Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Keoki pau
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2002 :  8:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
... sort of. we got to hear keoki kahumoku play at the hula grill a week ago, on saturday and sunday. he was playing guitar and had two young uke players with him (i didn't catch their names, but they were good and sang great). they worked the crowd well, and keoki was playing and singing as great as ever. but, that's it for keoki and these kind of shows. he moved to the big island on tuesday. he says that he wants to concentrate on touring more on the mainland and working on recording.

he has a new album out; it was supposed to hit the stores on july 4. i'm going to try to find it this weekend.

aloha,
keith

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2002 :  11:22:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, Keoki's move to the mainland is good news and bad news. The good news is that there is an increasing interest and market for Hawaiian music and hula on Moku Honua (the mainland). Part of it might be because there has been such an exodus of Hawaiian Locals to the ML because of bad economic conditions in HI (part of the bad news part). The other part of the bad news part is the continual, peculiar, unwillingness of hotels, and other venues, in Hawai`i to support Hawaiian music and musicians adequately. You would think that tourists and locals would be dying to hear real local music.

More good news, I think: in general, it seems that there is a growing resurgence in interest in Hawaiian music and dance throughout the general culture. Just this month there was an article in The Atlantic Monthly (a mag with a wide circulation) about the explosion of halau hula on the ML. Of course, halau need Hawaiian music. Also, Iz's fame keeps increasing (too bad it couldn't have been earlier :-( I keep overhearing his name in casual conversation in public places and his posthumous CD is selling really well. There are, increasingly, clips of slack key in between NPR news stories. And Dancing Cat albums are always in our local music store (Cutler's) in New Haven. So, Keoki is doing the smart thing, as George did, and moving to where the money is.

The life of a performing musician is never easy and usually requires exhausting touring, but that is what they have to do to make a name for themselves so that their CDs sell. Either that or have a day job - which is just as exhausting. I wish Keoki the best of luck and I bet that he comes back to the Islands after a while to refresh his spirit.

E ola na mele o Hawai`i!

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi reid,

i'm sorry, i was a bit unclear in my posting. when i wrote the "big island", i didn't mean the mainland. he's relocating to hilo. he said that he's quitting performing at venues like the hula grill and hotels, and plans on concentrating on recording and touring.

i agree, he's working on building his career at an opportune time, the hawaiian music movement seems to be slowly gaining steam on the mainland. i hope he succeeds, i really admire him.

it was great seeing him play again. his daughter did two hulas, too, it was a great ohana performance.

keith

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2002 :  11:51:12 AM  Show Profile
I guess I misunderstood, but "touring" suggests that he will do more ML concert appearances. I think it is inevitable, given George's seemingly successful pioneering foray. While in Hilo, he has sort of an open field; we were there for quite a long time and the music scene was a desert, unless you really liked rock or Jah or unless you were there at just the right festival moment. Hilo is a nice town though, and quite inexpensive to live in. (*super* ahi and aku, and *cheap* at the Suisan fish auction/market and great veggies and fruits at the farmers market nearby). Anyway, a good place for him to compose and record. I think we will get to see him and George in Deep River CT in August. That will be really nice.

Isn't his daughter a cutie? She is soooo sweet and pretty. She did a great hula at the last Aug. Beamer camp.

A hui hou,

Reid

Edited by - Reid on 07/09/2002 13:32:24
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  03:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, I had the privilege of seeing Keoki perform several times, and I believe he has quite the talent. Quick, witty, and what a voice! He has told us that he needed to leave Maui because the place was becoming too crowded. We also noticed a great dissatisfaction with the way the local people were treated (or I should say ignored) by hotel management and developers. I feel he wants to get back to his roots and get closer to the land, as well as tour and record. He's quite the hunter, and probably as good a farmer considering the history coming from his father. A really likeable guy all around, and a wonderful family. We're looking forward to taking instruction from him at Aloha Music Camp this August. Julie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000