Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Background info on "La Paloma"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2004 :  11:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I've been practicing Ray Kane's arrangement of "La Paloma" from Mark Hanson's "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" book. I was curious about the history of the tune (where it originated, when it was written, etc).

I ran across a site that goes into some detail about the history. It turns out that it's not a folk tune, but was composed in the mid-1800s. The tango-like rhythm (ONE and two AND THREE and FOUR) is based on a Cuban dance, the Habanera.

Those of you who have "La Paloma" in your repertoire may find the site interesting:

http://www.trikont.com/catalogue/la_paloma/220_la_paloma_1.html

Gary

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  04:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cool...thanks for the link Gary!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I thought Mark explained the background of La Paloma in his book. It was the first song I learned to play in slack key. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do......slack on!

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  1:50:28 PM  Show Profile
The habanera is a great rhythm. One of the most famous habaneras was written by Chabrierre entitled, "Habanera" (lots of recordings, and often played in "pops" concerts -- it's initial theme is easily played in Taro Patch and I very often use it as a jumping off point for improvisation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000