Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Fluke ukes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  03:40:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
I've read a lot of good things about the Fluke ukes. Has anyone played, bought or otherwise took it out for a spin. It kind of looks like it belongs in King Arthur's Court but many say that sound and playability are awesome for under $200. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Juan

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  09:10:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

One of the very first ukuleles that I bought was a Tenor fluke with a rosewood fretboard. I bought a Tiki Fluke from the Tiki-King so I paid more than a standard Fluke. I really like this ukulele.

Pros:
It sounds incredible
Stays in tune up & down the neck
Great price for the sound & the feel

Cons:
Due to the rounded back is a little slippery to hold
I have no experience with the molded fretboard, but some owners have reported problems seeing the black molded frets. And there is some concern about wear on the fretboard from the strings. But others will have to address those issues.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi juan,

we got my father in law a fluke tenor, and i've played it a lot. i pretty much agree with goto636's evaluation. it has, to my ears, a bit of a banjo sound to it, but it's a well made responsive ukulele.

before getting a fluke, though, try to do a side-by-side comparison with a lanikai. many of my friends replaced their flukes with lanikais. they have comparable prices, and the lanikai, like the fluke, is an inexpensive quality ukulele.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  11:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Keith, you mean inexpensive quality-ukulele rather than inexpensive-quality ukulele, right?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Sheila has a Flea (soprano version of the Fluke - roughly a hundred bucks) and is happy with it. It doesn't compare with her old Martin soprano, though.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
craig, thanks for the correct grouping. both are good quality ukes that don't cost a lot.

i've never tried playing a flea...

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2004 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile
I've had a Fluke concert for almost 2 years. For the money they're a wonderful deal. They play well, have great intonation and project well.
Go to Top of Page

Lowell
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  6:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lowell's Homepage
These things are awesome. My family and I all play several different size Kamaka's and are very, very loyal to Kamaka (We have 4). But my daughter owns the Fluke and I gotta tell ya, this thing rocks. For a little flair, I bought her the Mookoolele (looks like cowhide). Odd to hold at times on stage (but aren't all ukes?) Incredible tone and volume. She plays it daily and makes it sound like a million bucks. I have recommended that if my students can't buy a Kamaka, that they buy a Fluke or a Flea. Several have. And not one complaint among them. When Uncle George Kahumoku stayed with us in Ventura he played the heck out of it and had alot of fun with it. So that is my long winded way of saying go get one! Aloha, Lowell
Go to Top of Page

Juan
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2004 :  7:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Lowell,
Thanks for the imput on the Fluke. Now for a follow up question: As a loyal Kamaka owner and player, have you had a chance to play a Koaloha? It seems that these two companies are pretty closely priced and share a high level of craftsmanship in their ukes. Thanks in advance.
Juan
Go to Top of Page

Lowell
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  01:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lowell's Homepage
Aloha Juan

I have been really lucky to play most ukes out there because of family on my wife's side (Hawaiian) and just being in the business for so long. I do like Koaloha, nice tone, durable, good overall feel. But at that level, I'm still just really stuck on the Kamaka. I think on stage and in a microphone especially, they hold up better than just about anything. I know I always pay more for Kamaka than the others offer, but for me it's how they play in my living room at midnight for me and the all important stage durability and tone we need when we perform. I guess it really does come down to what your ear needs to hear. That's how I buy all of my instruments. Tone, baby, tone.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  8:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i'd like to support lowell's point: it's about tone. and, what you like in tone is a personal thing. when buying ukes, guitars and wine, i never buy without trying it first.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  9:31:23 PM  Show Profile
I've said before, I've never bought a guitar. They buy me. It's usually feel and tone, which as Keith said, is a personal thing. Having said that I did buy a hand made uke from Dennis Lake (Po Mahina) sight unseen and am totally amazed by it.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  7:31:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Having said that I did buy a hand made uke from Dennis Lake (Po Mahina) sight unseen and am totally amazed by it.

You just can't go wrong with a Po Hahina. I have a mango tenor and it is an "amazing" instrument.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  8:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Steve,

You're right about Po Mahina. I've known Dennis for a few years and ordered a Mango back and sides, spruce top, with Koa bindings. He delivered it at Aloha Music Camp. It was played and admired by many. The next step is to have him build me a guitar. He's a wonderful craftsman and great human being.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  8:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Having said that I did buy a hand made uke from Dennis Lake (Po Mahina) sight unseen and am totally amazed by it.
Very good point (and a very good uke!!)... I've put my faith in his capable hands too. I did the same with Paul Kitakis and am delighted that I did.

With luthiers like Dennis and Paul where you've tried their instruments before, you can be more trusting.

Keith (dreaming of my future po` mahina)

Keith
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  10:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

The way you play uke, you're more deserving of it than I am. I appreciated you playing it for me so I know what it's supposed to sound like. May your days be filled with Po Mahinas and any other ukes you want to play.

Since this thread is about Flukes. I like the way they play. I even convinced my old friend Rick Leachman, who owns Off Shore Music in Santa Cruz to stock them. Those of you in that area should check him out. He's an independent music store and a cool guy. Besides, he's a great alternative to the majors.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000