Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Camp pain decision 2005...vote here.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  06:08:29 AM  Show Profile
So I know the basic days ( and choice required) for our beloved June Camps, any early word on artists and players who are on board?
How was Molokai last year?
Any specific strengths or weaknesses...?
and ditto for Maui camp followers...?
We really enjoyed Maui, but I am not committed yet...although it's been suggested!

Ozzie, Led, Keokki, Brozman, and Nancy and George were super, the location is a treasure (only 2 more years there?) and the Maui slack key festival was a dream day for me...unexpectedly so.
And the commraderie--even for this gregarious lone wolf--was a blessing and memory to be cherished.
So I guess that's one thumb's up for Maui 04!
But Keola was putting a strong word in for his June camp when I spoke with him in Denver...
Caught between two moons.
G

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  06:12:54 AM  Show Profile
ooops, meant to post this on slack key side...guess I slude into 1st base.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just a little quick housecleaning... I deleted your "redundant" announcement post and moved your original over here.

Okay now to the topic at hand. I have attended both camps and enjoyed them both. Just like each island has its own personality, so does each camp and their instructors. Many here would attend both if scheduling allowed for it. It's nice when you have a decision where your choices are paradise versus paradise.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  11:44:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi gordon,

the location of aloha music camp in kaupoa is one of the biggest draws for me. it's right on a pocket beach at the end of a long dirt road coming down from mauna loa. it's a pristine spot on the kona side of moloka`i. every morning i would take a long run up the dirt road before the sun would come up, enjoying the veiw of the mountains up top and the wildlife along the road. at night you can see the lights of oahu in the distance.

the biggest problem is that it's a bit of a haul at midnight for a bread run. actually, the real problem is that it's a bit of a haul back to kaupoa with the car filled with the smell of that bread.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 10/26/2004 12:03:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile
From http://www.kahumoku.com/workshop2005.htm

Slack Key Guitar Staff:
George Kahumoku Jr, Keoki Kahumoku, Cyril Pahinui, Ozzie Kotani, Dennis Kamakahi, Carlos Andrade

Culture Staff:
Ku'ulei and Evalani Palakiko (hula for men and women, chanting, Hawaiian language), Edna Farden Bekeart (songwriting), Maile Bailey (Weaving and/or lei making).

Ukulele Staff:
Keoki Kahumoku, David Kamakahi, Rama Camarillo, Kimo Hussey, and Da Ukulele Boyz (Peter deAquino, Garrett Probst)

June 18 - 26, $850 plus lodging
(tell Wilma at the Mauian that you will be a workshop participant, for a reduced rate.)
=====================================

From http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/

The Beamer Family and Friends
Keola Beamer • Slack Key Guitar
Moanalani Beamer • Hula
Nona Beamer • Stories and Songs of Old Hawai`i
Kaliko Beamer-Trapp • Hawaiian Language and Culture

June 18 - 24, includes lodging:
$1600 Beach Bungalow
$1100 Spouse/Companion
$ 450 Child 12 and under with full adult registration.
(Children 5 and under are free!)
$1850 Private Platform, double (per person.)
$2250 Private Platform, single
$2100 Moloka`i Lodge (per person, dbl occupancy)
$2600 Moloka`i Lodge, single

FYI to all -- inter-island airfare is climbing; you might wanna book that ASAP.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  3:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Mahalo to Aunty Maria for posting the info on the Aloha Camp.

We are still finalizing our staff at this time, but you can expect to see some old freinds and new faces. As in past years we will include instruction in slack key, `ukulele and hula at all levels, plus Hawaiian language and culture, traditional hawaiian crafts, talk story, and more.

I'll post the info here the minute it becomes available.

Except for posting staff announcements, I promise to keep out of this discussion thread. I am anxious to read what everyone has to say.

As Andy said, it is hard to chose.

Cheers,

Mark Kailana Nelson
Aloha Music Camp Admin Guy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I haven't attended either camp, but I can say that Ozzie and Keoki are two of the best music teachers I've run across so far. (Aside from their obvious talent and charming personalities, they're both very patient and thorough and are excellent at explaining things in an easy-to-understand way.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 10/26/2004 3:38:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2004 :  10:26:37 PM  Show Profile
Just to try to make your decision harder:

My vote for the...

Best Hawaiian language teacher

(at least for those of us who speak English)....

is.....

Simon Kaliko Beamer Trapp !

(this man is a very entertaining form of a walking enclyclopedia!)

and for:

Best Hawaiian story teller is....

Auntie Nona Beamer

(followed in a close electoral count by George Kahumoku)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/27/2004 10:28:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  09:20:08 AM  Show Profile
What Lawrence said!

Kaliko is one of the best, and most engaging, teachers I have ever had. And, I have had many educational stars at a certain college and university known for them, so I have some reference points. Kaliko can make you have fun learning regardless of your knowledge level - and it it includes culture as well as language. As a bonus, he serves as Keola's straight man.

As for Auntie Nona... nothing more need be said.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  12:20:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I just got the pun in the title of this topic...very clever Gordon!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2004 :  2:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Both camps are really outstanding (we have attended both). You can't make a wrong decision (except not to go )

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  02:11:44 AM  Show Profile
We're checkin' our airmiles and budget!
And of course, all these rave reviews aren't making the decision any easier...
But must Go West.
Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's a quick update on the Aloha Camp Staff:

The Beamer Family and Friends
Keola Beamer • Slack Key Guitar
Moanalani Beamer • Hula
Nona Beamer • Stories and Songs of Old Hawai`i & `ukulele for keiki
Kaliko Beamer-Trapp • Hawaiian Language and Culture

with:
John Keawe - slack key guitar
Hope Keawe - hula
Kevin Brown - slack key guitar and Hawaiian song (& Bread Run....)
Byron Yasui - `ukulele
Liko Puha - oli (chant) - two classes for newbies and returning campers
Dennis Lake - Build Your Own `Ukulele

and more to come...

cheers,

Mark Kailana Nelson
Camp Administrator & Pinch Hitter -- arranging for slack key & swing guitar

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  2:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

I guess this means more sleepless nights playing with Kevin with a couple hour interuption going on a Bread Run. Oh boy, I can't wait. Thanks once again for the hard work.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:31:10 PM  Show Profile
I definitely agree. I got the Immersion series, and it's funny to hear a guy with an English accent speaking such good Hawaiian, but he is REALLY easy to follow, and it doesn't matter how much/little you know, though it does help the more Hawaiian you already know to follow the stories. The Halau is also having a long-distance class from Hawai'i.

We're having yet ANOTHER week off Hula this week (how much rest can we stand? :) and our Christmas party got postponed because we had a fund-raiser Christmas dinner, so we have that yet to look forward to. And my slack-key is totally in a SLUMP. I went to see the Beamers in Tucson, and Moana had a Hula class, but there was nothing about guitar. I couldn't sleep all that night in the motel, and I came home really tired and down about slack-key (because it's so difficult to get real live human beings to play with). But my neighbors love it, and even the guys who work in the big guitar store like it and told me I'm "rare". One of these days I'll get back into it. It's just 2 years of doing it myself. Thank Akua for Uncle what's his name. Oh, sorry. Moon. I was just having a brain futt. But he just got married, so I'm not bugging them for kani ka pila, plus he likes to take me from the Keola Beamer SLOW pace to really trying to keep up with his Cajun slack-key. The main problem was I didn't know where the cords were from Keola's lessons, and Moon is sitting there calling out stuff like "A7" and "D-minor", and I have NO CLUE where they are :) So I'm working on that, albeit I don't know much about making minor cords.

Back to hiding from this board. I blush real easy.

Auntie Mau
(or whatever Kaimi decides I am this week)

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Just to try to make your decision harder:

My vote for the...

Best Hawaiian language teacher

(at least for those of us who speak English)....

is.....

Simon Kaliko Beamer Trapp !

(this man is a very entertaining form of a walking enclyclopedia!)

and for:

Best Hawaiian story teller is....

Auntie Nona Beamer

(followed in a close electoral count by George Kahumoku)

Me ke aloha,
Maulena
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:48:35 PM  Show Profile
I have to add, I got compliments from our apartment management staff on both my slack-key and my Hula, which is really nice. I just freeze in front of "slack-key masters" and can't play anything. I just started a new job and can't go to Maui this year, so I just hope some day in my life I can see the Hawai'i I'm so entirely dedicated to. It looks really nice in the pictures, and I got that Adam Sandler movie now at home, so I can see it big on my TV, but the stars look fake. They can't possibly have that many stars over there, but digital computer stuff, they can stick them into movies by special effects. Anyway, it's been raining and raining, so our drought is OVER after so many years!!! So I gotta go out with my horse tomorrow, but it's too muddy to ride, and he is just recovering from pulling his right front shoulder really bad. Where Beamers were gonna play in Cave Creek, and the resort they were staying at, it's like 5-10 minutes away from the ranch. But we don't have to go to Cave Creek any more because they put us up a tack/feed store and an Equine Hospital right on the corner there.

Beamer concert was great, funny and serious and everything like. Occasional jokes. But that was a really long drive for me going down in rush hour. Coming home was a lot faster. But Dale told me I could do it. Okay, well, I gotta see Jeannie tomorrow, and I missed the Christmas party. I hope all your horses and families are doing good, too.

Me ke aloha,
Maulena
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000