Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Camp pain decision 2005...vote here.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  07:31:10 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I just have to reply to Maureen because it has been over a week since I have seen any stars at all, and they don't expect the skies here to clear up for at least another week, plus I'm still all miffed that Keola isn't coming anywhere within 500 miles of where I live...

I haven't seen the movie you are talking about, and they may very well be CGI, but I can tell you that most likely Hawai`i does have all those stars. I am very familiar with the stars from a lifetime of staring at the skies (my family believes that I am most likely to die by walking off a cliff while staring upward rather than at the ground). When I visit Hawai`i, I am frequently unable to pick out even the most basic constellations because there are so many background stars overwhelming the familiar patterns. It is glorious in the truest sense of the word. I truly hope you do get out there someday. I can attest from personal experience that Kaupoa is one of the most beautiful places in the world to just lie down on your back and watch the stars wheeling overhead as the lapping of the waves mixes with the faintest hints of guitars being played in the distance

Sigh...just about 23 more weeks to go....
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  08:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Last summer I rented a cabin at Waianapanapa State Park on Maui after hearing it was one of the darkest places on earth and good for skygazing.
Yep. Cloudy all night.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  1:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jesse!
Try it again sometime! We used to go out there with the kids when they were little. One time in the freezer of our unit we found a whole sack of opihi!!! Someone was sure mad when they got home without their treasure! It's a great place to use as home base for exploring out there without the expense.
And yes, our drought is over and I'm tired of rain here in LA. But new yrs first light, I saw a really neat meteoryte in the east. So we have lots of stars between the clouds. Kaupoa has to be awesome...
And since threads hang in odd ways -
I have a friend who lives inside the arctic circle in Norway. He spent the summer and we took him waterskiing out at Lake Havesu (desert) It was so hot and we camped. He had never seen the stars before!!! Think about it - in the summer, they never have darkness to see the stars, and in winter, you surely can't lie out all night and look at them. I didn't realize how totally cool we have it here.
Aloha all - it's no longer quite so far to camp.
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Islandboo!!!!!!! Come to California January 28, you can see Keola and Moana and John and Chris and Donley! And Cathe! Come, come...
Julie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  03:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Julie, you have no idea how very, very much I would love to do that. Unfortunately, I have tried my best to work it out over the last couple of months (Chris had told me about the tour, so I got the dates as soon as they were available) and the money just isn't there. I still have to get together the rest of the payment for Camp and airfare (which from the Midwest to Hawai`i is always a hundred or so dollars more than from either coast). I will have to content myself with my CDs, my imagination, and show reports from those of you lucky enough to see them.

Me ke aloha,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile

Ah, but Princess, you'll be with us in spirit......not that that's any terrific consolation, I know. Sure wish you could e komo mai!
But looking forward to seeing you this summer...Auntie Cathe

cathe
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  2:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mark:

If I'm not mistaken, there was some mention on TP at one time that the thought of a February 2006 Aloha Music Camp was in the works (but not confirmed). Any more thoughts to this idea? It may solve some of the conflicting-of-camps dilemma that seems to be popping up now and again.

Mahalo!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Maggie,

Check out http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2233

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  2:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo Dave!

Just saw the posting as I was getting into older threads. Looks like it may be happening in February! Yay! I may get to go on that famous "bread run" yet!

Maggie

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  08:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yep, it's happening. Feb 5 - 11, 2006. Kaupoa Beach Village on the magical Island of Molokai. Details will be posted on the camp website next month.

I understand they are laying in an extra large stash of flour & eggs at the bakery.

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 01/13/2005 09:35:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2005 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mark!
And I understand you're adding the bread run into the schedule!
more cheer -
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
I will be returning to Moloka`i for my second AMC this June-and can't wait. The BIGGEST drawback last year was the travel, namely Island Air. Their "fleet' at the time consisted of one over-worked plane and so many of us encountered major delays both coming and going. Can anyone here cheer me up and tell me that Island Air has gotten their act together. I'm close to booking my flights. Any thought?
Tommy Cheng
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  12:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
It says in the subject line that we can vote.
I cast my ballot for Fairbanks Alaska in June. Warm (really, it is usually in the 70s-80s...ABOVE zero, wise guy), sunny (we don;t get a lot of rain in June), very little wind, 24 hour daylight for extra long jam sessions. Only drawback is mosquitos, but, they don;t eat much, and their incessent buzzing is a nice background sound for nahenahe slack key. Eb, i think, so bring your capos

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  08:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Tommy -

Island Air is well aware of the mess they created last year and has made a huge effort to get it right. They have been working closely with a number of people on Molokai -- I'd expect much better service.

Of course, there's always something that can happen -- that's one reason we added the extended camp option. I'd suggest coming in a day early in any case so you won't be jet lagged. The Hotel Molokai is an inexpensive place to stay, and lots of fun.

It's also why I'm a big fan of both the charters & the Ferry. If you fly to Maui & take the ferry, you get a sweet boat ride -- best way to see the Islands.

BTW: When Annie & I went to Molokai last winter to check out the site, we rode the ferry and were treated to the sight of dozens of whales leaping and playing all around us. Best, and cheapest, whale watch cruise in the Islands. So, if you are thinking about attending our February '06 camp, by all means take the ferry.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Molly
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  2:56:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Mark! Please give my love to Annie! I miss her SO much! Well..u too of courseHopefully I will see you in June, if not...Feb.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000