Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Big Island Kanikapila (and food!)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  08:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I want to tell all of you about some events that I witnessed over the weekend. I am beginning to understand how little the Hawaiian culture is understood by most people who move to Hawaii. I have been here since 1995, and am just starting to scratch the surface.

Part 1
I had an amazing eye opener on Sunday night. We went to a "CD Release Party" for a young Hawaiian musician named Bulla. It was held in the luau grounds at King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel.

Observations:
1) It was attended by 95% local Hawaiians, with the attendance around 150 to 200 people. There were very few non-Hawaiians in the audience, even though it was advertised well on KAPA. Kona just got 2 new radio stations. One is Oldies rock, and the other is Country music. I guess that most of us bring our musical preferences with us from the mainland. Not that this is bad, but it does indicate the direction that culture is going here in Kona.

2) It was a "family affair" - extended "ohana". The MC seemed to know the names and family history of at least half the audiance. There were genuine hugs and tears for this young man whose family and friends had come together to support him and his band. They raffled off bags of sun-dried opelu and aku (fish) among other things (VIP ticket holders, who were mostly kumu hula [hula teachers] and "aunties" were given free bags at their tables, which they happily passed around to each other during the concert), and the MC jokingly told the audiance, "If you are visiting, and you win some fish, you don't have to keep it - they aren't very good...Just give 'em back and we will draw another ticket." The audience roared with laughter. (More fish for them!) I realized that these people all grew up together on an island. Most of them learned to sing in church. They are a very close community.

3) I was sitting next to a friend of mine (Chris Yeaton, a young professional slack key artist who will be touring with Keola Beamer on the mainland this winter.) He turned to me and said; "I can't believe that I am getting to see this. This is the closest thing to a true Hawaiian luau that I have ever seen." Chris was raised in Hawaii.

4) There were 5 or 6 Hawaiian groups. These days, the typical Hawaiian band seems to consist of a rhythm guitar (6 or 12 string and almost always an Ovation) An ukulele or second guitar taking the pa'ani. An electric or upright bass. Much of the music was reminicent of early "Hui Ohana". The vocals were all very tight, and usually 3 or 4 parts.

5) The food was authentic Hawaiian, the music was authentic Hawaiian, the hula was authentic Hawaiian, and the aloha was authentic Hawaiian. It felt more like a big family reunion than anything else. The smell of maile lei filled the evening air, there were dolphins jumping in the sea less than 200' away, and there was a rainbow over Hualalai.

Part 2
I understand that until recently, there were several restaurants in Waimea where local people would get together and bring their 'ukulele and guitars. They would eat, sing, play traditional Hawaiian music and have a great time. The Hawaiian term, 'kanikapila" (pronounced ka-nee-ka-pee-la) is used for this kind of event. Evidently, new owners are taking over these restaurants and discontinuing the practice. Bruddah Smitty has started to hold a kanikapila at Daniel Thiebault's restaurant in Waimea once a month, but the turnout isn't the same as he got when Parker Ranch Grill was hosting him. (It's a more "haole" restaurant for one thing. The local crowd might not know they don't have to order a "fancy" dinner, but can order great pupus and drinks instead. I hope the word will spread. Smitty is a wonderful singer who used to play with Gabby Pahinui's band "The Sons of Hawaii".) Keauhou Shopping Center has been good about holding Hawaiian concerts and events in their outdoor courtyard. The King Shops in Waikoloa is another. The Bamboo restaurant hosts slack key artist John Keawe once a week, and it attracts a nice crowd when he plays there. If you live in Puna, you are very lucky, as there is a very active community of hula dancers and musicians there. Keep an eye open for Hawaiian music/hula events, and let us know.

"Ha'ina mai ana ka puana" (And now the story has been told.)
If you have any appreciation or curiosity about Hawaiian culture, you should watch for events like the ones I have mentioned. Nothing gets you closer to the 'aina than hanging out with the kama'aina!

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 11/30/2004 08:53:53 AM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  09:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the peek into local life. Unfortunately, we can't all experience it the way you did.
When I'm with my Hawaiian family, I get a look into what life is like for Hawaiians while I was growing up on the mainland.
Lucky you live Big Island!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2004 :  10:55:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha 'auinela

I'll be on the Big Island the first 2 weeks of January, both the West and East sides, and will seek out more Hawai'ian culture, especially kika ki ho'alu and the langauge. I like to try everything. I welcome suggestions from anyone to expand my appreciation of all things Hawai'ian. As before, I have to climb Mauna Loa and go see Pele at Pu'u O'o. I have music in the works for these almost spiritual experiences. Moses Kahumoku wrote "Pohakuloa" to honor a rocky place on Mauna Kea. Its a super song. Many thanks to Karl of the Frozen North for his tab to help me with it.

E malama pono

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  8:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Aloha,
Good topic. My wife and I are new and part time to the Big Island. Off island now, we will be back next week. Sorry we missed that show!

I will add to this post with some observations....

We saw Chris play with John and another guy at a house in Waikoloa last July. It was held at some guys house down the street - very cool.
Chris promoted this show in the paper and it was well attended. It was not a luau though. Someday maybe, we will make that scene.

You know something is different when you are one of the few Caucasians at an event and you get called that - happens more in Hilo.

Our best times have come from having no intentions and finding good fortune with the people we meet. It has helped to carry our ukes. Go someplace remote, sit and play. Hawaiians (and other peoples) of like mind seem to appear out of nowhere to share these times.

The cutest was a young guy who seemed to be courting a girl with his songs. She was a clerk in a shop off the main route. After a good hour of his playing outside, she finally gave him a nod by coming outside and dancing a hula to one of his songs. No words were spoken. After that, she went back to work. He had the biggest smile you ever saw. His songs became more upbeat.

Here's whishing that we all have the chance to allow such fortune to bless us. Ya never know...

John

PS. Anyone knowing of events coming soon near Waikoloa or Waimea we are all ears. We'll go try to find Brudda Smitty near Kamuela.

Let's go back to the valley, one more time. = ) ...Ekolu
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  07:00:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Call Daniel Thibault's Restaurant and talk to Aunty Betty. I have heard that Smitty will be playing on Dec. 19th. I sure plan to be there... Smitty is REALLY worth hearing. There are times when he sounds identical to his mentor - Gabby Pahinui. Hope to meet you there John. And, Jeff, keep your ears open. Ask Aunty Betty when Smitty will be playing in January. If you are in Kona on January 9th, please come by the Kona Brewing Company, and introduce yourself. Hana Aloha will be playing. I will introduce you to Don Kauli'a and Lenard Kaniho. Both fine Hawaiian musicians.
Finally, if you bring your instruments to the King Kamehameha Beach Hotel on Friday AM - around 11AM - there are a group of kupuna who play and sing vintage Hawaiian. I like to join them.

Aloha,
-Konabob

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 12/13/2004 07:01:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Konabob
I'll be sure to find you. Many thanks for the great help!
Jeff

Jeff Watkins
Go to Top of Page

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2004 :  10:25:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Thanks, We'll try to be there.

John

Go to Top of Page

UncaJohn
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  09:17:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit UncaJohn's Homepage
Hello,

We found out it was John Keawe up there last night at DT's. So, we went to that. I looked at Kona Bob's web site and saw he had a mustache. We went to the show happy to find the guy with the mustache. Well, we had to smile when every guy in the place had a mustache and couldn't remember much more than that about you - Bob -than that.

Needless to say, finding the guy with a mustache is like finding the guy with the Hawaiian print shirt -- you would have to talk to everyone!

None the less, we had a great time getting in the spirit of slack key and Hawaiian Christmas music last night. As some of you know you, can get some great hula at Keawe show too! Hope and john greeted us very well and reminded us of the Felton show with Keola Beamer in January.

Today we'll visit Auntie Margie for Uke lessons, and we will try to get down to Kona on Friday - if we can. I'm sure we'll find more of the kind taropatchers sooner or later.

John (in Waikoloa)

Go to Top of Page

seldomfed
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  10:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit seldomfed's Homepage
KonaBob,

please explain pa'ani ? I've not heard that term.

thanks!
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  12:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Pa`ani - lead break, solo

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile
*Literally*, pa`ani means "play", sometimes used as a command (and if you don't know what it means, when somebody says it to you, you freeze?), sometimes as a noun, as Fran explained. You gotta make an effort to learn some Hawaiian Chris. OTW, you are out of the loop.
...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
My wife and I recently spent a week on Hawaii. I had done a little research; contacted Konabob via email, he led me to John Keawe. I went to John;s website http://johnkeawe.com/ and found his playing dates,noting them in my day planner. I also set up a lesson with John via email. We arrived Dec. 23., went up to Hawi (John's home town) to the Bamboo Reataurant where he plays often. Got to meet him and finalize our lesson date, and to meet Hope. My wife even was persuaded (Ok, cajoled?, brow-beaten?, embarrassed?) into doing a hula with Hope and several others on this wonderful Christmas eve. I had taken John;s adice and bought two of his cds prior to coming so I could hear his playing and decide which songs I might wish to learn; i found it highly gratifiying o watch him play the two I had picked to learn, and see that my fingerings i had figured out were almost identical to his.
I then went to see John again at one of the hotels in Waikoloa (Bora BOra Lounge) on the 26th, then to his home on the 28th for the lesson. I don;t consider myself much of a player, my only forte seems to be the ability to figure out how to play something by ear and then writing it down so i don;t forget it; I never seem to be able to play what I learn though, so I was understandably nervous to be in the company of such a talented player as John. Actually, the two previous meetings at his gigs had given me a sense that things might go more smoothly than I had suspected, and if fact that is what happened. We sat on John's back porch for two of the fastest hours I have ever spent, I never felt imtimidated, John is a very patient and thorough teacher, and I would reccommend that experience to anyone. The only down side was, Hope was out doing errands and we did not get a chance to visit with her, too.
Uncle John,
I found it quite easy to tell which one Konabob was; he was the one who showed up at our hotel room door with his Weissenborn! He was the one with the moustache!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Konabob,
First off, thanks so much for coming over to the hotel the night before we left for Kauai. It was really very special to meet you and get a start on learning a little hawaiian slide. We got 3 days of the rain you got while you were there:)
I wanted to mention a small taste of your experience we had on Kauai. I have gotten a lot better about how to find out where the music is being played on the islands. I contacted Auntie Maria, i went to local guitar shops, I talked wtih local club and restaurant owners. We found a young group playing at Wahoo's in Kapa'a on a Sunday night. All hawaiian, local group, last name DeFreese (?) consisting of brother on lead guitar, sister on uke and hula, another brother on base, cousin on 8string uke. All sang. All hawaiian music. Lots of hula, lots of audience (mostly hawaiian, all local) participation in hula. It was a great time.
Also the local BOunty Music store assistant manager, Greg Germano, a recent resident of the island, but long time slacker from portland area, had the most info on who plays where. We got to see Ken Emerson at Princeville Hotel where he plays 2-3 night s weekly. Got to eat dinner with (well, OK,next to; I only introduced myself after they were done eating so as not to bother them) the McMasters in Hanalei and talked about their new cds. Found out about several other musicians playing around; did not have time to make it to see Cindy Combs but did manage to squeeze in a lesson with Hal Kinnamon. He, too, was a verypatient and generous instructor and i learned a lot from him in those two hours. I also got to meet another TPer, Dusty Foster and his wife Sheila. We met at the princeville while watching Ken Emerson (we had planned that by email, then phone) and played to gether next morning for a couple hours. Our last evening I spent with Greg Germano, and he taught me yet another song that was fun to play. BTW, he confirmed that Bounty Mujsic does indeed rent guitars, for about $50 a week! Just entry level stuff, but it beats hauling the Taylor or vintage Martin through the airline's capricioous baggage system; one of our bags on the way back went to LA insteasd of AK! Glad it was only clothing and not my guitar!
All in all, i (we, my wife enjoyed it, too, even if she was a guitar widow for several hours a day as i practiced, listened to , bought, toured (KKCR in Hanalei with Auntie Maria and Uncle Bob) or took lessons on my guitar.) had a great time, filled with musical opportunities and am looking forward to another trip as soon as I can. Next time, i wish to focus on the people, meet more hawaiians, forget the sights and touristy things and learn about the land.
Oh, almost forgot, while waiting to board the plane in Kauai, there were two fellows playing hawaiian music int the lobby. Ernesto on stel, and , I think, Arturo on guitar and vocals. They have a group, Olehana, and play at the airport often. I sAat front and center and watched and enjoyed their playing. They were both quite the cut-ups and obviously having way too much fun! I asked it they played any slack key. As usual, their eyebrows went up; the steel player motioned to the gutar player and said he does, but the guitar man demured. They asked what was the instrument in the bag i was carrying ( a Martin Backpacker that goes everywhere with me, even when i have my main guitar in baggage) then asked if I played slack key. I told them yes, a little, and they invited me up to play. I am such a wuss! I just cannot bring myself to play in front of people, even when as the guitar player told me, "Hey, nobody knows you, and nobody is listening anyway". So the steel player played tow slack key tunes, How Do You Do nad one other, just for me. Needless to say, I bought one of their CDs:). What NICE people.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi Karl,
You had a great time! If I had been traveling by myself or with my wife, I would probably have found a lot more going on. I was on a "Christmas Vacation" with my wife, her sister, and mother. Needless to say, my time was quite occupied by that. I did try calling Ken Emerson on his cell, but I kept getting his answering machine. I figured he was still in California. Still I had a couple of great moments on Oahu. I bumped into Alan Akaka, wearing a Santa Clause hat. He is a well respected steel guitarist here in Hawaii. I also got to hear the broz. Cazamaro.

Ok, time for a Kona sunset, and a little steel guitar... off I go...
See you next time you come to Kona.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile
I just caught this old thread, and KB's post.
I agree that the old way is such a treasure...and if I ever live in Hawaii, I pray I can find a bunch of "the old way" of relating alive--music, family, food, and traditional cultural always surviving and thriving.

But some of doz other people-- their only culture is in their pearls.

So what's goin' on while we on Big Island, Jan 26-Feb 7...
Got links?

See ya near the end of the circle Uncle Bob.
G
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2005 :  4:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Gordon,
Definitely check out John Keawe's web site for his play dates. If you want a lesson, he da man.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000