Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Palo Alto Benefit Concert!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  08:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha!
I'd like to posit an idea to present a ki ho'alu concert in Palo Alto near the end of January/early February to benefit tsunami victims. My nursery school is a non-profit org, which would facilitate having a venue donated.
I asked Patrick if we might be able to hook Dennis into it, but it doesn't look like that will fly. At the least, I figgah we can rope in enough of us Patchers to do a show, have fun and do the good work.
So.... Who's up for this? Remember, I know where most of you bay area slackers live, so don't think you can hide! You could either post a response or e-mail me, no mattah.
Tanks, eh?

Bwop

Edited by - Bwop on 01/18/2005 1:19:26 PM

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  09:19:32 AM  Show Profile
Great idea -
When you get it set up, please send something suitable for us to use to advertise it. I have lots of friends up there who would love it (i think). In fact, if you have a flyer, we could get it out to a number of bigger companies etc.
mahalo for great idea and taking the effort to pull it together.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  3:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Pending the date, I could play
Get in touch with me with details
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Of course, Pulelehua and I would be willing to play
something.

With enough advance notice, we might even be able to
play something well.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/03/2005 09:01:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile
I'd be more than happy to lend a lima. As with the others, it would be pending date and time. Maybe you could also get some help and/or sponsorship through Sun Jose Hawaii and the Palo Alto Hukilau.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Dave-- Nice ideas!!
Aloha e Lawrence-- know any particular church auditoriums that might be good venues??
Tanks!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Yes BWOP,

I can think of two popular PA venues, both are churches.

One is the Unitarian Universalist church on Charleston Road.
Many events have been put on there: The Gryphon carollers,
Pekelo, lots of folk stuff and some national bluegrass bands.

Another is the Unity Church on Middlefield where we have seen
Led and Keola and George and Ozzie (thanks to Wendi Stitt).

Maybe even Steven Sano would help you get the use of some
Stanford facility (like Dinkelspiel Auditorium - where we last
saw the Gryphon ensemble). Give him a ring at the U and see
what he says, he just might be receptive (an he can play, too).

There is also Cubberly Auditorium where we saw Cyril during a
PICA event. This is a city owned venue, Melinda can find out
how to book.

I have no idea what fees are charged by any of these venues
and am not a member of either church, but I am sure I can
contact some members of either church.

I can help with the Sound Equipment at any of these Venues, as
I have mixers and amps, etc.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/03/2005 10:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:28:11 AM  Show Profile
BWOP -
I'm friends with Sun JOse Hawaii people, so I'm sure we can get publicity from them. I would even be willing to talk about some $$ backing -- that's just my idea.
Don't forget Vern and the ganf at Aloha Friday for publicity.

I also know Steve, so if you're not comfortable approaching him, I can do that.

I'm wondering if a place like Hukilau or maybe touch of aloha in Milpitas wouldn't be better -- they already have publicity stuff in place.

Just ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  8:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha ahiahi e Bwop,

Sounds great, and Larry and I would love to attend if it is after January 29th. That is, of course, when our friends the Beamers come to Felton to perform. That show includes John Keawe and Chris Yeaton, and we just can't miss that. (We're ground transportation for them!) Hugs and smooches, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 01/03/2005 8:23:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  10:36:07 AM  Show Profile
And Julie raises a good point:

If this is a serious fundraiser, you are going to need a BIG DRAW talent, to head the bill.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  11:22:15 AM  Show Profile
I spoke with ffiends at SanJose Hawaii -- they think this has the potential to be a significant event -- their suggestion is to include a few local bands that draw good crowds as well as halau -- these folks have a good sense of the community of "Hawai'i-philes" and think there's real potential here -- They've given me some good contacts.
BWOP - if you want to pursue this direction, get in touch with me.
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  1:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha nui loa all!!
Thank you for all your great ideas! My personal feeling is that 1), I want to do something as quickly as possible (when help is most needed, and still the need is freash in people's minds) and 2), keep it within the modest scope of what I imagine I can put together effectively. I had mentioned trying to get Dennis, but that his schedule wouldn't work. I figgah, though, that we have an amazing amount of talent, right here, right now, and can put together a really fun, "professional" show for a good cause well. I love the idea of drawing in a halau or two (you know who you are...). I had thought of using my son's reggae band, Pacific Vibrations, but figgah mo' bettah to keep this one true to form (they will probably do their own benefit). I'll try to secure a venue within the next two days (thanks for tips, Lawrence!), and once we get a time and place, work on structure. Perhaps, we can figgah on how many of us want to play, divide time slots, and have a large kanikapila at the end. If we have, say, a 400 sear hall, suggest a $20 donation, and produce a two/three hour show, it will at least provide several thousands of dollars for the benefit and give a bunch of people (including us) a great time.
At this point, I'm looking at the afternoon or evening of Saturday, February 5th. How's that by you all (Raymond, Lawrence, Cynthia, Dave, Julie & Larry??). Ed & Helen??? Who else wanna come play??

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Great idea BWOP! I would like to help in anyway though I will be pretty much out of of the loop strating end of January, all Feburary and March. Let me know how I can help!! You definately have enough talent here!!I'll take 3 tickets already!

Patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  10:14:49 PM  Show Profile

Auwe! auwe! I'll be out of the country first part of February, so can't attend or play. But please let me know what I can do to help with advance work, will there be posters to put up, etc. and alal the best to those of you who do take part.....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  7:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha kakou!
We're doin' it. I'm so happy to get together this zero-overhead volunteer event.

Hope to see some of you all there!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Ohana,

Just a reminder. Be theah or be kuea. Or send money to BWOP if you cop out.

Dave

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000