Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Report on PNW Hawaiian Music Institute
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  9:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just returned from the first full-fledged Hawaiian music workshop in the Seattle. It was great. The folks in Whittier, CA are in for a real treat next week, especially with the addition of Keoki Kahumoku to their faculty.
The busy two days in Seattle started with the first Saturday sesson dedicated to beginning slackers, second for intermediate slackers and beginning uke and the third for advanced uke or songwriting. The second day was the same. It's a very busy schedule. There's not much time to do anything except run from class to class and grab a bite between the second and third classes. If you're attending the SoCal institute, I suggest bringing a brown bag so you don't have to run to a restaurant and shovel down a sandwich.
I took intermediate slack and intermediate uke. Both were great. The dozen people in the slack class with Dennis Kamakahi struggled with some intermediate basics, but Dennis is a great teacher. He meets the students at their level and is always encouraging. He also gave us a taste of C Maunaloa tuning and demonstrated it with several songs. It's hard for us died-in-the-wool taropatch players, but to watch him play, it makes you hungry to learn it. To be able to play "Hi'ilawe" exactly like Gabby would be a great accomplishment for any slack key amateur.
Although I was unsure what to expect from Dennis, because his music is all over the board (and he wears black fingernail polish), I was immediately impressed. Besides being kind and generous, he is an encyclopedia of Hawaiian music, not just from his era, but also knowledgeable about chant, early music and the history of important songs. Plus, he talked story about Gabby, Leonard Kwan and Fred Punahoa and many other figures in Hawaiian music he's known, ones that we can only read about now. Rev. Dennis is a treasure.
Herb Ohta Jr., the lead teacher in uke class, didn't mind that we were all at different levels and patiently taught us licks and riffs he probably learned from his dad when he was five. David Kamakahi helped out, too, but he's naturally quiet. You rarely see him not playing his uke.
Before the evening concert,it was open mike for the students and we sang and played at our various levels of skill. We flubbed and fumbled, but we clapped and hollered for each other anyway. It's definitely worth risking a little dignity to try it because it really builds up your chops. One uker, Buck from Portland, started playing an fast instrumental he learned from a Herb Ohta Jr. CD. Herb quickly jumped in the seat next to Buck and began playing, too. David jumped in, too, and the three of them ripped off a great version of "Kaulana o Hilo Hanakahi". Buck didn't miss a beat and even nailed a complex ending.
For the concert itself, it was a sparse crowd, perhaps 100, but our enthusiasm made it fun to be there. Patrick Landeza, Herb Ohta Jr., David Kamakahi and Dennis Kamakahi all played solo sets, ending with Rev. Dennis and David. Dennis retunes almost every song and played in at least four tunings! Dennis' version of "Ipo Lei Manu" was haunting and sad and made me want to cry. Later, Dennis said that song once touched the heart of a lady philanthropist, who pitched in an extra $100K for a childrens center on Kauai after hearing that song.
Not being wealthy, or even close, I debated on whether to spend $200-plus and drive six hours one way to be a part of it, but it was worth it. I met some great TP.net regulars like Maggie, Bruddah Chrispy, neeej, Puna and others who welcomed me like 'ohana.
Overall, it was great, but I wish there was more time to just jam and learn from each other and the faculty. Mahalos to Patrick and the instructors for coming to snowy Seattle to teach and play.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 01/09/2005 10:13:39 PM

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  9:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Gee, Jesse, you must've driven like mad to be home already :-) 'Twas indeed a wonderful weekend---methinks I've still got music & aloha seeping out of my pores, I'm so saturated with it. I can hardly wait till the next time!!

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yep, I drove like one huhu lolo!
Read about my trip here:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2294
It was nice to meet you and the Seattle slack key bunch. We need to jam again!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  08:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Ah, Jesse - what a pleasure and honor to meet you in person! As I said, since hearing your voice on the Taropatch CD, I've wanted to meet you. Someday I hope we can sing together - I'll make the six hour drive next time!

Mahalo nui loa for coming to the HMI and adding your mana'o and aloha!

And neeej, slackkeyshelby, bruddahchrispy, Maggie (I forget your handle...mahealani?), Buck, and other T-Patchers and non-Tpatchers (and hopefully future T-Patchers after the nice little 'recruitment speach from BruddahChrispy) - mahalo for the jam sessions, the encouragement, the laughter...Patrick and Dennis say they are coming back in August, hope you all come back.

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  11:17:30 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, tanks 'eh for the update. Looking forward to the SoCal workshops, sounds like you all had a blast. Can't wait.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  1:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
slkho, the workshops are very informative. If I were you, I'd take any class Keoki is teaching whether I need it or not. The institute is like the Hawaii music camps without the beautiful scenery, balmy breeze, swaying palms, jumping dolphins, good food.....aw, forget it. It'll be fun.
Mahalo e Puna,
I hope you, or any westside slackers, get a chance to visit my region of Spokane/North Idaho. If it's a sunny day, we can sit on the beach, play our guitars and pretend the pine trees are palm tress. You can play "Pilipuka" while I snooze in the sun.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo Jesse for your wonderful recap of this last weekend! It was so wonderful to meet fellow TP'ers in person (Jean, I didn't realize you were "neeej" until way later!). This was my second BAHMI workshop, and each one gets better and better. Look out, Whittier! You're in for two days of great instruction, music, comraderie, and fun.

Most of all, my sincerest thanks to: Patrick for putting this all together. This incredible music experience wouldn't have been possible without your vision, energy, and committment; Susie for keeping it all together (great to have met you!). A special thanks for your great attitude and ever-smiling face; Uncle Dennis, Herb, and David for devoting your precious time, incredible talent and virtuosity, and graciously sharing your love of Hawaiian music through instruction and talking story. I loved every minute!; and to all the attendees of this fabulous weekend. It was great sharing this experience with all of you!

Maggie (Mahina M)

P.S. Sorry Jesse. Buck is our guy in 'lil 'ol Eugene (not Portland).
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Jesse:

One more thing: Your CD is absolutely great! Thank you for sharing your music and spirit with us!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  3:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Maggie,
E kala mai! My mistake about Buck. I don't want to insult his roots lest he not want to play uke with me again!
No wonder you guys took off so soon after class, it was a long drive for you, too.
Thank you for listening to my music. Making CDs in the basement keeps me out of trouble.
Does anyone from the Seattle gathering know the name of the first song Uncle Dennis played Saturday night? It was a Gabby Band classic, but I don't know the name...
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 01/10/2005 8:37:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  04:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha All!

We had a great time and look forward to returning soon! It was great putting faces to the names! Whittier is next and just gearing up for this weekend. Buck, was great hearing on stage with Herb and David!

Patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com

Edited by - hwnslacker on 01/11/2005 04:52:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  06:09:17 AM  Show Profile
ONLY 4 more days!! And it's gonna be SUNNY!!!!!
Can't wait!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Jesse,
I'm signed up for Keoki's & Dennis' classes, looking forward to seeing them again, and putting faces to some people I've only known through the TP. I've been practicing quite a bit, and hope not to crash & burn if we do an open mic. ha ha
It'll be wierd to have Patrick there in person, and not the cardboard cut-out I've lugging around. ha.
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  06:58:42 AM  Show Profile
Geez, here I am the newbie again. I thought I was going to get a cut-out to take home with me to inspire my guitar to make good music......
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  08:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

Ditto everything that Jesse said!!

It was great meeting some new folks and seeing old friends. If there's anybody out there having doubts about attending one of these events, please, please, put them aside. I felt like I was in over my head at the start, but I came out feeling on top of the world.

Mahalo plenty to Patrick and Uncle Dennis for a wonderful experience!

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  5:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Aloha you folks in the frozen NW - the poor guys arrived here suffering from colds.... But they sure did a great job anyway. And they LIKE our weather...

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2005 :  2:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha kakou - I haven't been active on TP for quite a while, so I hope to change that now.
I was at the uke workshops as well (Gregg - the one disrupting with my puns), and it was a lot of fun to meet such a range of talented folks, from Seattle-area locals to travelers from Oregon & Idaho.
So much to work on from those classes! After five years playing with a halau, these sessions should help me move beyond the place I've plateau-ed lately.
The open mike was also a highlight - some brave folks got up there, and astounded us with what they were capable of doing.
Patrick, Herb, David, Dennis, Susie - mahalo nui loa for your sharing, talent, kokua, insight, patience - and we'll see you in August. (Now, pop those herbal tablets we gave you, so you can shake your colds quickly.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000