Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Visiting San Diego (Feb 1 - 6)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  11:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Yep - Big show and tell time to attendees tomorrow. Whats the words? Unique, Great, Wonderful, New and Different, Inovative, Players will love it, Never anything like it before, THE answer to playing fustrations, Slack Key, Standard, Uke, Steel, compatible, plus more plus more plus more.

Can't wait
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  9:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!!
What a cool surprise!! and except for Fran, we were the first to get to see the show-and-tell!!! And Chunkey Monkey and Hwnslkr were in on it!! I'll wait and have the perpetrators tell you more..... But Ianui really came through with a big one!!!
Not only did Andy survive, we gave him a bit of rain to get him used to going home.
What a wonderful time we had with Andy and his bro and friend. Not only does Andy play very well, but he has a very sweet voice for the Hawai'ian songs. Sure hope he'll come out more often now that he knows the way. And I got to meet Jsulle (not sure if that's quite right) from Sacramento and his biking friend. Of course Dusty and Sheila, Rik and Donna, Keith, Ken and I were all there too. Thanks so much to Chunkey and Mary for hosting this really special kanikapila for us!!!
auntie nancy
PS: it takes even longer getting home when you get lost .......

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  08:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey braddah andy,

it was so great meeting you and your friends, and to finally get to play with you!

mahalo nui loa to everyone who pulled this together...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo nui to Terry & Mary, Don and Linda for picking me up, hosting me, putting on a party, and for showing this east coaster the same aloha shared with the likes of Uncle Dennis, Uncle Cyril, and so many others.

It was so good to meet all of you and to see some familiar faces too. Dusty & Sheila, Rik & Donna, Keith, Ken and Auntie Nancy. (Hope that I didn't forget anyone.) It was a pleasure to hear everyone play. What a fun day of music, food & great company. I appreciate that some of you drove so far. Mahalo for making my San Diego trip really special.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  09:27:27 AM  Show Profile
Lots of fun, except I have 15 bottles of beer and most of a cake the size of a Dodge Ram 17" wheel to finish. Thanks to everyone at the SCSKS for bringing eats and lots of music. Thanks to Andy for hanging with us - 8 straight hours of music without batting a eye.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:42:25 AM  Show Profile
When's the next one?

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All...I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccck.
For all you TP-er's out there, we had a GREAT kanikapila-palooza Super Bowl Sunday. Our get-together was hosted by the always gracious and hospitable Terry & Mary (C-monk), and our welcomed guest was none other than Andy himself. Talk about a good time...where do I even begin???? The Aloha Spirit was strong everyone, real strong.
In attendance were: Andy, Terry & Mary, Dusty & Sheila, Brudda Ken, Gerry and his friend Jim, Keith, Don, Auntie Nancy, Andy's brother, Chris and their friend Kevin, myself and Mrs. Slkho, (she prefers Pua-ho, but she'll always be my little H... well, y'know). Hope I didn't miss anybody. Once again, my dog could not attend. He loves Sonny Chillingsworth.
The day/night was filled with so much great music you couldn't believe it. In addition to the music, was of course Food-Food-Food..yummm. Naturally I pigged out. Thanks everyone for the grinds, I spent a lot of time on the LifeCycle & StepMill at the gym the next morning. :-(
Anyway's back to the music.
Everyone went around the room and took turns playing 1-2 songs, as well as, joining in songs we all knew. Keith, Andy, and Terry can sing too.
Andy was impressive, da boy can play!! and delighted us all with his slack key stylings. (Very smooth movements Andy). I think out of all of us, he may have been the youngest guy in the room. ha! I think the combined age of everybody else there must of been about 600+ years ha ha. Good thing I brought my stroller and oxygen caddie.
There was such beautiful music, Keith & Dusty were awesome. Dusty didn't bring the famed Bunny Slippers, (rumor has it, they got run over by a car) Gerry jammed on his immpressive Koa Taylor, (I tried to steal it, but I think he has a guitar Lo-Jack in it) Don played an origial piece and some other great stuff. Terry (c-monk) played after much prodding, and played some fabulus stuff. Brudda Ken, played some cool pieces, and the best for last, we got Auntie Nancy to perform her debut. Nancy, you did great, we all love you. I don't think I've ever seen that shade of red before. xxo!
I took plenty of pic's and will have them developed, (no digital camera for me, sorry) and posted quickly.
All-in-all, it was a great time. I do believe, outside of Hawaii, we must have the largest group of slack key players. There were members that unfortunately could not attend due to other committments. Craig, Bill, Tucson Bob, Michael, Greg, next time bro's.
It was like a concert, but with free food!!!
Once again, mucho mahalo's to Terry & Mary for hosting, you guys are awesome. Thanks to all who attended, and thanks to Andy for the visit, and creating this forum that can bring events like this togeter.
...ok, I think I'm done. Oh yeah, there was some sporting event on T.V. with numbers or something like that, or whatever.
-pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  5:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Good summary Rik. You're too much.

For those of you I've seen play, it was a pleasure to see how much everyone's playing has improved. Those who I've never seen play before were impressive and I'll bet you'll blow me away again next time I hear you.

Auntie Nancy - after some prodding by Rik - played for everyone. I know it's tough for a beginner to play in front of everyone but she did it. And look who's enthusiastically asking when the next one will be! You know Auntie, you say that you've progressed slowly but you've already gotten a few songs under your belt. Took me a year just to get one! You're on the fast track.

I was also happy to hear Terry play Koke`e. I know how much Terry and Mary love this song and it came though when he played it. I love that song too.

Mahalo nui to everyone again who came out. It really made a business trip special. Luckily, my brother and I made it to the airport about 10 minutes before boarding started. Phew, we cut it kind of close. For a minute there, I thought we were ready for another SCSKS get together for Monday but we made the plane and got home safely.

Ps. Thanks Don, Terry and Patrick for the surprise. You guys going to explain slack tracks to everyone else who did not attend? That was great fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  7:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
jsulle kindly emailed me these photos:

Dusty, Jim, Jerry, Don, Sheila, Rik, Mary, Chris, Donna, Terry, Andy, Auntie Nancy, Ken

Terry, Rik, Mary

Dusty

Keith

Auntie Nancy, Chris, Donna, Sheila, Dusty

Don

Ken

back: Sheila, Donna, Terry
front: Dusty, Keith, Auntie Nancy

Terry

Auntie Nancy's debut!

Shiela

Dusty, Keith, Sheila

Andy, Keith

Jim

Mary

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  12:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Andy!
Mahalo for the pix!! and come back soon.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile
Great photos, more pic's to follow.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  2:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pictures, Jerry and thanks for posting them, Andy. We had a wonderful time. Thanks to Mary, Terry, Don and all of our ohana for a great party.

Dusty & Sheila
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  7:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Wow, great photos! Nice to place the faces with the names of some of you So, Cal. TP'ers! Looks like you all had fun too. Maybe you should try for a TP convention one of these days. Now, wouldn't that be a hoot! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day and having your own "Slack Key Super Bowl Sunday!"

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  12:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Maggie!
That should be possible... it's not too hard to get up and down the coast... maybe pick a time that southwest or Alaska is having a big sale on airline tix. I was delighted to meet Jerry who came down from the Sacramento area - My assumption is that when a kani ka pila is posted, all are welcome. And as you saw, having someone come from out of town for any other reason is an excuse to get together. We seem to be in clutches - Seattle, Oregon, central Cal coast, San Diego, then pulling from LA, Idaho, Colorado and Arizona. Maybe when Ianui gets settled in his new digs by Vegas he'll get us all together over there!
anyway - good to think about it!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  06:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Auntie Nancy:

Looks like Las Vegas may be the next, possbile, big TP meeting place other than in Hawaii. It would sure be nice to have something happen on the mainland. I hope enough interest is generated from this idea (go Ianui, go!).

Mags
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000