Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Herb and David, welcome back to Waikiki!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  8:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I hated to miss their visit to the mainland, but spending January on O`ahu makes up at least a little. We've caught Sean Na`auao, Kawika Kahiapo and Martin Pahinui, Ledward with Alika Odom, and tonight Herb Ohta Jr. and David Kamakahi going nuts on their KoAloha tenors at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. These two are terrific players, aren't they?

Lynnie and I have really been feeling lucky, there's a wealth of great music being played all around the island, we're determined to get drenched in it.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  04:24:36 AM  Show Profile
Fran -- one of the best "shhhh...don't tell" gigs, is Sunday afternoons out at the Ko`olau Golf Club (windward side). Regular players are Mike Kaawa and his gang -- which often includes <gasp!> Eddie Kamae.

Remember -- shhhh...don't tell!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  05:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
And as long as you're down town side, Jerry Santos used to have a regular Friday and Saturday night gig at the Hilton.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile
'eh brudda Chris,
How you know these things if this Ocean Far Too Wide??
And yes, those 2 kids are awesome - imagine getting paid for having so much fun and giving us so much fun and music!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  09:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
I discovered a while back that even though I wen move mainland, my life in Hawai`i keeps on going.

F'r'instance. A couple of years ago I was on one of my month-long trips back home. I paddled out to my old home break in Waikiki, Number 3s. It was dawn an there was a small but clean swell happening. There was only one other guy out and as I neared the line up he kicked out of a wave an said "Hey, Chrispy! Where you been brah?" "Hey, Steve, I've been on da mainland fo 10 years." "Ho, so long?"

So, somewhere back there my life is still happening. I'm just not as involved in it as I used to be.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  11:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Auntie Maria, thanks for the headsup, we promise not to tell. We're definitely gonna make the kanikapila on Sunday.

We did a little reconnaissance tonight, caught Mike with Ocean Kaowili and Analu Aina at their Friday night gig at Honey's. Mm-mm good! A very pleasant venue, with enjoyable food, comfortable seating, good sight lines, and an enthusiastic crowd. We ran into Uncle Danny Lopez, songwriter and a fixture at the best Hawaiian music gigs around O`ahu. He shared some of his great stories and made the evening that much better.

I'm not sure what got into Mike but near the end of the gig he started urging me to play a number. Ocean very generously put his guitar in taropatch so I could do "Salomila" and "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" with Mike and Analu. It was great fun to hear Mike put his special 12 string touch on these tunes. He introduced me to the audience as a member of the Taropatch internet gang, an association I was proud to admit to.

We're cashing in some airline miles for a trip to the Big Island tomorrow so we can catch Darlene Ahuna. We're looking forward to joing Konabob at Darlene's show. We're heading back early on Sunday so we can make our reservation at Honey's.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  04:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

Again, thanks for posting your fun so that we may vicariously enjoy online. I do not know much about Uncle Danny Lopez but met him at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort a couple years back only to bump in to him at the Sheraton the next night to see Jerry Santos.

Aloha to Mike as he is a member of the Taropatch internet gang too. Have a great time on the Big Island, Fran!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  07:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Andy, Uncle Danny wrote "A Part of Me, A Part of You" recorded by Moe Keale on his "Aloha is a Part of Me, a Part of You." Uncle Danny often hits the spots with Ike Ka`awa, Mike's dad. We met them last summer at Kapono's and since then I look for them at every show.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000