Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Server Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  4:15:20 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

I don't know if it's my system, but all of a sudden accessing the TaroPatch is almost like dial-up. I access other Snitz Forum based discussion groups and they load at normal DSL speeds. Is any one else having a problem?

Other things I notice are that I will click on a forum, get the next window and go to a discussion I haven't read. It will say that the last person to add to the discussion was "so-and-so" but when I get there "so-and-so" entry isn't there. Instead, it was the previous person. Then when I go back a page all of a sudden, other discussions are highlighted as having not be read.

When I started to ask this question and clicked on "New Topic", it took 6.34 seconds to generate the page which used to be more like 0.31.

Trashing Cookies and re-logging in helps for a short time, then it starts all over again. I've called my DSL provider and they pinged my system a couple times and everything is up to snuff.

Mahalo,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/22/2005 4:18:29 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  4:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm, I'm not sure Dave. I haven't noticed anything myself.

Anyone else?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  9:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Dave,
I have been having problems, but assumed it was earthlink DSL...
If you don't log on, the stuff you may or may not have read isn't right. Possibly if someone puts something up and then deletes it, it would be different from what you see on the liner page (i'm not sure what any of these things are called technically) And yes, I've been able to get things like weather.com and not TP. I just come back later. Maybe it's small enough that if there are several of us on at the same time, it's slower.
good luck!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile
Yeah I've noticed..oh wait a minute I'm using a dialup connection.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Does that mean when you up load your animated GIFs and the beautiful Kaua`i pictures you go out for a dinner break until they're done. Sorry, guess I'm spoiled. I should stop and smell the Tuberoses along the way.

Ever so humbled, Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/23/2005 12:34:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

Ever so humbled, Dave

Yeah, me too. Last weekend, I was out of town and checking in on a dialup AOL account. It was tough.

I was slow to adopt DSL at home but now that I have, there is no going back.

If any one can offer additional feedback if having any speed/page load problems here, please let me know.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  1:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Usually I complain, but I'm now on DSL, Mozilla Firefox, and have noticed no problems with TP

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  1:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

I stayed on dial-up until last year then Earthlink raised the price. For only a couple bucks more a month I got DSL. I had been using it at work forever, so I didn't need it, but then I decided to take some time off. Did the whole wireless/DSL thing.

Pauline. I'll take a look at Firefox. It's supposed to be very cool. I find Safari and Explorer both to be very clunky. I used to love Netscape, but I got away from that when I bought the new Mac for the studio.

Thanks all,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  03:29:24 AM  Show Profile
Dave,

I have been on Firefox since the day of release. One published commentator said that a net surfer would have to be suicidal to stick with IE (for WinTel users). In addition to its built in by design security, there are free addons which are great - one that is essential is Adblock: you can block all those annoying ads and put in a * wildcard after the ad company URL to block *everything* from that site. Since I have been using it, I only got 2 tracking cookies from an ad company, compared to about 40 in a similar time period with IE.

Its tab feature (a new URL can go to a tab instead of a new window or popup) is also worth a lot.

Using Firefox right now...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Does that mean when you up load your animated GIFs and the beautiful Kaua`i pictures you go out for a dinner break until they're done. Sorry, guess I'm spoiled. I should stop and smell the Tuberoses along the way.

Ever so humbled, Dave

Yeah. We live to far out for DSL & our cable company is lame so we have DirectTV (which has a broadband service but it's too pricey). Someone may be starting up a wireless service. We'll see. Not all bad though - here is our view looking just north of west toward Oceanside.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

Thanks. I just downloaded Firefox and took a quick peak at it's functions. I'll get back to you ASAP and let you know how it works for me. I'll tell you IE is not very good on a Mac either. Safari is OK, but is also lacking. One thing I did notice very quickly was the ability to make exceptions for cookies which means I can keep sites like Taropatch and Digidesign current and block the rest. Way cool!!!

Thanks for the help,

Dave

PS: Just as I was posting this note, I retuned to find Dusy's picture. I'd probably trade my DSL for a view like that. Tanks, bruddah!

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/24/2005 08:15:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

As it turns uot, the problem was with my DSL server. After getting some diagnostic tools I was able to find out that I was running as low as 56K baud, which is dial-up speed. My rate should be over 1000 K baud. It appears the SBC/Yahoo as fixed the problem, at least for now.

Reid,

Firefox is pretty cool. I'm still learning the ins and outs. Thanks.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

As it turns out, the problem was with my DSL server.
Glad to hear it. Guess I should check out Firefox too. I've been hearing really good things.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  12:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Dave,

You should get Denial of Service compensation. Cable companies routinely do that when they have outages. If it is worth it, that is...

Also, because Firefox is Open Source, it is gone over with a fine tooth comb by the Hackers (Hackers are good guys), but it is also examined by Crackers (Bad Guys). So, keep up on the tech news over the next few years (as you do now with MS and Apple) and look for attack news. Take care out there in NetLand, it is not a place for complacency. The latest thing is viruses and worms for cell phones...which is one of the many reasons I don't have one and never will.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  1:12:26 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

Thanks for the words of caution. Everyone should heed these. It's only recently that I've been extremely cautious about viruses and worms, now that Apple OS X sits on top of UNIX. Under the old platform crackers didn't take the time to mess with Macs, but UNIX is a different story, plus, I could write a whole diatribe about the new outsourced programs for OS X. I haven't gotten any viruses yet, but in ten tears on the old Apple OSes I never even got one.

In 1993, when I opened a new dental office, I thought I was a bigshot, and went out and bought a cell phone; one of those triangular, half pound, state of the art, motorolas. I was in my truck one afternoon and the phone rang. I answered it and atarted talking. Half way through the conversation I realized I don't like telephones anyway and here I am talking to someone I don't even like. I put it away in its case, threw it in my wifes trunk and there it still lies for emergency use only (twice in ten years).

Again, thanks

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  08:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Dusty, Wow!!!
Thanks for sharing with us!! Don't your cute graphics and pix take forever on dial-up? Even more thanks for your patience - or go for cup of coffee while loading...
Eh Dave - So a Truck is a better status symbol for a fine dentist than a cell phone, huh? I'm a poor retiree with a truck and no cell phone... see where you're headed? (to camp of course!!)

So while we're on the subject, sort of, what's the best DSL available on the left coast right now? I have earthlink and had been considering Verizon until someone told me it's always on if your computer is turned on. I have DishTV not cable...
thanks -
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000