Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Server Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks -
I leave my computer on for 2 reasons, the main one being that it's going to go belly-up and when I start it up, it makes an aweful racket, most likely a fan belt. Then eventually the noise goes away. To reboot takes quite awhile, still probably because it's old. But I can disconnect from the internet very easily, and if it's up and working, reconnecting is also quick and simple. When this thing really dies all that will probably change.
Why do you think it's a good idea to turn it on and off every time? Keep in mind I am at home, not at work.
Thanks!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,

If I can put in a word for jwn's suggestion, you don't leave your machine on because there are evil people in the world who can *potentially* take it over and steal you blind and propagate their evilness to other innocent people like you. It is, unfortunately, not hard to insert some baaaaad software into your machine and take over the world for about a day or two. They would not be necessarily after you (although identity theft is *very* common - about 2 % of the USA pop. = 4 million people per year). It doesn't matter if you are home or not - are you hawking that machine every second? If it goes belly-up, I am sorry for you and the important data you have on it - do you back it up, like burn a CD regularly? What would you cry about if you lost it? I'll bet that, if you received an email, with an attachment, from somebody who put "Admin" or "jwn" or, even, "Reid" on the "From" line, that you would open it it. Then your machine and everything on it would truly be dead.

Even when I was behind a heavy-duty series of institutional firewalls, I *always* shut my machine off when I was not at it.

One additional reason: power brown-outs or surges will cook your machine. Some years ago, my machine, off during the brown-out, was the only one functioning in a large department of geeks. I told them to suck more caffeine and no boddah me.

Evaluate your risks...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  6:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Reid -
Yup, it's backed up - only have a few important files, fortunately.
I also have an iMac that a very nice friend gave me. Unfortunately, it kept going lolo, but I think she finally found that 2 types of memory combined w/ OS 10.5 are the problem. If it continues working for another week, I'll use it for more than just music.
mahalo!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000