Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Darlene Ahuna, Hapuna Prince, Big Island
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  2:49:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I've always thought it's better to be lucky than good. We totally lucked into discovering that Darlene Ahuna was booked at the Hapuna Prince out Kohala way on the Big Island, maybe. It took about a week, dozens of phone calls, but we finally contacted Darlene herself to confirm that she would be doing the show. At first we were sweating the costs until my angel Lynnie checked into United Miles and Marriott reward points and !whooohoooo! we're going for free!

So let's see if we can hook up with Konabob?? Yeeha, he and Shirley not only are in town, they're up for the show as well. In fact we wound up following them right in through the gate, purely by coincidence.

The show was in the Reef Lounge, a magnificent setting, and we were practically the only people in attendance. Darlene started off her show with "Haole Hula" and went from one favorite to another. We've been thrilled by her CDs but her singing live is another level of art. Magnificent pure voice, aching falsetto, sure, but such control, such expressiveness. There's just no way I can put it in words. All four of us were transported. Now I understand why Darlene is referred to as a diva, she really deserves the term.

Thanks Bob and Shirley, sharing the evening with you made it more than twice as much fun. Thanks, Darlene, words cannot express.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Fran:

Lucky you to be able to see Darlene Ahuna! I just discovered her cd's last year, and she is a terrific falsetto singer. Thanks for the recap of your fun evening. Wish I could've been a mouse in your pocket!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  5:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Maggie, our buddy Allan Goodman (bobby3dog) told me about Darlene over a year ago, but I just wasn't ready to learn about a new artist at that point. When ku`u Lynn joined a halau her first dance was "Kaimana Hila" and I searched for various versions. Darlene's really knocked me out, and she became a favorite for both of us. It was really Lynn who was totally determined to catch a live show, and we were both really glad she did. Between Darlene, the Kailua Candy Company, and Konabob and Konashirley, the Big Island has become a new favorite destination.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:46:46 AM  Show Profile
Fran, do you know when Auntie Darlene will be visiting in San Diego? Its been quite a long time since her last visit. I checked Mele.com, and Darlene's website, but no info. was available.
Do you know of any?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  2:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Darlene said to check the Tula Productions web site - http://www.tulaproductions.com/ - but she's not scheduled currently. She did mention that she was expecting to play in San Diego in April.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  8:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Not only a great singer, but a really good rgythm guitartist, too. Her playing is much more nuanced that a casual listener might get.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  04:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Fran, I'll be seeing Tula this weekend at the Keawe/Beamer/Yeaton concert, I'll ask her then. thanks eh
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Tula
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  12:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tula's Homepage
We are trying to work on a show featuring Darlene Ahuna and the Lim Family. It is a little premature, we were shooting for Mother's Day, depending on my schedule and their's and after next month's Hapa show after I have a good night's sleep LOL (I will never do 3 shows in a row, again!). Mahalo, Tula

Tula
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000