Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Honey's at the Ko`olau Golf Club - a must
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  11:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We've been having a great time, catching incredible music, but I have to make special mention of Mike Ka`awa at Honey's. Mike, Ocean Kaowili, and Analu Aina are really terrific. Really really terrific. The Friday night gig is these three talented players doing a wide range of beatiful stuff and cajoling any dancers in the audience into joining in.

The Sunday gig is a jam, a kanikapila with organization. Paul Kim joins in on sweet steel. Then the talent comes up from the audience. Mostly wonderful ukulele players and singers, some guitar players, some folks who just sing. The band is amazing, covering every style and song, providing sublime support, and the talent that joins them is startling.

A surprise to me was the reasonable cost and fine quality of the food. We would go there to eat even without the INCREDIBLE music. It's easy to find, on the Ko`olau side of Kamehameha right where H3 goes over. Kionaole Road. Check it out on the internet if you're in the neighborhood and definitely put this one on your calendar.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:23:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad you discovered it, Fran! We moved from nearby Kailua to Olympia, Washington nearly three years ago and it's one of the places that we really miss ... for both the food and the entertainment. We always return there on our trips back for family visits.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  08:41:28 AM  Show Profile
I thought I'd also relate a bit of history on the Honey's name for you. I grew up in nearby Heeia and there was a very popular old tavern there on the corner of Kamehameha Highway and Lilipuna Road that was called Honey's. Like a lot of other old hangouts, it was torn down when the shopping center now in it's place was developed. There is still a free-standing restaurant on that corner of the center but I don't recall what the name of it is since it's changed ownership several times. The Ko'olau range there is another thing that my wife and I miss. It is such a spectacular sight that we haven't seen the likes of anywhere else. And the Ko'olau Golf Club sits right at the base of it. That golf course, incidentally, was billed as "the most difficult course in America" too, if you're a golfer.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/25/2005 10:43:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
John, your mention of the Ko`olau range really hits the mark. Driving mauka on H3 is an experience both beautiful and surreal, with those stunning mountains rushing toward you and swallowing you up.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2005 :  10:41:10 AM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention that highway. It was re-routed several times because they unearthed some old Hawaiian archealogical sites during construction. And before they opened it, they had a ten-mile run that started on the windward side near Kamehameha Highway and ended in the Aloha Stadium on the other side of the Ko'olau's. My wife and I participated and it was a real experience. Just imagine thousands of people running up the hill (the first 3-1/2 miles were all uphill), through the more than one mile long tunnel and down the hill on the other side! You've driven it so you can just imagine running it. I honestly don't know which way I like it better .... driving up from the windward side with the morning sun shining on the almost vertical undulating curtain that defines the Ko'olau's or driving the other way and popping out of the dark tunnel to be greeted by the sight of that beautiful blue ocean beyond the lush green blanket of landscape that is Kaneohe (with it's rainforests, banana patches and Ho'omaluhia Park) so far below you. It is truly an awe inspiring experience either way that I will never tire of.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 01/25/2005 1:16:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000