Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 FireFox Browser
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  6:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Seems that yet another browser is out there, but it is interesting:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

I like the "tabbed" windows view.

Here is an article about it:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/...tw=wn_tophead_4

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2005 :  7:32:54 PM  Show Profile
I was using it, I had a little problem with it and Zone Alarm, but got that solved. Then I downloaded the latest version last Thursday or Friday and couldn't access anything. I think it's another Zone Alarm conflict that I'm still trying to resolve. IE is working, thankfully.

I love the tabs and the pop-up blocker. Some web sites don't display correctly if they are using MS's not quite standards for a web page.

I also switched to Mozilla's Thunderbird for email. They have an update for that, too, but I'm holding off on installing that until I get the browser problem resolved.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  08:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
I'm using both Firefox and Thunderbird. I was using their predecessor, Mozilla, so it was a pretty natural upgrade for me.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  06:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Dear Pauline & Chris:

Thanks for your feedback on Firefox and Thunderbird. I am in the process of converting over to a new computer system and was also curious about this browser and email program. I think both Reid, and now Dave, have Firefox. Dave, if you are reading this post, how is Firefox working for you now? I know you've just acquired it and are working out the bugs in your system. I am also FINALLY getting high speed Internet. Gosh, this is a whole new world for me! I won't know what to do with myself (I probably will have more time to play music than waiting for stuff on dial-up, ya?)!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:08:27 AM  Show Profile
Maggie,

I do have Foxfire on my computer and have dabbled with it. As a Mac user, the interface is much like Safari. It seems that the biggest benefit to me is that way I can control "cookies". But, it's still a tossup as to whether I migrate all the way. If I was a PC user, I'd use it in a heartbeat. Anything but IE.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Maggie,

Dave nailed it: if you are on a Wintel platform, go for Firefox. As I mentioned somewhere else, its security and convenience and things like Adblock add-ons simply make it the browser of choice. If you are a Macophile, it is not so pressing, but still worth a try to stop as much annoying web stuff as possible.

Besides, since it is Open Source, new add-ons appear every day.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  6:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,

Please, consider this. Get zone alarm OFF of your computer. Go to Best Buy, Cicuit City or whaterver, and buy a router/firewall/switch to go between your modem and computer.

I am assuming you have broadband. I can help with model numbers also.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000