Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 John & Hope Keawe in San Diego
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, the initial folks who inhabit Megalopolis are descendants of people who used up all their adventurousness (is that a word?) by coming from all over the world to land near here. So, we got into an intergenerational rut. They was plumb tuckered out. That I can understand. Another thing I can understand is the hordes of people coming from economically or politically terrible places in order to make a future here through interminable hard work. You can not believe how the demographics of the NorthEast have changed into African (not Afro-American), South Asian, East Asian and Latino and Carribbean. Public signs are in a whole bunch of languages and scripts. (Makes for outstanding food choices, though - want Eritrean, Japanese, 58 varieties of Chinese, Maylasian, Viet, Guadaloupe El Poblanita, or whatever - even in supermarkets? Even Durians!) A really sweet, smart Brahmin guy who worked for me is a member of a local social society that consists of former inhabitants of a whole village in India.

What I can't understand is all of those people coming in from great places in the States, thinking that they can make it in some variant of the Big Apple - they can't. They sell fake Rolexes on street corners. But, somehow, the Beemer and Hummer sales are booming - real estate, too. On I-95 (the successor to US RT 1 - from Canada to Key West) you could walk on top of the cars from where we live right up to Cape Cod and never touch the ground - and get there faster by that walking. Of course, the Cape collapses by about a foot into the sea, starting about now.

Yet, with all these people, the wildlife is coming back Big Time: Every variety of waterfowl you can think of and many you can't; coyotes, herds of wild turkeys, raptors of every description including our own local ospreys and turkey vultures, even cougars, bobcats, wolves and bears, occasionally. Not to mention all the trashy skunks, racoons, deer herds out of control (Bambi is the Face of The Devil), bunnies, 40 squirrels per acre. I think they all thrive on human refuse.

Very strange times and places.

...Reid (maybe time for a change?)
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  4:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi!
Change what? Sarah isn't retired, is she? Actually, I would think our climate would be better for your aches and pains, but then if you'd move this far, might as well keep going west.....
Funny, isn't it? I have no idea here in town what an acre looks like. But we feed the squirrels because they're new to us. They are native north of SF. Besides the raccoons, we also have 'possums (why did the chicken cross the road? To show the possum it Could be done)
I'm one of those that likes the melting pot thing - we get more food to taste, more music to listen too and sing, and we should be working towards celebrating all the religeous holidays together, not eliminating them. (I am very impressed that there is Hawai'ian music and hula at Church services in Colorado). But we're all different, which is why the whole world doesn't love ki ho'alu they way we do.
I can't wait to hear Sarah sing, but the way. Not many of those SD guys sing, except Keith. I think you would have loved our kanikapila here with both Nick the Pilot and hapakid belting out all the songs and knowing all the words, and true to Nick, he brought enough material that we could all join in or follow along.
see ya!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  05:29:03 AM  Show Profile
The Law of Social Entropy states: People will continue to move until every place is equally undesirable. I'm a firm believer that Thomas Malthus was correct.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, but there are so many more variables to the equation!
CU soon -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  2:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Huh?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  7:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Yup, I wish I could just get on my "magic bus" and make it like a Deadhead, start hitting all those concerts and workshops in the next few weeks, and just keep in heading south on I-5 'til I hit the border (never mind seeing my family or anything!). I'm actually a So. Cal. transplant (L.A. Woman!), that escaped 27 years ago. However, that was before I discovered Slack Key! I don't think I'd ever move back, but I really think I should start visiting more often, now that all you great TP'ers are down there!

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  04:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Why not come down for Mothers' Day. Did you want to go to George, Herb, Daniel's workshop and concert? That Sunday night they will be performing downtown so you could show up that afternoon and take them to the show and be a hero.... I'm thinking both your folks are still with us. If not, I apologize - Stay here!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  07:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aigh! i'll be in kona when john is in del mar!

i'll just sit on his porch and feel sorry for myself.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
We'll take him over and he can sit on your porch.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  12:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Those of us who know your reason for being in Kona offer our deepest sympathy re missing John K.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 04/15/2005 12:42:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  5:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Auntie!

Thanks for the generous invite! I wish I could come. let me tell you! I have an obligation that weekend, so no can do. I really don't have a life until the winter months when things go dormant up here (me included)! I'll just have to wait until June on Maui for anything!!! Well, it just makes it all that much sweeter.

Mags
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  06:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Those of us who know your reason for being in Kona offer our deepest sympathy re missing John K.

while walking out of the security zone at the kona airport, i heard "keith! hey keith!" and there was the man! so, we got to say hi to john and hope as we were coming in and they were going out... that was sure nice.

news flash: hope is going to be teaching hula this june at AMC!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
OK, keep on crying Reid, Maggie, Keith -
Bruce was really nice to host us on the patio overlooking San Diego Bay - we just needed to adjust the shade.
John's wonderful. What a treat!! And how nice to meet Hope!! Sheila was kind enough to take her shopping while John imparted his art to us. It was good to see Dusty, Terry (thanks for the help!), mika 'ela, and......
But I had a very new experience for me..... my toes chewed on by their pet pig!! tee hee - it tickles.
AMC Camp - 2 months!!! and still can't wait.
ALOHA!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Waaaah, you po' tings! Please pass the Kleenex, will ya? Must've been nice, I bet. Glad you all had a great time. Any time with John would be a treat.

M
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  05:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, John and Hope are such nice people. The workshop was a joy. We learned Mama's Music Box and Keiki Slack Key. Their morning performance at the fairgrounds was a lot of fun, too.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 04/18/2005 07:19:27 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000