Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slowing it down--What's best for $
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  01:52:43 AM  Show Profile
As the techie dinosaur, my last adjustable speed device was a Marantz superscope cassette with about 33% plus or minus capability.
I also did my share of 16 rpm work...that's why I play and sing everything an octave low.

I know the digital world has some nice options, and maybe I can stop singing like Barry White...but he was great, why change.

For guitar and uke though, what's hot?
Shopping for technology in next month, including a computer.

But MOST OF ALL, I just need a good digital, slow-it-down device for those Hot Hawaiian licks.

What's the best for the buck?

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  05:51:23 AM  Show Profile
gb,
I bought a Tascam GT-1 guitar trainer - $149. Like a CD player with lots of features. You can slow a song down without changing the key; some fixed % with some fine tuning. You can also keep the tempo and change the key - this is very useful for me because I usually play in Taro Patch F. Standard 1/4 plug in for your guitar, so you can play along with the song. Mini output, but you can get a mini-1/4 adapter to connect to an amp or an interface to your computer. Has looping capabilities and some effects. Separate in and out volumes. Runs on batteries or get the AC adapter for 20$. Pretty standard price. I got mine at Guitar Center, same price as most internet sites. Don and I have contacted TASCAM inquiring about using this device with Slack Tracks and maybe getting a coupon or discount to include with Slack Tracks. We'll keep you informed via TP
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The free Audacity software is an audio editor, multi-track recorder, and includes the ability to change pitch and speed.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  10:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Here's the Tascam device. http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASCDGT1MKII

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Amazing Slow Downer software for Mac(at least). Don't know what you've got.

http://www.ronimusic.com

works well, though you're tied to your computer unless you export & burn a CD, which is how I do it. Great for making S-L-O-W learning CD's of Ledward...and others.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Fran on this one....the freeware from Audacity is perfect if you've got the music on your computer.

I had an early version of the Amazing slow downer.....okay, but nothing to write home about. It was a bit cumbersome. I can't speak for the newer versions however.

Although I'm dating myself a bit....the absolute best way was an LP, as in vinyl. You'd play it through the part, stop the turntable, back spin it against the motor, (belt drive for you Technics philes), and let er' rip again. Over and over. Lifting the needle and re-setting it was too time consuming.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile
Tascam works great for me -- specially since I don't have a lap top computer
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mike, Is that how you found all the hidden messages? And what shape are the vynals in now since you didn't lift the needle?
Was very much of the Hawai'ian music of the '40s and 50s on 78s? I don't remenber any of those records except Victory at Sea, but my dad has a huge stack.
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Learning on vinyl is how i got my style!
And after a hundred lifts and resets...
I never learned the songs 100% forwards, not to mention backwards...
and my style?
Well, dat's why they call me Skip.

It's alright...Bluegrass has too many notes for the Royal ear....
it's a known fact that the ears can only hear so many notes an hour.
I always preferred Whole notes to those Rampaging 16ths.
And unlike Led Zeppelin, I don't do backwards...
although the Muppets do a great "owt rof eet."

and Paul's still with us and GREAT...
look mom, no wardrobe malfunction, and you mean those guys were actually playing?

How about that superbowl set...
Those were real songs, and they were spectacular!

And the audience said,...

Since a Mac is under consideration, I may delay the Tascam possiblility...for a short while...
See some of you in La Honda this weekend.

Geez,I've got to concentrate(concentrate, concen...).
Now batting, Manny(Manny) Moto (moto, moto, moto...).
How do I turn off this echo?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000