Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 5 finger pickin vs 4 finger pickin
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2005 :  9:05:53 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,

I'm curious to know if anyone here picks with all 5 fingers.

The obvious follow up question is, "What are the advantages and disadvantages of picking with 5 fingers versus 4,3 or 2 fingers."

Mahalo for your input.

Steve

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/18/2005 2:19:51 PM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  04:23:55 AM  Show Profile
Well, the obvious advantage is that you could play five notes at a time.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  05:29:25 AM  Show Profile
Right on Dusty. And knowing me, I'd twing the melody note. I don't know how Led and Kevin do it with just a thumb and index finger, but they can certainly play more notes than me. John would play whatever finger gets there first and Ozzie just plays; sometime three, sometimes four. I don't think there's a correct answer. Wat eva works, bruddah!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm not a skilled or trained player, but I do use 4-5 fingers. But my fourth and fifth fingers are only good for swinging wildly at the first and/or second strings to add a tinkly note here or there. I think it's a skilled fingerpicker who could use his pinky to strike only the second string.
Many great players only use two fingers most of the time, though almost all use three fingers when playing a bass note and pairs on the first and third strings. I play those first/third string pairs with my index and ring finger, leaving my middle finger to play a grace note on the second string.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  08:59:58 AM  Show Profile
A couple things about Kevin and Led and thumb and forefinger.

These guys are *strong* and agile and *accurate* and experienced. I have been watching Kevin for years, and his fingers can be a blur, and he always knows where they are going ahead of time. Anyone who has spent time with him knows that he has muscles he hasn't even used yet :-). Kevin has spent more time playing guitar than I have spent sleeping (and I don't do that to well anymore, either). Remember, he has been doing this stuff since Henry Meyer got him hooked in High School, and he had the physical equipment and desire to do it all the time.

Talking to Led in NYC a year or so ago, I was impressed that his arms and fingers were like octopus tentacles - strong and lean and ropy and long. He isn't buff all over, but his limbs are like steel hawsers.

Another thing to think about too: flatpickers can move that single "fingernail" at nearly the speed of light. Every jazzer, that I know about, flatpicks.

Having said that, Ozzie convinced me that thumb and 3 fingers was best for beginners (especially old ones). It gives us a kind of headstart. Each finger has an assigned string and (usually) knows where to go. That is Oz's basic formula. It also facilitates triple and quadruple stops (like a whole chord at one time), as well as rolls. The only time the finger assignment varies is when 2 or 3 *bass* notes are plucked at the same time. But, working with the right pinky is really hard because of its angle (not like the other 3 fingers - more pointed toward the thumb rather than the palm) and inherent weakness.

BTW, Sarah mostly uses thumb and 2 fingers and only uses the 3rd, ring, finger when she needs to. And, she is way better than I am.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  12:14:57 PM  Show Profile
All 5, all the time for me. Depends on what you're comfortable with I suppose.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Reid -
Funny you mentioned the pinky pointing the wrong direction - My right isn't too bad, but my left one is really awful, making some of the moves even more challenging. I have very strong fingers - from pulling weeds.... I guess that's not the best cross-training for playing slack key, is it?
Look forward to meeting you and Sarah in a couple weeks.
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2005 :  8:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Dusty, Dave, Jesse, Reid, Piffle, and Auntie Nancy. Thank's for responding so generously. I'm a five finger picker wanting to expand my versatility but it's like learning to write with my other hand. I truly appreciate all the input knowing that you don't have to, but that you do so in the true spirit of Aloha.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Kiwini

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  11:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Kiwini,

You use all your fingers because you play Kaopuiki Aloha. 'Nuff said.

That's one song I could use an extra finger or 2 on for sure.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  1:47:12 PM  Show Profile
Mike-

I never looked at it that way. Mahalo.

Aloha,
Steve

PS. Go Wendy's Brah!

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Wendy's as in "finger lickin' good chili? That place is just up the street from me which is quite disarming. I'll quess that gut's only playin' with 4 fingers.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 04/08/2005 2:09:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  2:26:54 PM  Show Profile
Ho da poor guy, los da fingah and da ahm. Whas nex? I don't know but, "Save da Geetah!!!!!!"

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  2:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Interesting thread.

When I was first learning slack key I trained myself to play with just thumb and index finger so I could really get inside the way some of the old time players played.

It subtly changes all of your syncopations, rolls, doublestops and everything else. You cannot really duplicate that sound with two or three fingers -- well, I can't, anyway.

Lot's of old folkie and blues guiatrists played that way, too.

I mostly play with thumb & two or three fingers -- depends on the song and all -- but I go back to the old index from time to time just to check in with that sweet old sound.

You might want to give it a try sometime.

Happy pickin'

Mark - who types with his index fingers, too.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  08:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Let me chime in here: (or was that another thread?)

I started Guitar lessons on my own in the seventies by using the book:

"Colliers quick and easy guide to playing the Guitar"

(it was neither quick nor easy )

It taught the classical position for sitting as well as the classical approach to fingering (thumb and three fingers). It included lots and lots of diferent picking pattern exercises to encourage independence of thumb and fingers. When it got to the point where I had to read standard notation, I quit using it. (Standard notation is bad enough for the piano and terrible for alternately tuned guitar. I.M.H.O. it is a poorly concieved and implemented system - much like the QWERTY keyboard) I have also strived to assign the fingers to the higher sounding three strings and cover the lower sounding three with the thumb (not from the book per se), like Ozzie prefers.

There is one guy I know of who is/was adept at using the pinkie to sound individual notes and his name is Leo Kottke. I watched him use it for melody as well as for some of his "rolls". However, since he sustained serious injury to his picking hand some years ago, he may not longer be using his pinkie so much.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  12:25:40 AM  Show Profile
I like to try to keep a PIMA 4 finger approach...
but have done some switching to thumb plus 2 for some slack tunes...it does change the articulation emphasis and feel...
glad to hear Mark say so.
The ring finger still is a little devil for me...it tends to hook the top string sometimes, maybe because it's on the last high string.

The pinkie I save for rare "Rasputin" flamenco flourishes, and of course non-musical miscellaneous picking, "he who shall not be named".

Sincerely,
Harry "I've got that old patch magic" Potter and winner by a nose.
Hey, it's snowing here.
Good ol Denver.
Could you tell me where platform 9 and 3/4s is please?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  06:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Gordon!
Funny you should ask about Platform 9 3/4 - it's here - ask the kanikapila friends - like HapaKId - The sign will lead you to it.
The pinky is a good finger to keep in reserve to use when you have stitches or a big bandage on another finger - or when you've pounded it with a hammer. Another funny thing - in folk music, i used 2 lowest strings for melody, seldom going to the 4th, and then plucked or rolled that top 3 strings - that 4th string was generally hit only when doing rolls, flamencos and caribbean strums...
Come on out early - no snow here - sat out in sunshine by beach for breakfast. And I think La Honda must be nice too!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000