Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 5 finger pickin vs 4 finger pickin
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:37:04 AM  Show Profile
The guy that taught me used thumb and 2 fingers. The configuration also fit with Bluegrass--Dobro and banjo, also Travis' stuff. My Dad used to say "Play clean, and comfortable for yourself." One size don't fit all.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  2:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to offend lefties (who pitch and box really well against righties). Its about picking hand versus fretting hand. Most malihini worry about the fretting hand (I did and do, somewhat, because I am not talented) and not about the tone-production picking hand. This is also true of players in other styles - there is a whole macho thing about fretting quickly, and nobody cares about what that note sounds like. The concern about picking hand shows a mature concern about the quality of the sound, not just some plink/plunk of the sound, and I applaud it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  4:31:56 PM  Show Profile
My buddy Jack, a steel player, is a lefty. He maintains that the money hand is da left one. That's why so many righties quit, they can't get the money hand to work. It's a stretch, but worth it. Using the nondominant hand will enhance and round out your personality and mental abilities. Proof was given to me by a customer in special ed.--Workbooks for faculty showed how to aid students in this regard.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  4:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Wh, JWN, you jam in Seattle? Lemme know, if can. Kory
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile
You know John, when I started trying to play the guitar, I asked myself exactly the same question, because it *did* seem like the fretting hand had all the difficult, dextrous (even that word has "right hand" as its root, in Latin) stuff to do. Especially in strumming, and even when using a pick. However, now I am not so sure. I think the fine motor control is really demanded of the picking fingers (in "fingerstyle"), while the fretting fingers have a little wiggle room in where you can plant them. Both must be moved equally quickly (although the fretting hand is often locked in a chord shape for several notes), but, to get back on my tone production hobby-horse, the picking fingers should be able to modulate position and attack very finely.

And, I don't take all this too seriously, because I can't play guitar too seriously. All of this is just an ultimately unattainable goal for me, but I manage to keep myself amused.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  04:21:30 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Zeke down in Tacoma is a lefty who plays right handed. Tiko on the northend of Seattle plays left handed on a right hand strung guitar ala Libba Cotton and Bla Pahinui. Long as it sounds good.
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  09:11:25 AM  Show Profile
How did pick wit da right an fret wit da lef, turn into jab wit da left den punch wit da right? Could it be? Pay Fo See TV?

Careful you buggahs no broke da han, coz oddahwise no make diffrenz any way. Den da ony ting you fret is payback time and da ony ting can pick is da hunna buttas.

But for reals kine, just for trow one wrench in da mix, how bout hands vs foots?

Tony Melendez stay play slack key but he no mo ahms. You tink he stay wonda about left han vs right han? I no tink so. Maybe lef foot vs right foot!

I saw dis Tony guy play live in Santa Cruz, CA. He no get hands or even ahms, but dat guy can play! For reals! He even drive cah li'dat. Wen I bought his CD, he sat down, hemo da cellop, cellpf, plastic papah, open da case, pull out da papah, sign um, put da papah back, close da CD case an wen hand um back to me wit my jaw on da ground. Talk about inspiration!

He play da kine Jesus song, but he stay use slack key, open tuning lidat. He no play Hawaiian kine kiho'alu but still yet slack-key. If you get chance, go see him. Or maybe not coz guaranz you gon feel like you no can play!

Try look:

www.tonymelendez.com

Enjoy da story!

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/19/2005 08:30:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  08:54:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Meesta Nelson,

A'ole pilikia! No problem, You're Welcome. Too good eh, da story.

Da ony time I wen see him on da tv was wen da Pope (God rest his soul)came to da states. He wen play couple song fo da Pope an den da Pope wen giv um one kiss an one spesho blessin. Da Pope wen tell um fo go out an be one beacon fo all da ha'ahd life peopos dat get challenges li'dat.

Wen I met him, we stay talk story litto bit and he talk about any kine wit mo entusiasm den mos' peopo. He laff and crack joke too. He get plenny da kine confidenz. Tahriffic da guy.

I stay happy you wen go dea an read um. Mahalo fo back-sharing, yeah?

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/19/2005 08:58:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000