Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Hafa Adai & Aloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mxkey
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  7:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mxkey's Homepage  Send mxkey a Yahoo! Message
Hey just a shout to all you island peoples from Gregg in Saipan.

Looking forward to hanging here and learning more about slack-key.

Gregg

"If music be the food of love, play on, give me excess of it..." - William Shakespeare

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the 'Patch!
Are you a diver too? Those are wonderful places to be, especially if it's for work. Have fun with the music; you'll learn an amazing amount here from the variety of experts here.
and there have been past threads about open tunings on other tunings in the Pacific islands. what are you finding?
Aloha!
nancy (in California)

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 04/14/2005 03:30:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  08:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome Gregg!
For us geographically impaired, can you tell us where Saipan is situated and what kind of music you find there?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Hafa Adai Gregg, I checked out your pitchas of Saipan. Nice place fo live. Lucky you. How long have you known about slack key? What was your first reaction to it? You have come to the right place to learn about it. Lots of knowlegeable, kind, and helpful people here. Enjoy! E komo mai!

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/14/2005 11:30:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  12:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Eh HapaKid!
That's almost as lame a question as Gordo wanting the airline phone number...
Don't you have a map? And Atlas? You're gonna have to get one for the Keiki, might as well get it early..... remember WWII history - Saipan in Western Pacific.
Auntie -
PS: now you know how to get to Kaliponi, come back soon!!!

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, and welcome to the TP Gregg,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2005 :  07:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Howsit Gregg, big thank you for sharing your pictures of Saipan. I always wondered what the landscape was like there. I pictured it being flat with rolling hills. Hey, they got some strange looking bugs there to huh? Alohas
Go to Top of Page

mxkey
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  10:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mxkey's Homepage  Send mxkey a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Nancy

Welcome to the 'Patch!
Are you a diver too? Those are wonderful places to be, especially if it's for work. Have fun with the music; you'll learn an amazing amount here from the variety of experts here.
and there have been past threads about open tunings on other tunings in the Pacific islands. what are you finding?
Aloha!
nancy (in California)

Thanks for the note,

I don't scuba here but I will be. I got certified in Palau ten years ago so I need to refresh the memory chip. But I do free fairly often.. we get lots of high surf warnings... gotta watch the rip... but nothing like crusing on what your lungs can hold.

There is some use of the alternate tunings here but most of the local music sounds real familiar... reworded covers of rock, pop, and even rap. The keyboard with drum really dominates bands out here... not my favorite.

I am looking forward to this site. I have some of Keola's stuff but don't put in the time.

"If music be the food of love, play on, give me excess of it..." - William Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

mxkey
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  10:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mxkey's Homepage  Send mxkey a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Welcome Gregg!
For us geographically impaired, can you tell us where Saipan is situated and what kind of music you find there?
Jesse Tinsley

Jesse... there is a whole world out here that few know about.. so thanks for asking. Saipan is an island 14 miles long about 150 miles north of Guam. If you knew anything about this area at all, i wager it would be war history. The bombs that ended the Japanese war effort went throught final assembly here and took off from Tinian (five miles south). Today, it is a fairly modern place... like part of hawaii when you get away from the city. The major industries are tourism and garment assembly. The local population is most Chamorro and Carolinian. But it is an asian buffet here... Chinese, Philipino,Korean, Japanese, South East asian. I am presently dating a wonderful Thai lady... so it is culturally super diverse. Anyone curious? C'mon on out... our average temp this winter was 84 degrees.

Go to Top of Page

mxkey
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  10:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mxkey's Homepage  Send mxkey a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwini

Hafa Adai Gregg, I checked out your pitchas of Saipan. Nice place fo live. Lucky you. How long have you known about slack key? What was your first reaction to it? You have come to the right place to learn about it. Lots of knowlegeable, kind, and helpful people here. Enjoy! E komo mai!

Steve thanks for the message... I am glad you like the photos, Saipan is an interesting place... i have lots still to discover. I have always had a taste for slack key but when I lived in Palau in the mid 90s, I heard a band called Hapa. And that really caught my ear... up to then and even now, I like the blue string bending style but slack really mellow and sweetens the tone. At the time, I needed that... i was a tad sick for home after being out there for two years. So Hapa will always have a special place on the shelf for me. So tell me how you came to slack key Steve?

Go to Top of Page

mxkey
Aloha

5 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2005 :  10:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mxkey's Homepage  Send mxkey a Yahoo! Message
Hey thanks you all for making me feel so welcome... I will be coming by lots to learn and to chat... you are fun bunch... let's bbq!

i gotta go crash now... just finished the Thai new year festivities... four days of song, dance, water, baby powder, great food, beer... and dance... did I mention the dancing? I wore out my slippas!

Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  01:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Welcome to the TP Ohana, Gregg! Ah Saipan! Always wanted to go sailing over there, Palau , and all over Micronesia. Magnificent diving over there, too (head's up Auntie Nancy!). Maybe when I finally retire.

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  03:55:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Maggie!
You hafta train your replacement before you can retire. If we could figure out the airfare ($$$$??) it would be a fun trip. And I'd bet we should take hapakid with us. It sounds like his kind of place too.
And Gregg, if you like HAPA (I'm going to another of their concerts Saturday) and Keola, also try some of Keali'i Reichel's CDs. His is one of my very favorites.
where is "HOME"?
There's lots of learning material out there. I found that Keola's was too tough for me to start with but perfect for a friend who's a pro musician.
Have fun!!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  6:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Bruddah Gregg,

I fell into slack-key jalike you and many others, through the Hapa experience. Their CD was in my car stereo for 3 months straight. They and all the other Masters have rekindled my love and appreciation of Hawaiian music, and specifically Kiho'alu. And that has brought me here to the TP. So, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/18/2005 7:23:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000