Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 South Bay (San Jose) Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  3:05:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm pleased to announce that Espresso Garden in San Jose will be hosting a monthly Slack Key Open Mic. This will take place the 1st Wed. evening of each month, with Wed. May 4, 2005 as the first night. It is entirely free to performers and audience, but the food there is nui ono, and it would be nice to support our "host"
--- The Open Mic is a great place to show off a few songs, try out some new ones, work on stage fright, etc., in a warm and supportive environment. Don't worry if you don't have your pieces memorized, there will be a music stand available. If you only want to play one or two songs, that will work, too. The idea is to provide a place where "local talent" can play and be appreciated by others.
--- Espresso Garden is a great cafe in San Jose, across from Valley Medical Center. It is a superb venue for music. George K, Led have performed here, and Keola B and Ozzie have used it as a workshop site. They also host open mics for classical guitar and a general singer/songwriter. There is a slightly raised stage, good amplification system. Excellent sandwiches, salads, espresso and tea drinks, soft drinks, wine beer, which will be available at the cafe's normal rates. It is located at 814 S. Bascom Ave. Pretty good freeway access. Map, directions, photos of venue, etc. at their website: www.EspressoGarden.com
---- Sun Jose Hawaii will sponsor the evenings and offer door prizes for the performers and for the audience members. (Typically gift certificates of a decent denomination.)
---- Doors will open at 6:30 PM for food and drinks. Sign up for musicians will be at 7:00. (You can "get in line" to sign up earlier, but I won't open the official list until 7:00, according to my watch.) First performer at 7:15. Music until 9:30.
---- The plan for at least the first night will be performance slots on a first come, first serve basis at sign up time -- each slot up to 15 minutes. That means if more than 9 performers show up, the first 9 will get a guaranteed slot, with a "pending list" for the extras -- someone might not want the full 15 minutes, etc. If less than 9 performers sign up, we'll divide the time evenly. Please, performers playing with others will count as 1 time slot for the group. (Details can be modified as we gain experience.)
---- This night currently has a focus of slack key guitar. This includes solo instrumental, solo singing/guitar accomp., multiple guitarists. If, however, we don't get sufficient interest on the part of guitar players, I'll be open to including other instruments. Sorry if this offends players of other instruments.
---- I will "host/MC," at least for the first night or so, and if you want more info, use my link to email me.
---- ADDENDUM: After getting some email feedback, I think it might be good if the people who think they are going to show up and perform either email me or post below. That way if we get more than 9 people, I can shift the model to try to accommodate as many as possible.

May I please encourage you to attend, perform and bring some friends.

(I have a 1 page flyer available, if you would like to post it someplace(s) -- email me -- thank you very much)

Edited by - RJS on 04/28/2005 07:39:43 AM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  07:41:45 AM  Show Profile
I've had a problem with my internet connection. If anyone emailed me in last few days there's a good chance I didn't receive it -- please resend

As I noted above, if you think you can make it and want to play, please drop me a note so that I can adjust the playing times if we get more than 9 players.

mahalo nui
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  11:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
raymond, this is cool!! i need to plan my next bay area trip around a first wednesday.

thanks for pulling this together,
aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  4:35:27 PM  Show Profile
Keith,
Let me know if you decide to actually do this & I'll make sure you get a spot to play (don't even have to bring your axe -- no problem finding one to play up here)

I just hope enough people show up to make it "fly."
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
This sounds like fun. I'll be there Wednesday and play a tune or two.

The Espresso Garden is really nice place - good food (alcoholic beverages, caffeinated beverages, desserts, light dinners), good sound system and the owners are great people. I've seen a number of really good shows there. I hope other Taropatch people show up to support the open mic and the Espresso Garden.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  06:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Gary, I'm real close so I'm going to try to make it down there Wed.
Slight issue of getting off of work early enough.

Raymond !!! Are you going to be playing yourself? I'd be interested in hearing some of your material.

Cheers, Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I certainly hope to do a slot along with whoever else comes to play --
Mike -- you gonna play - hope so,
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  05:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I had a pretty pleasant time the open mic last night. Bwop, Doug, Raymond and I performed. It was fun getting a chance to work on my stage presence (and practice playing through mistakes ). As always, it was interesting and inspiring to hear everyone's choice of songs.

I think for a lot of people, slack key is a solitary thing that you do at home. It was nice to hang out with other slack key players for an evening. I encourage others to join in next month’s open mic.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  06:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi Gary, and Raymond.
My brother lives in San Jose. I am hoping to come see him in September or October (I am going to the Uke Festival in Southern Cal on Oct 1st and will have to organize myself around that event. Would be fun to get together with some of you there in San Jose.
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Let's "chat" closer to date - I'm sure a get together is possible
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  07:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha KonaBob!!
I've heard so much about you that I'd like to meet you when you hit SoCal!! Please keep us posted and we can probably get a kanikapila going - I'm right by LAX so that's convenient if you fly through here - lots more folks down San Diego way.
nc

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  2:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Open mic was very enjoyable in spite of small turnout. I loved hearing each of the players -- I think we all had some great moments, and some notes we'd like to "take back," but I think that's one of the great things about an open mic -- no competition, lots of support, good place to share and grow. (I think being on stage is one of the really important growth experiences I have as a musician. Each time, no matter how big or little the audience, I get jitters. Each time I'm happy with some stuff, not so happy with other stuff, each time I feel like a learn more than I put out. I highly encourage taropatchers to use these opportunities wherever they are.)

BAY AREA FOLKS -- people at Espresso Garden open their doors just for us -- the place is not normally open in evenings except for performances. I get nothing (other than the fun of it) for making the arrangements --- that said -- yesterday's turnout was 4 "acts," 3 others in audience. Espresso Gardens is willing to give it another shot, but if there is no additional interest, well, it doesn't make sense for them to open up and pay staff -- and loose money in the process. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking there is a need for this. So, it's up to you, folks, if you want this opportunity on an ongoing basis, please show up the next time, Wed. June 1. Otherwise, well, if there is no need, that will be the last opportunity at this venue.
(Also, given the experience yesterday, I can't see any reason to not open the mic to anyone playing/singing any instrument in a Hawaiian tradition/style. - So sliders, ukers, violists, etc., feel free to join in.-- and bring a friend or three.
Go to Top of Page

sdm
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh I just learned of this tonight, one day late! I think this is a great idea... I've attended several concerts at Espresso Garden, its a great place to listen to music! I've not attended any of the other acoustic open mics, and I am quite a ways from accumulating sufficient talent and nerve to play at one of those.... but- a low key slack key event, I might try! I can probably cope with an audience of 10, but, I understand that such a small, supportive atmosphere is not critical mass to make it feasible for the owners. So if not play, I'll listen. I'll put it on my calendar. Thanks Raymond, for putting this together.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  4:50:59 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,

Thanks for relaxing the rules. As you already know, I now play with a "band" composed of two Ukes and a Guitar so we did not meet the selection rules for your event the last time. I do now know whether we can show up for your next event or not but we will try to make if if we can. (Availability for weeknight events depends upon my day-job commitments and other band-member commitments as well).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/06/2005 4:51:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2005 :  8:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Just a reminder about June 1 - and a quick related note

- Wed. June 1 is the next scheduled open mic at Espresso Garden (see above postings) - I thought there is a need for it, but perhaps I'm wrong. If folks want this forum to continue, we have to have a turn out. (Espresso Garden opens just for the event, it is normally not open in the evenings.) --- so, come and play if you want, come and listen, bring some friends - buy a snacl or some drinks

I will not be checking taropatch.net from noon on 5/20 until the morning of 5/29 -- if you have questions that you want me to answer, please note the time I will be away. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha E Raymond, this sounds like a lot of fun. My husband Larry and I will see if the next one is possible for us. We like to sing two or three Hawaiian songs. I was going to try and catch your act at El Calderon, but was always in Mountain View on the wrong Fridays! Someday...
Julie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000