Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ho'omau in Irvine - how was it??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  07:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I guess it's better to be overwhelmed with choices than barren of opportunities (sorry, midwestern brethren), but I sure hated to miss the Eddie Kamae visit to Irvine. I was plotting up to the last minute, but with obligations on Saturday and the Ohana Brown playing in the Bay Area I just had to pass. I'm sure some of the SoCal TP Ohana made it to see Eddie, Mike, Ocean, Paul, Analu, and Braddah Smitty. When we saw most of these guys in Kane`ohe I was completely blown away - Eddie is so charismatic, the arrangements are so compelling, the whole band is such a music machine, I still get a glazed look and a goofy grin when I just think about it.

I also heard that the inimitable Kimo Hussey was teaching some ukulele classes in your neighborhood. Anybody catch that?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran!
Any time you see a concert, come on down and we'll get as many together as possible.
I went to the concert last night, and yes, awesome, wonderful, love all those guys. And it was lots of FUN!! As you know, it's part of a 4-day festival and most of the folks are in town and catching up with each other. After a bit, I realized that the stage gnome was none other than Barry Flanagan!! And I must say, he did a fine job. Also, 2 lovely aunties - Maku and Fran?? or? Anyway, The Sons had just asked them that day to do a couple numbers. and when they came up on stage they said what thye'd play. Aunties said, no, you play this! They are of the older-than-us generation, but wow!! What funny and S E X Y performance - And Ocean is one very funny boy! He did a hysterical Chinese impression dance, telling very funny story.
The other SCSKS folks were Rik (slkho) and Donna, Dusty and Sheila, Don Price from Patrick's workshop and some of the Kealani's. But also Uncle Tapia was there!! He signed Rik's guitar. He didn't perform, but he negotiated the stairs!! He's older than my Dad!! Eddie is adorable, funny, cute smile, you know - great performance all around.
And now tonight we're all going to see Ohana Brown - a bit further drive for me...
And then we'll meet Sarah and Reid.
Tomorrow is a big kanikapila at Dusty's to say farewell to Ianui, Don Narup and his wife who are moving to a retirement community by Las Vegas. I am sure he will be active getting events put together out that way for all of us. And we'll be able to jam with those folks from the cold country.
Karl from the North Pole may be here in 2 weeks - anyone around, especially on Friday? I'll let you know his schedule and see if I've talked him into leaving late late Sunday or not 'til Monday so we can kanikapila on Sunday. Close to LAX, have some space to stay here...
Whew - guess I got off the topic! Too much addrenalin pumping!!!
aloha!!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Aunty Nancy

Retirement Community? Retirement Community?

I've already retired twice. 24 years in Marine Corps and 30 years in Banking. I now operate a full time business that provides financial analysis services to the banking industry nation wide. Plus do a little music producing in my spare time.

Lets call it an "Active Adults Community"

See you at Ohana Brown concert tonight. This is going to be a teriffic show.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:03:58 AM  Show Profile
The performance was unique. When the guys played without Eddie there seemed to be some clashing of who was to play lead, etc. Also they got a lot of jangle from the 12 striners and even some from Ocean's 6 string.
But when Eddie joined them it became instant TIGHT. His persona joined them. It was magical. We wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Oh, I'm in trouble now (again...) I know Ianui is just embarking on 3rd career, just thought he was moving to "retirement community"... better than Old Folks' Home. No, I'm looking forward to seeing his new home out in the desert.
Kaumaha minamina!!!!!
Can't wait 'til tonight!!! Am leaving soon to beat some of the traffic, especially since it's raining (I know weather.com says 0%) but it's raining in MB...
See all Taropatchers there!!!!!!
me

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Auntie Nancy!

Eh, you earning mileage points on your car? You are EVERYWHERE this week! Many thanks to you and all the other TP'ers who are posting the concert reviews and all the other events that are happening. If I wasn't a slave to my work, I'd be down there in a hot minute! Hope you are all having fun and enjoying all the great music that's going on. Keep those posts coming!

Ianui:
Happy trails to you, and best wishes on yet another illustrious career! I'm sure you'll see many of us at your doorsteps soon (ha!). I'm not letting go of the thought of a Hawaiian music convention in LV someday. Good luck, brah!

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
Although I didn't see fellow TP-ers there, we thoroughly enjoyed HAPA down in Irvine culminating the 4-day festival. As I think we said about Eddie Kamae's concert, there were also other well-know folks who joined in the stage action. Kimo came up and sang, and did some translating. Eddie Cruz also came up and sang. There were impromptu hulas - they guys were really fun. And Mike Ka'awa's sister joined too.
As always, Barry, Nathan and Charles were pure professional, amazing (and amuzing) performances. And they played on and on for our enjoyment since it was the last event of the festival and they were all in a very festive, upbeat mood and drew us in with their positive energy. And Keith, they did a really nice version of Ku'u Lei Awapuhi. I almost didn't go because I was exhausted, and very sorry to have missed the fun at Dusty's. I could not have made it all safely. and besides, I don't want to say good-bye to Don - Let me know and I'll be in the Caravan to "drop in on him".
Aloha all -
"What a Wonderful World"

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000