Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 ohana brown in carlsbad: recap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  08:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all,

the `ohana brown did one great show last night at the carlsbad village theater! i counted about 200 in the audience. the show started with the hula halau (oh, i forget the name, sorry =( ) doing two hulas to recorded music - they were great. then, kevin and ikaika came out (one of the SDSKS members said "what's with the cowboy shirts" until slkho told him about paniolo palakas =) they did the first 40 minute set, singing, instrumentals, and with the hula dancers joining in two numbers and with ka`ena joining in four numbers, i think. one of the dances was to "ka `uluwehi o ke kai" and it looked like they had been dancing with the browns for years. after the break with heavy CD sales and signing (and a lot of reunions between the browns and old friends) they went into their second set. two more dances (one by the kumu halau hula and one by HER kumu - both way too youthful to be called "auntie") they ended with "hawai`i aloha". they then did one more number - "kalo man" by ikaika - dedicated to the neighbor in the audience, and whose house was the target of ikaika's rock throwing when he was young =)

the show was put together wonderfully - don narup has the magic touch - and everyone had a great time. plus, for me, i had the great pleasure of finally meeting the legendary reid and sarah, what a treat!

eh, nancy - i'm soo glad to hear you got home okay!

aloha,
keith

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2005 :  06:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Here are a couple of shots from the festivities that Don (Ianui) asked me to post. In the top photo, Don is the "man in black". The second is, of course, Reid, Kevin, Sarah and Ikaika.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 04/24/2005 06:48:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  1:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou, e o'u mau hoa ki ho'alu!

Just back from a *spectacular* weekend in San Diego … For more on that, see my post on the thread 'Kanikapila at wdf's on 4/23/05" ....

Just wanted to add to Keith's notes about the 'Ohana Brown concert and list some of the songs I recall them doing that night - although due to euphoric delirium at the time, I can't recall everything. By the way, Kevin later explained he changed the playlist at each venue but for one, where he repeated what had worked so well before... less stressing-out that way! Here's some songs I remember (in no particular order):

No ke Ano Ahiahi (Kevin & Ikaika vocals)
Pu'uanahulu (Kevin & Ikaika vocals)
Whee Ha Swing
Hi'ilawe (with Halau Na Meakanu o Laka o Hawai'i)
Ka Uluwehi o ke Kai (with Halau Na Meakanu o Laka o Hawai'i)
How D'ya Do
Koke'e
Wahine 'Ilikea (I think this was danced by the Kumu of the Kumu Hula)
Kalo Man (Ikaika lead vocal)
Ku'u Hoa (Ka'ena lead vocal)
...and of course, Hawai'i Aloha with great audience participation...

I'm sure others can add to the list...

The production was very visually evocative as well, with the stage set with a wealth of tropical plants and flowers, mostly supplied by the Halau. The name of the halau means "The Plants of Laka of Hawai'i" - Laka being the goddess of hula. There was also an ongoing slide show of Hawaiian scenery projected above the stage during the pre- and post-performance times, giving us a "window" onto the islands. This, with the halau opening with two hulas (Maunaleo, by Keali'i Reichel, and another I wasn't familiar with) before the Browns came on stage, created a great ambiance for the concert.

I saw the 300-seat theater was about 2/3 full, and Don confirmed that there were about 200 people in attendance! I'anui Productions' hard work paid off.

Kevin, as always, not only had great stories and anecdotes, but frequently "sent" his songs out to individuals, and thanked all those who contributed to making the evening possible, including taropatch.net.

It was a wonderful concert… one can always hope for another ‘Ohana Brown Tour!

Me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  2:50:11 PM  Show Profile
And we too, were treated to their newest song, "jailbreak", it's sure to become a classic.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  06:51:28 AM  Show Profile
Sarah wasn’t kidding when she said we were in a euphoric delirium during the `Ohana Brown concert. Listening to Kevin and the kids (ho, they would hate that – and Ka`ena is still a cop who has been issued a gun, so I better watch my mouth) was just like being Home, on some ideal island in the Pacific, with old friends.

Yes, Kevin and Ikaika are seasoned performers, so some of what you saw and heard was part of the “act”, meant to entertain you, of course. But a lot of it wasn’t; it was just the way they are, and made up on the spot, appropriate to the moment. Knowing Kevin as long as I have, I can tell from his facial expression, his tone of voice, and his word choice, when he is saying, or doing, things that just bubble up from his heart and mind. There was a lot of that; some funny, some serious. I remember once, at the Maui Aquarium, when somebody forcefully requested the “Hawaiian Wedding Song”, which Kevin dislikes. He immediately quipped, ”Sorry, the guy who knows that song just left.” He is a master story teller, and some of that came through (but get him alone in Hawai`i sometime for a really great talk story session). When he dedicated that song to *all* the Taro Patchers, that was not pro forma. He feels deeply the importance of TP to himself and all the friends he has made here, and your impact on all of slack key and the artists who create it.

It is clear that the intent of much of the concert was to showcase the abilities of Ikaika and Ka`ena, but you could also appreciate Kevin’s talent for making the whole greater than the sum of its parts; Sarah said that 1 and 1 added up to lots more than 2. Ikaika got to shine in a virtuosic performance of Whee Ha Swing, with lots of bends of the neck (don’t try that at home folks) and over-the-top harmonics, while burning up the fretboard. But, mostly, it was wonderful Hawaiian ensemble playing and singing. Kevin told us long ago that there are at least 2 ways to play anything on the guitar and we saw his truth that night. `Ena’s voice has gotten better and better over the years, and if she isn’t equal to, or better than, some official pros, I am stone deaf. Sarah recalled when we we first heard her sing that Amy Gilliom song, at the opening of Mele `Ukulele in Wailuku, when she was still in High School. And, we heard her second song, written by Keola’s grandfather, a year or two later at a benefit (with Dennis Pavao) at Christ the King School in Kahului. Her voice has smoothed out and become wonderfully flexible and expressive. And talk about a smooth voice – I simply don’t know how Ikaika can sing that high and stay in tune when he backs her up. It is spooky to listen to that talent. I remember once, around a camp fire, when he did a dead-on Ho`opi`i impression just for laughs (I think it was “Telephone to Heaven”, or some such) – and he was only about16. Can you imagine having about 15 years of professional musical experience when you are only in your early twenties? The mind boggles.

What a time, what a night.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  08:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Well put Reid. So far I've seen all the shows except San Diego and they keep blowing me away. When the Grants Pass gig is done there will be a void in my life until camp.

Aloha nui,

Kawiks
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh boy oh boy. Excitement is building. Friday night is our turn in Grass Valley. Look for Lynn and Loren with great smiles on their faces as we welcome the Brown Ohana, Mark and .. Dave, will you be there for that one as well?

A hui hou !!!

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  10:45:39 AM  Show Profile
Lynn,

Yes, I'll be there. I still be da bus driva. You folks up there are in for a real treat. We'll be looking for the smiles. See you there.

Kawiks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000