Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 I got a gig at the Conga Lounge, April 30th
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  8:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I'm sitting in on steel guitar with a group, The Faux Hawaiians, while their regular steel player recovers from an operation. We're playing this Saturday, April 30th at the Conga Lounge in Oakland. The Conga Lounge is a retro tiki bar located above the Cafe Rustica restaurant in a nice part of Oakland:

http://www.congalounge.com/

The Faux Hawaiians are "a lively quartet (guitar, ukulele, steel guitar and bass) that will take you back to Hawaii in the 30's with their blend of vintage Hawaiian songs, standards and hot tunes from the 20's and 30's". The Hawaiian tunes we do are of the hapa-haole variety.

There's no cover charge. We'll be playing a couple of short sets between 9pm and 10:30pm. I'll be there playing my National Squareneck Tricone. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

Gary

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  2:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Have fun, Gary; wish I could be there!

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  1:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Thanks for the encouragement. It's a small place so I'm sure we'll have no trouble filling it.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  10:10:18 AM  Show Profile
I play with Da Uddah Guyz, our tag is "Aunty's backyard, Hilo 1948". Slack key is Doctor's orders.
Sounds like you guys will have fun.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  8:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Aw'right Gary!

Congrats. Big success to you.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  03:48:05 AM  Show Profile
aloha Gary!
When are you taking the show on the road and heading south? Sounds like you had a good time!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  06:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
There are no plans to take it on the road. Driving from Palo Alto to Oakland is enough of a road trip for me .

In case anyone is curious how we sounded, I put a couple of samples from the gig on my "MP3 Vanities" page. My playing is not going to make anyone forget Sol Hoopii.
http://www.rahul.net/gaa/mp3/

It is pretty fun to do the "plays the songs from the 20s and 30s" thing. I was involved in an earlier incarnation of this group. We dug through lots of compilations of old 78 recordings looking for interesting tunes from that era. We literally listened to hundreds of old recordings.

Gary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000