Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:49:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm new at new slack key guitar, but am a willing student of my boyfriend, Jerry (jlsulle). He has loaned me his Baby Taylor since the size fits me better than my large folk guitar. I'm also learning ukulele on my 1960's or so Kamaka Ukulele purchased on e-bay.
I attended the Aloha Camp this month and can't wait for the next one. We had a wonderful time and met so many great people and the teachers were so much fun. I took beginning slack key guitar, beginning ukulele, hula and lei making. There was so much more I wanted to do. The sing alongs were great and I really wanted to take language from Kaliko (sp?) but missed out on those classes. I'll have to budget my time accordingly next year. Aloha to everyone here at taropatch.net. Diana

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  03:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Diana,
Aloha. To you and Jerry. Welcome to the realm. You've been hit hard with all things Hawai'i because thats where your soul is. Live your passion!. Think/sleep/dream, on which discipline you with to master first, and do it. All things will come. In time.

You may not remember, but I met the two of you at Kalani.

Alo'ha,

breath, with life, for me.

Mike

piffle
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  12:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Diana,
Welcome.

You will find several of us Beamer/Kahumoku/Kotani/Trapp (etc.) Puna alums here. There is so many good things about what you have started, that your life can be filled with beauty. We have made lots of permanent friends because of this, and i suspect you have too. So, jump right in.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  1:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Diana,

Welcome to the 'ohana! Sounds like you have discovered already that all things Hawaiian are interrelated - music, dance, language, culture, arts. Each informs the other, which makes learning about them all the more rewarding. Kaliko is a dynamo teacher -- he made class so much fun. I hope you can take his class next year.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  6:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Diana!!

Welcome to the forum. It was great meeting you and Jerry at Aloha Camp.

I still can't get over Jerry recognizing me from my picture on the forum.

----------
Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2002 :  10:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome and thanks for bringing some of that camp aloha to this site. I get a real kick out of you guys seeing your profile photos here and recognizing each other out in the real world. May I take this moment to encourage those who have not posted a photo to do so now?

Another aloha camp alum,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  02:43:23 AM  Show Profile
So Andy, how do we put photos on the site? I can't readily find any directions, and it would be a neat thing to learn, since I have some cool photos of this last camp. I wish you had been there to watch Keola do his donkey/elephant hula. I almost died laughing, and the photo doesn't really convey the hilarity of it all, but it's a start.
Aloha, Julie

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  09:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julie,

Putting a photo in your profile is easy.

In the upper right hand corner of your screen, there is a link "Profile". In the "Modify User Profile" area, there is a field for "Picture URL:".

What you need is some web space somewhere to store your photo. The "Picture URL:" requires the following format... http://www.mywebhost.com/photo.jpg

If you do not have server space, email me a photo and I can put it in for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

So when are you coming to hula on the east coast? Sounds like you're a real pro now... you going on tour soon?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  10:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andy, it may sound like I'm a pro at Hula, but I'm really only another victim of it! So far I've danced for a few of the musicians coming around... All I can say is that it's strange to realize that one of the highlights of my career is gyrating on stage at a little mountain tavern to some guys plunking on the gitars. (Never mind that the guitarplayer is someone like Ledward or Flanagan or Kahumoku.) Heehee. Still, I keep thinking back to the 60's and 70's and my dear Mother admonishing me about being on stage... Ah, those good old days. Aloha, Julie

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Diana, by the way, it was wonderful getting to know you at Aloha Camp. Hope I didn't disturb you too much with my ukulele plunking in the early morning. Hope to see you again soon! Love, Julie

Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2002 :  6:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Julie, your ukulele playing certainly did not disturbe me (or Jerry) as we were next door neighbors at Aloha Camp. In fact, I loved hearing it and hearing your lovely voice whenever you sang also. That is part of what makes the camp so special; the sharing of Aloha and the music. Jerry had a nice compliment from our neighbors on the other side, who enjoyed hearing him practice slack key in our cottage. With having screens on the windows rather than glass, we get to enjoy eveyone's music. I sure enjoyed meeting you also. Thanks also for showing us the hula to Pearly Shells at one of the jam sessions! Diana

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000