Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 SoCal workshop trip
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2005 :  9:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
If Reid can post his 'shameless commerce' post, I guess i can let loose of this self-serving notice also.
Just wanted to say how much i am looking forward to this weekend. I will be coming into LA Friday morning, spending a few hours with an old friend, then wandering over to Auntie Nancy's place for the afternoon/evening (see Manhattan beach entry under this forum). Saturday i will take in both workshops with George K. in LA and San Diego, then the concert that evening. Back to LA Saturday night or Sunday morning for the second LA workshop with George, and maybe some more picking that afternoon before retruning to Alaska.

I do hope to meet as many of you as possible while there, at either of the workshops, the concert, or Auntie Nancy's place. I cannot remember where you all reside, so if you are going to be at any of the weekend events, let me know so we can at least say hello, and maybe even exchange some licks. If you happen to see a big guy, about 6'6", 250 pounds, short gray hair, casually dressed in shorts and aloha shirt, it could be me.

I want to thank my wife and daughter again for helping make this trip possible, and also Auntie Nancy in LA for hosting the kani kapila Friday night and offering a place to stay.

I hope your weather holds up to standard; we have had days in the 70s here nmost of this past week (yes, quite warm for this time of year) and i don;t really care to slip back from that

Karl
Frozen North

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  05:03:17 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
Wear a name tag or put a rose in your lapel. We'll look for you at the Sat San Diego gig. I can't make the gathering at Auntie Nancie's.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  05:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Karl doesn't need a name tag, all you have to do is look up!

See you on Saturday, Karl. Unfortunately I can't make it to Nancy's on Friday

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Yeah, Dusty, we sure are the long and the short of it, aren't we?
Chunky; no roses up here yet,maybe i can find one in SD? Hope i can resist the temptation to eat it instead of wear it...you might just look for a stem in my lapel. How about my chintzy platic lei? Or, just take Dusty's advice.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  07:26:35 AM  Show Profile
No problem, we have roses... and hopefully, you won't have to eat it...
Hey - SCSKS - Karl is going to the workshop first - anyone getting together for dinner there before the concert? Or can recommend a good place to eat close by?
mahalo -
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Karl, I can't make it to A-Nancy's, will see you at the workshop though. I'll bring ya some mittens.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  11:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey karl, i'll see you on friday! i won't make the saturday workshop (duty calls).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  2:50:44 PM  Show Profile
Karl Monetti sez:
quote:
Yeah, Dusty, we sure are the long and the short of it, aren't we?

Mutt & Jeff

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  5:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!!
Gotta tell ya - Karl's great!!! we gave him fine weather and he loved George's classes so hopefully he'll get here again. Yup, he's a big guy with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye - made me wish Jesse would come back soon too....
come back soon!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  05:20:51 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I missed the George K gig and seeing Karl M - I had a plumbing emergency that took two days to sort out. Very messy.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  05:39:27 AM  Show Profile
He was sorry to miss you too - and all of us homeowners really empathize!!
by the way, yesterday he really got lucky with the workshop - there were just 3 of them, Karl, Doug from Island Legends, and my friend John Dietz from Dietz Brothers Music Co, so they already even knew each other and Doug recorded the whole thing.
What a lot of fun, all this is!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  1:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
What a great weekend. Many thanks to Keith and Bill & Vicky, who drove up for kani kapila Friday night. To steel Guitar Jeff, for sharing his music and filling in the gaps with sweet, shimmery notes. To young Rachel, who i did not really get to hear play, but who livened the deal up. To Doug of Island Legends for helping me with tickets to the workshops in LA nd coming to play music with us. This sweet young man has a feather touch and an incredible ear for the music. To John and Susan, who dropped in late but kept things rollin'. And, of course to Auntie Nancy, for organising the evening and for a nice, quiet , private room for my first ever water-bed experience, and for the good food all weekend.
The workshops were good, with Uncle George changing the songs he covered each time so at least i would have new material to cover :). The last workshop, in LA, was attended only by Doug, John, and me, so we had a great time at a little more advanced level. And, yes, Doug did (audio)record the whole thing, including Uncle George's wonderful stories.
I had a great reunion wht my best high school buddy up in Van Nuys, and he drove down to San Diego with me for the second workshop and the concert. There we got to connect with Dusty & Sheila again, Bill & Vicky from the night before, Mike of Mika ele fame, and the inimitable slkho, Rik Nieves. The class was large, about 20, and hard to get much out of with everybody playing the same thing at the same time over Uncle George's amplified 12 string, but Uncle responded to a student's question about playing along with someone, by having Dusty play one of his nahenahe pieces, with Uncle George accompanying. THAT was worth the trip. At the last workshop, in the smaller learning environment, i found myself doing something like Uncle had shown us, much as Keith and Bill had done at kani kapila the night before (As I had wondered to myself...'how do they do that???')
The concert that evening was a hoot. I met Ken. That would be BIG Ken to most of you. I missed you , Terry, but priorities come first, and stinky comes before pretty music in my house, too.
Got to sit in on the sound check for the Sunday afternoon concert in LA afte the last workshop. Sat right next to Daniel Ho and Herb Jr.. They were trading stories about their recent gigs. (including Daniel "buying time" on stage by playing three slack key pieces; one by Dennis, K., one by Led, and another famous piece on solo ipo. He then finished it off with anothe ipo solo cover of Queen's We Will Rock YOu...great story to listen to him tell)...great stuff . Then watched Uncle George orchestrate the happenings of the coming evening concert before i had to go back to Auntie Nancy's to pack. There i met Nick the Pilot. A barrel of fun uke/singer. We played a bunch of songs for a few hours while i got to use some of my new-found ideas and abilities to accompany him. Fun, fun, fun.
Aunti Nancy guided me back on the freeway, after sharing some of her Mother's Day dessert with me, and the airlines have gotten me home safe and sound and tired once again.
REMEMBER, the airlines fly BOTH DIRECTIONS. Love to see any of you up here,.a nd promise to lay out the red carpet if you can make it.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  1:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Pleasure to meet you Karl, (the moose is loose!!) See you in '07,
Denali or bust, (what's a measley 200 miles)
Sorry I didn't get you hear you play, we had good food though aye?
Glad you enjoyed the w/s & concert, sorry I had to go...too much to do. I finally hit the pillow at 2:00am this morning.
Aloha,
ZZZZZ-z-z-zzzzzz,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Karl.....Good to hear that you had a great time and that you made it back home safely. Try to get some sleep.... that also goes for you Slkho! By the way Slkho, almost finished with your ipus? I should be done in a couple of weeks. I definitely need some more sleep. Last night I was listening to my recording of Ozzie that I made in July and realized that I was playing Napili Chimes WRONG! Hey, that's what you get at 1:00am! Not exact but close enough.
Thanks for the compliment. I just try to play the best that I can and with as much feeling as I can. Bill, John, Keith, Jeff and Karl....I wish I was as talented as you guys.... maybe in another 10+ years.
Thanks to Auntie N for letting us invade her house again! Thanks to Daniel Ho for letting me borrow one of his KoAloha's. I tried to get Herb to sign it but he wouldn't.... maybe next time. Can't wait for mine.... next month sometime. Thanks to Uncle George & Herb for their knowledge. Thanks to George, Herb, Daniel, Toast, Siena & Derek for an awesome show.

I'll keep you posted on the next WHAT, WHEN & WHERE in L.A.

Island Legends, LLC
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile
Kani ka pila, or at least practice session at the shop again?
mahalo!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  03:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey karl, i really enjoyed playing some music with you (and everyone else). your nahenahe playing must make it feel like the trade winds are blowing over fairbanks.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000