Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Classical Slack
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I've pretty much given up hope of finding a copy of the record itself, but can anyone supply a track list and credits from Ozzie's first LP? I'm working on the section of the slack key book (did I mention I'm writing a slack key book?) that includes Oz (and Keola and Cyril and the rest of that generation) and I'd like to be able to at least refer to the tunes on his first recording.

(I'd ask Oz, but I'm saving all my pestering for one grand set of follow-up questions. Oz, if you're reading this, you've been warned.)

Come to think of it, if anybody has a copy of "Hardly Working" by George Kuo, Wayne Reis, and the Kipapa Rush Band, I'd love to have the same kind of info on that as well.

FWIW, the book should be finished sometime before fall, though I've no idea what the editing and production schedule will be like. Nor do I have any idea of what it will be not to have this project on my desk. Maybe I'll be able to find my desk.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 05/11/2005 2:56:13 PM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  9:13:03 PM  Show Profile
The Hawaiian music reference "bible" is this one, by Brett Ortone:
http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bmu/494810.html

H-u-g-e paperback...covers all known recordings released up to about Summer of 1999.

No lyrics, but the front half lists all songs and who recorded them; back half lists musicians and all their recordings -- full playlist of each album. Lists include album title, record label and catalog #.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2005 :  06:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
[Idiot researcher slaps forehead, blushes.] Thanks, Auntie--my copy is right over my monitor, and I use it all the time to look up individual tunes. Don't know why I forgot about that resource. [Pause while I.R. checks Ozzie's entries in the Artist section.] Turns out that "Classical Slack" has only a kind of stub entry for the album, but no individual tracks. (The Kipapa Rush Band, on the other hand, has tracks for two albums listed, so my second request is taken care of.) At least for this chapter the artists are still around to ask questions of--try writing about Atta Isaacs sometime.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000