Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Flanagan-Makana Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  12:48:43 AM  Show Profile
Just caught Barry Flanagan - Makana tour -- highly recommend. It's coming up to Berkely tomorrow and then down the CA Coast.

Makana blew me away. Superb on slack key with some very modern touches. Branched out to include some other styles -- very impressive playing both technique-wise and feeling. (I was not too impressed with his first CD, but feel very different after tonight.) His falsetto on the traditional Hawaiian pieces reminded me of early Sonny Chillingworth. (Like that should be a surprise?)

Flanagan was a bit of a disappointment -- was up to his usual level on the old Hapa stuff, but I think he was kind of floundering around on some of the neweer, as well as traditional Hawaiian pieces. Feels to me like he hasn't quite figured out what to do post-Hapa. Downright blew the accompanyiment on one of Sonny's old fado-based songs. Come on Barry, pick up an Amalia Roderigues CD, or maybe Mauritzia or Misia or Dulce Pontes and get a feel for the genre.(Hey, criticism is cheap.)

Anyway -- a good show -- and now I just gotta go and play. Goopd concerts do that to me.

Raymond
San Jose

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  01:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the update RJS. It's especially appreciated since the "Hawai`i Guitar Tsunami" is not coming east.

Some people thought Makana copped out on his first CD since it wasn't very Hawaiian. People certainly expected slack key from the "Ki ho`alu Kid a.k.a. Matt Swalinkavich". Hawaiian or not, I liked his first CD... maybe I found it refreshing since it was all Makana an no cover tunes. I thought his song writing was a decent freshman effort for a guy so young.

Regardless, I thought Makana was great at the Waikiki Slack Key Festival 2001. He told me that his 2nd album would be all Hawaiian (not sure when it's coming out.) Highlight for me was when he sang one of Sonny's Portugese songs. I think it's titled Charmarita... it was really sweet. I'm looking forward to his new CD.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  02:54:00 AM  Show Profile
I caught Barry and Makana at the Aloha Festival on the Wharf in Santa Cruz on Sunday, and again on Mondaynight at Henfling's, a little roadhouse tavern in the mountains. Kind of a funky old place, but great for intimate concerts. Barry asked me to dance, (hula) which I did later in the set. He was very personable. Makana almost brought me to tears with Charmarita and Ku'u Lei Awapuhi. What sweet songs. It was a fun concert, and I'm actually wishing I could follow them around. Does that make me a groupie? But I'm trying to get my Hawaiian music fix after the severe withdrawal from Aloha Music Camp. I'll do anything about now!!!! So they did a few numbers that were not Hawaiian (a bluesy number by Greg Allman, for instance) but the variety was pleasant. Let me know what Makana's new CD is like. Aloha nui, Julie

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  03:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Re.: Makana's CD -- He was selling it on tour tonight, but wanted $20.00. That's gouging for me. I looked at the playlist and it seems to have a lot of the Hawaiian standards. Looking forward to it. Supposed to be released in Oct. when I'll get it at local Hawaiian store for $13.95.

Re.: First CD - I didn't mind that it wasn't Hawaiian. I listen to a lot of non-Hawaiian stuff. It just didn't do much for me.

Hey Julie, you in SF Bay area? Where? Want to get together?

Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2002 :  03:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Julie, almost forgot. You know Makaha Sons and Mel.Leed coming to Kuumbwa next month, no? Also big Ha'i concert in Oakland coming up.
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  02:17:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Raymond,
I live in the beautiful redwoods in Boulder Creek, Santa Cruz County, but wish we had some coconut palms around here...
On occasion I work in Alviso, only when I HAVE to. I will be going to the concerts you mentioned. Sometimes Jerome asks for hula dancers so he can relentlessly tease them. (I may be up to the task.) And I certainly will not miss Auntie Genoa in Oakland. See you there?
Julie

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Have to add my 2 cents...

Saw Barry and Makana couple of nites ago at Henflings. Two very talented guitarists. Loved the show. Kind of odd seeing Barry in this role. After being the frontman for so long, and having such a superb technical skill, he was humble enough to hand the night over to Makana. He hasnt been the rhythm guitar for a long time, I know.
Still, it was 2 top notch musicians, with a love for the style, doing what they do best in a tavern the size of my living room! Cant top that!, okay, one thing did.
Julie and Abbey's breathtaking Hula. Thank you girls, some things are worth showing up for:)

aloha
Mike

piffle
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  12:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Julie, Mike

I will probably be going to Makaha Sons, but won't be able to make Oakland. Auntie Genoa and Amy on the same billing - wow,

I live near Valley Fair - Intersection of Hwys 17 & 280.
Regularly get together with 1 or 2 other slackers over here.

Want to try to get together either at concert and/or to play? Contact me at LSRS @ ix.netcom.com.
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2002 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, Makana's website is now up at http://www.makanalive.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000