Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Templebar, Berkeley CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  12:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Oh, my, do I feel foolish. Probably every other Hawaiian music enthusiast in the SF Bay Area knows about the Templebar, but I just paid my first visit. I'm speechless. For those who don't know, I'll explain that Templebar is a bar/restaurant in Berkeley, on University "below" San Pablo. http://www.templebar.org They server Hawaiian food and feature a wide variety of Hawaiian music, including bands, uke classes, jams and open mics.

For the open mic tonight I hooked up with Ross from Sebastapol, then we ran into Lawrence, of Cool Edit advice, at the restaurant. The San Jose Uke Club performed from about 3:30 to 5:00. The group was led by Hiram Bell and featured Lawrence's wife on a Kamaka concert (right, L.?) ukulele and vocals. The open mic featured individual members of the uke club. Lawrence accompanied his wife playing slack key to her uke and vocals, a great combination. I wish we had a singer in our family <g>. The performances were all really enjoyable, and it adds such a dimension to music to see people performing it.

The Hawaiian music took a break, and we were treated to a group playing Okinawan folk songs on sanzen??, vaguely banjoish instruments. The songs were arranged to contrast the male and female voices, and it was solid fun. I twisted Hiram Bell's arm and got my turn between the Okinawan folk group and the acoustic country trio. While they set up I filled the dead time with "Mauna Loa" from the Ozzie book, and "Salomila" which Patrick showed me. Goodness, it was fun getting in front of an audience.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  02:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Fran, I was invited to go there with Lawrence and Cynthia but was unable to make it! Thanks for the report, I wish I had been there. Maybe next time I'll be free to go. But isn't it loads of fun to mix guitars with ukes and voices? We do that at our Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz meetings. Whoever shows up with whatever instruments gets to play along. I really enjoy that. Reminiscent of those old days when you just showed up at da beach around sunset. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  12:47:23 PM  Show Profile

Thanks for the good review Fran, it was enjoyable to meet you at last. Also to see Ross again after GK's Napili Workshop. You did not mention that the place was packed! We had our little secret and now you've spilled the beans! Now everybody will be there! These "Hawaiian open mics" occur once a month (first sunday of month). Remember folks (if you are planning to go) it is a small place so call ahead and make a reservation!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000