Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 George Kahumoku Family Show Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2002 :  01:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Caught George Kahumoku's show today at the Arden Fair in Delaware.

He played for a little less than an hour, with George primarily handling backing music with a 12 string, and Keoki doing lead guitar. The star of the show was probably Herb Otha Jr, who had many tunes to showcase his uke' soloing and lead parts.

The highlight of the show was a medley of hymns that started out with a Hawaiian version of "Amazing Grace" that had the locals (and me!) looking to buy a copy of his "Hymms for Hawaii" that he had on sale. Keoki's son and daughter performed hula for a couple songs. I had seen hula a couple times, but when you see a couple six year olds do it, it's even more stunning.

Although I was hoping to see more solo slack key instrumentals, it was a thrill to see a family together enjoying themselves on the grass. There was much so much aloha amongst them playing their Ki ho'alu. Between that and receiving Keola Beamer's Homespun "Learn Slack Key Guitar" it was a banner day for me!

If he's in the area, especially to those on the east coast who don't get to see these artists often, I'd highly recommend seeing it, and stick around and chat with him, he's a heck of a nice guy,

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2002 :  4:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

this show just passed through san diego; i think that it was the last stop, but perhaps there is one more? anyway, herb jr. was not with them, but there was a wonderful performance by halau o na ali'i (see http://home.san.rr.com/halauonaalii/ and some chicken-skin chanting by mark keali'i ho'omalu.

george and keoki were still on for only a short time, but they played well. i love keoki's singing and his strumming techniques - i was lucky to get a private uke strumming lesson from him on friday. their versions of "ama ama" and "ka'aahi kahului" were great.

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 09/09/2002 16:32:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000