Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 BLUE MARLIN after Maui Slack Fest ???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  2:30:43 PM  Show Profile

That makes 16 and counting....

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/14/2005 2:32:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2005 :  4:33:00 PM  Show Profile

OK - I just finished talking to Von - the owner of the Blue Marlin and he says "come on over". He is going to reserve the middle section of the restaurant (which will seat about 24 people) for us,
starting about 6:30PM June 26.

Perhaps some more of the AMC'ers who are comming over to the Maui Festival might like to join us...

What say you Islandboo? (or others)

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  03:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
K'den Lawrence. I called and left two messages with Boy Kanae, but looks like it's not necessary now to talk to him now, since you spoke with Von. Thanks for arranging this! We'll see you all next week! Weeha!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  05:13:36 AM  Show Profile
islandboo sez: I will certainly try to be there! Auntie Cathe will be providing my transportation on Maui but I am sure she will want to be there as well, and if not, I ought to be able to bum a ride from somebody. I head home Monday, so I would love to make Sunday night extra special!
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  09:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Oakie Doakie, The Blue Marlin "Wrap Up Cast Party" was a big success. I told Von that 12 to 30 people might show up (so he reserved 24 seats), but there were about 35-38 and we overfilled the main area (and overwhelmed the staff). Folks were kind of tired from the Workshop or Camp so there were not too many volunteers to play open-mic at first. However, after Jerry bravely started with a few numbers we got more volunteers. Pulelehua and I did a couple of our standard numbers as well.

From memory the folks that played were:

....Jsulle
....Dusty
....Pulelehua & Lawrence
....Julie and Larry's son (name?)
....Larry played bass most of the time
....Uncle Kevin and Ka'ena (WOW!)
....Kaleo and Brian (the house band - also Wow, especially later on)

Kaleo and Brian were very very gracious and accomodating. Von had not told them that a bunch of would-be performers were about to descend upon their gig (Bad Bad Von). Nevertheless, they ended their set early and lent us their equipment and helped run the sound too.

Kaleo got inspired to share his quite formidable Na Leo Ki'eki'e (falsetto) skills with us and effectively used Dusty as accompanyment and "straight-man" for some of his jokes. Very well done! Super kudos to Dusty for skill (and courage).

The whole thing went to 10:30 or so even thouugh the restaurant normally closes at 9PM on Sundays.

All in all a very nice wrap-party in my opinion...

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/29/2005 09:44:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the report, Lawrence. Sounds like quite a crowd - overflowing! And a great time with great music!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Lawrence!

You forgot Bob 2 and I (Maggie), the virgin open-mic'ers, who bravely played "Sase." Yes, it was very fun and a great way to cap off a wonderful day (and week!).

M
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey Maggie,

Me thinks I was fetching some things out of the car when you played... but memory usually fails as well. However, Now you are Experienced open-mic-ers!!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  2:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Ah, I was planning on singing, but after Kevin Brown played with his beautiful daughter Ka'ena singing, I was not about to humiliate myself. Aaargh, what I wouldn't give for a voice like hers. Just outstanding. And Kevin was pretty good, as well.

My son, Corey, who is mostly into heavy metal (gasp!) is starting to show an interest in Slack Key. After all, he grew up on Gabby's music, etc. At this very moment he is in London, England, to audition for the Guitar Institute. We've told him that if he's crazy enough to try to make a living playing music, he needed to get the education to become also a studio musician, so he could pay his bills now and then!

Still trying to recover, Julie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000