Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How many picking fingers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sellars
Aloha

Netherlands
30 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  9:27:40 PM  Show Profile
As you can see in my other topic I just started the book by Ozzie. He talks somewhat about the picking hand, describing a few styles. For his first song I preferred the (what he called it) oldfashioned style using only my thumb and index finger.

Are any other styles preferrable once I go into somewhat more advanced stuff?

What are you guys using?

I've always been crazy but that's kept me from going insane (W.J.)

Playing: Ukulele, Slack key guitar, Mandolin

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  10:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Somewhat personal a decision -- however -- the more complex your music gets most likely the more fingers you will want to use. For instance, pretty hard to do a good "rool" with only thumb and 1 finger - but you can approximate it if you develop enough control of your strums.
I typically use thumb and 3 fingers, adding the little finger only when necessary. Typically that gives me one finger for each of the top 3 "melody" string in TP -- also gives finger to alternate a run on one string to keep it more smooth.
Some of this develops "naturally" as you get into more complex arrangements.
Welcome and enjoy the path
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  9:12:16 PM  Show Profile
PIMA...but with room for adaption...
P is for plectrum or thumb
I is for index
M is for Middle
and A is for Auntie C... (ring finger) or something like dat.

It's easier to omit a finger later for a simpler style, than to add it as you try something more technical!
Sometimes I try a little Pim...no A, for 'Moe Uhane', to facilitate a nice, basic, even roll.
But I endeavor to use Pima as a primary approach.

I started out wanting something simple, easy and fun... but as always, it led to other, more challenging material.

Don't limit yourself out of the chute.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  03:18:06 AM  Show Profile
I've seen the older guys in Tacoma, Uncle Zeke Kala, and Sam Awa'a, use thumb and forefinger. Led uses the same. Ozzie uses anything he wants. I was taught thumb, fore and middle. This carried well over into Dobro and slide, ragtime and Travis style. Whatever is comfortable, clean and do=able for the song. One size don't fit all.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  03:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I use thumb, index, middle most of the time. Sometimes, I use the ring finger also.

I like what everybody else has said. And I'm with Kapila Kane. Try more fingers now and then make adjustments later.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  2:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I use thumb, index, and middle; and then ring when I need to do something extra, which is rare.

The way I see it, it depends somewhat on what music you play. See what works for you. You mention advanced stuff. To my mind, that includes some of Keola's music, which may well require ring finger skills, as well as considerable left hand strength and flexibility. But there are many respected players who use no more than thumb, index and middle. Depends on the player and style, but I think that in theory if you do use all fingers, you're ready for anything.

For whatever reason, I found it really natural to double up on the work my index finger does, as my index finger is quite smart, and let my ring finger be quite lazy (weak little thing that it is). Not everyone agrees with this approach, but I found it very difficult to incorporate my ring finger as a regular member of the team.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  8:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
When I start working on a new piece, I start out using whatever fingers work, as I am mostly trying to learn the music. As I progress, I start looking for ways to simplify the picking (and fingering on the fretboard) so as to require the least motion and movement. I have found that on some pieces, I've started using thumb, middle and index and then discovered it would be much easier or faster or fluid or whatever to use three fingers plus my thumb. Those relearnings of the picking usually set me back awhile until I master the change.

What I find most interesting is that on the pieces I know the best, I don't always use the same fingers. It's almost as if my brain knows what notes need to be played and provides a finger for the job. I try not to focus on that too much for fear of losing it, as it seems to make my playing feel more natural and when performing (which I do little of), it helps make up for clumsy fingers.

I'd be interested in whether others have experienced the same.

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:39:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jcfergus

What I find most interesting is that on the pieces I know the best, I don't always use the same fingers. It's almost as if my brain knows what notes need to be played and provides a finger for the job.

Aloha, Jim!

Yes, I do the same thing. I've been playing and my brain suddenly realizes there's a note coming up that my fingers have forgotten - and so the pinkie is sent to do the job - or a different finger on a downward 'strum-pluck' rather than the proper finger on a pluck. Even the thumb has jumped up to the second string.

Not good form, I suppose, but the music sounds good. It's also kind of amazing, like someone else's hand just jumped in.

Puna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000