Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Davis, CA beginner
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mutantmoose
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  4:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey folks, this is one heckuva resource, I've learned so much since I logged on and joined.

My wife's family is of Chinese descent from Hawaii, all of her aunts and uncles are from there or live on Oahu. This haole has a lots to learn still about family, hanging out playing music, that kind of thing. We have a 1 year old now, and I'm glad to say that his hapa heritage is a great thing.

I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, played in a couple bands, lots of rock stuff. I've been slowly getting into slack key, and loving it. I'm working from Ozzie's book right now, and that's been a good start. I think mebbe I'll try some of Keola's stuff next.

My wife's auntie Moolan said something to me in the car other day (we were in Honolulu last week, bummer to be back), she said that nobody plays the old songs anymore. I think she was talking about songs from the Chas King book of Hawaiian songs, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try to learn some of those songs for next summer's vacation.

Anyways, I could not be pursuing more divergent hobbies than I am right now - slack key guitar and fencing. One is about chilling out, the other is about stabbing at people with swords.

I'm looking forward to reading more!

Mark

Mark
"In the business of enriching lives for 15 years."

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  5:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Mark. Thanks for coming out of the woodwork! So what kind of rock stuff?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I guess both have to do with working out of your Center.
Welcome
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  04:00:27 AM  Show Profile
Wielding an Axe. Wielding a Sword. Whatever gets you through the joys of life.

Welcome aboard. Do you know Chris Larsen in Davis? He's a fine player, plus there's a lot going on in the Bay Area. Check out www.patricklandeza.com for lessons in Berkeley.

Me ke aloha,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mutantmoose
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  05:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Andy - loud rock stuff. Funny rock stuff. Some with a band called Volvo Maroon, downloadable at http://www.ampcast.com/music/26208/artist.php, other with other bands or solo. I lack a specific genre, which is good and bad - jack of all trades, master of none, I guess. I hope to put more effort into slack key and gain a deeper understanding.

Dave - I think my cousin Emily, who is also learning, may know Patrick, or at least of him. Thanks for the link, that lesson looks nice too. (I guess that should be posted for those who are asking for lessons.) I don't know Chris Larsen, does he post here?

Amazing how the community has grown. Wow.

Mark

Mark
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  07:31:59 AM  Show Profile
PARRY-THRUST, PARRY-THRUST!! HAMMER ON, HAMMER OFF...
Welcome to the TP M-Moose ...Mutant Moose????
You wouldn't happen to have tab for Allman's Bros. Blue Sky would you?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  10:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Mark,

You can go into "Members" and look for Chris Larsen. He is a TP member. Click on his link and you can email from there.

A hui hou,

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 07/29/2005 10:40:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mutantmoose
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  4:58:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slkho

PARRY-THRUST, PARRY-THRUST!! HAMMER ON, HAMMER OFF...
Welcome to the TP M-Moose ...Mutant Moose????
You wouldn't happen to have tab for Allman's Bros. Blue Sky would you?
-slkho

Mutant Moose is an old high-school nickname, and one that nobody seems to use for a name on the internet, so it works.

Can't say as I have any Allman Bros. tabs. Sorry! (Gee, I've failed at the first task set for me. Bummer.)

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Anyways, I could not be pursuing more divergent hobbies than I am right now - slack key guitar and fencing.

Well I am relieved to see that your other hobby is not selling stolen goods!!

Welcome...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/30/2005 08:54:54 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000