Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 what kind of uke do you have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cheeba
Aloha

25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Send cheeba an AOL message  Send cheeba a Yahoo! Message
i have a lanikai kohala soprano with aquila nylgut strings. i really just started playing less than a week ago cause it was only $25 at my local music store. it is a very well made instrument and i liked it so much i purchased a higher model tenor from lanikai set to arrive in a few days. if anyone needs a starter, i'd highly recommend it. it holds its tune very well, but since i'm new i'm not sure how the sound is, but it sounds pretty good to me. what you got?

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I started lessons using my sweetie's Kamaka concert, but got nervous about using such a valuable instrument at beginning lessons. So I was looking around a shop on O`ahu when I spotted a bunch of Fluke tenors (this was in their first year of production.) I was impressed with the sound for such an inexpensive model, plus I liked the cool look, as well as the slightly larger spacing (good for my fingers.) After getting my sweetie's opinion (to make sure it wasn't just a cheapo toy), I bought a plum model, about $160. That's uke #1.

A couple years later, after learning enough to play in our halau band and accompany dancers at our shows, I decided to upgrade. While on Kaua`i, I popped into a music store and tried out a few models, finally settling on a six-string Mele tenor, for $325. It's the instrument I use for most of our shows, though the Fluke still comes out for certain occasions. That's uke #2.

Just for the fun of it, and because it was an inexpensive experiment, I ordered a Risa soprano uke-stick online ($115), which I sometimes use for shows if it's appropriate to run it through an effects pedal. That's uke #3.

I don't plan any other purchases any time soon - I've only been playing for fewer than six years, and I figure three ukes is enough for now. (Besides, they have to share limited home space with two bass guitars, a mandolin, a bouzouki, a flute, two synthesizers, a Fender Rhodes piano --- and the afore-mentioned Kamaka belonging to the also-afore-mentioned sweetie.)
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:40:26 PM  Show Profile
Martin 0 soprano
Fluke concert
Fluke tenor with rosewood fretboard, bridge pickup
Bushman Jenny tenor, low g tuning
Go to Top of Page

cheeba
Aloha

25 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  6:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Send cheeba an AOL message  Send cheeba a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

Martin 0 soprano
Fluke concert

what do you think of them? which would you buy again and which do you think are the best value for the money?
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cheeba

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff

Martin 0 soprano
Fluke concert

what do you think of them? which would you buy again and which do you think are the best value for the money?

The Martin 0 belonged to my Dad. It sounds amazing but it has a slight crack in the back so I don't play it very often. I haven't had it appraised but I'm sure its quite old.

I bought the Fluke concert because I liked the design and was surprised at how good it sounded. I keep it at work.

Because I was so impressed with the concert Fluke, I bought a tenor one, this time with a rosewood fretboard and a pickup in the bridge. I hardly plug it in, though - don't really have any opportunities which warrant it. I like the fretboard a lot and it has a nice low end sound.

I just bought a Bushman Jenny tenor, low g tuning, and it sounds great! Sounds much brighter than the Fluke, and the neck is slightly smaller/narrower, which I'm getting used to.

All of them are great ukes, although I wouldn't necessary consider any of them to be "starter" ukes (perhaps the Fluke concert?). If you looked hard enough you could probably find a uke for under $100 that stayed in tune. Staying in tune is probably the most important thing for a beginner's uke.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Cliff, you should give serious thought to having the Martin professionally repaired; an old Martin (with its amazing sound) is a treasure. Have you checked with McCabe's in Santa Monica?
Go to Top of Page

Cliff
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  5:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Retro, thanks, yes, I've checked with McCabe's and its a matter of going there when the uke repairman is in. Unfortunately his hours are at odds with my schedule, and the person I spoke with said that I should really bring it while he's there rather than leaving it there for him. Maybe when my next vacation rolls around...
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  7:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cheeba,

I have too many, but I'd like to say how much I enjoy my Akulele soprano. Neck and back is carved in one piece like a non-armadillo charango. The top is thin, solid spruce. Some have a pineapple carved on the back; mine is plain. It is heavy for its size, and I think that contributes to its loudness. From behind the Akulele, hearing it as the player, it is louder than the Kamaka concert I recently bought second-hand.

The designer/importer had a large display of Akuleles at an ukulele expo which all sounded great. I chose this one based on the wide string spacing and lower price, both attractive features.

They are built in Bolivia, but the name comes from the Easter Island stone heads.

http://akulele.com/

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  03:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha cheeba,

len young tenor steel string
ko`olau tenor (milo and sitka spruce)
dennis lake tenor (rosewood and spruce)
mele lili`u six string tenor (mahogony)
lehua tenor mahogany
martin baritone mahogony
maui music tenor (koa)
a larrivee soprano (koa, my wife's)
a valley made concert pineapple (koa)
... oh, and 14 or so flukes for my ukulele class at UCSD =)

everybody has different taste in ukuleles. some like 'em bright sounding, some like 'em mellow, some like fancy wood or carved, some like `em looking like you used it to paddle from tahiti to hawai`i. the only way to choose an uke is to play as many of them as you can. fran guidry went on an ukulele quest a couple of years ago and reported on it here; his notes are well worth checking out.

it's well worth while cultivating rich friends who have ukulele acquisition syndrome. i've gotten the chance to play two black bears, a kawika, and a couple of r. s. saul ukes, and several kamaka (including baritones, six strings, eight strings, sopranos, concerts, tenors). woof. is there an eleventh commandment Thou Shall Not Covet Thy Neighbor's Stringed Instruments? maybe it's a clause of the tenth...

of my little fleet, my favorites are the ko`olau and the lake. both are awesome instruments; incredible tone, loud, high tension feel, wide dynamic range, perfect intonation. dennis lake just raised his prices and they are still too low for what you get. and, if you're lucky, you can go visit the master making your uke and get to meet nancy and gracie at their house at south point.

oh, strings make a huge difference. again, it's all a matter of taste, try out hilo blacks, martin clears, and ko`olau golds as well as the aquila whites. see which are your favorites.

e ukulele
how do you offer so much
when you are so small?

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 08/03/2005 03:31:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  10:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Believe it or not, I only owned one tenor, up until this past monday. The concert that I play at home is actually one that I built for my wife's birthday, a few years back. Although she doesn't play, she does remind me that it's HER ukulele, NOT mine.

The first tenor that I took home was a prototype model of our custom body stock. The second one, which I was presented on monday, was a gift from my crew. It was supposed to be a surprise, but I work in the shop with them all day and it's hard to sneak things by me. They did an excellent job and now I can finally retire my prototype to the KoAloha museum (our back shelf upstairs).
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile
Keith, I'm humbled. Not only are you a guitar and ukulele virtuoso, but now HAIKU?

Cheeba, I have a Po Mahina mango tenor that I absolutely love even though I'm more into guitar. You can't go wrong with the info given here in this thread. These folks know of what they speak.

Aloha nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  7:57:59 PM  Show Profile
So cheeba,
if you have something that works to start...take some time to assimilate all this info...there's more still coming as you progress...
if you want to string your current uke low g (like IZ--and it seems dominant amongst most the Hawaiian ukers.) you may need to have the slot at the nut widened (by a luthier unless it's familiar work to you!)
There's lots of places to get the strings...but local stores in many areas only carry the "traditional" high g...and I also see the old A, D, F#, B sets...and unless you're in the stores that know, they don't often know....
So listen to the taropatchers.
Many of us are have ordered through Mike at:
www.alternatetunings.com
But be prepared for a lot of choices...
seems some of us have gone to Wirth with a low g...but all florocarbon nylon (no wound strings!)--but we tend to explore and try different things... and I've used Kamaka and KoAloha Golds with wound low g and also the c strings wound...

Anyway, there are a lot of ukes out there...
and we tend to get the fever to acquire better toys...can be expensive.
Don't be hasty if you have a functional starter uke.

I rushed into a "G string" brand, and workmanship is fair...but shows haste and less than perfect workmanship. For a couple hundered dollars more and the inconvenience of a few months wait, I could have held out for a Po Mahina tenor. That's Dennis Lake on the Big Island...
save and take some time.
Well, guess I'm still lookin' to tradin up myself.
We are people of different personalities...but many gravitate toward tenor ukes...perhaps low g.
The exotic woods have a mystic...especially koa, mango and some others.
I had to go koa tenor...the mystic won.
But some sound advisors swear the best sounds are traditiional spruce tops and a hardwood back...whether dats maple (like a violin) or good ol' mahagony...koa, or whatever.
Maybe Stradivarius knew something eh?
Go to Top of Page

cheeba
Aloha

25 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Send cheeba an AOL message  Send cheeba a Yahoo! Message
thanks guys..i ended up picking up a bushman jenny pineapple..should be here in a few days..heard a lot of good things about bushman and came across some good reviews like this one http://www.ezfolk.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=589&forum_id=19
Go to Top of Page

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile
i own a kamaka tenor and just love it. i've played other tenors such as lanikai, rick turner, bushman, etc...and nothing compares. i had to choose between a 4-string and an 8-string. i got the 4-string because i like to pick. but i'm looking to purchase an 8 string now.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  4:33:09 PM  Show Profile
I have a KoAloha Tenor that I got from Alan and Paul Okami (see KoAloha above) while touring their factory in Honolulu. I have it strung with a low G and Worth strings. Love it!

I hope to see a sweet little KoAloha D-VI (six string, set up like a guitar) so I can play all my kika ki ho'alu songs and travel with a much smaller case. I found a very nice koa board and sent it to Paul. He has made the blanks for the new ukulele from that board and will start putting it all together shortly. Hope to be able to post pictures of the "birthing" process.

The Ohana Okami is a terrific group of folks to work with. They are proud of what they make and love to show off what they do. If you are ever in Honolulu, look them up and ask for a tour.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
The Okami's are a really, really nice family.
Worth strings are really good. They last a long time. When I used other strings, I used to change them every month because they died so quickly. Since I've started on the Worth strings, I change them about every 2 to 3 months.
Anwyay, I own a KoAloha "stock" tenor and a custom KoAloha tenor.

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000