Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ho'olaule'a with Herb Ohta Jr. and Keoki Kahumoku
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone,

The Ho'olaule'a (festival, gathering) is on August 20th at Roaring Camp Railroads in Felton, California. This is close to Santa Cruz for you folks planning on attending the Outrigger Races the next day.

On stage at 5:00 PM will be Herb Ohta Jr. and Keoki Kahumoku with hula dancers from the Hula School of Santa Cruz. Dinner catered by the Aloha Island Grille is from 6:30 to 7:30. Then the Moonlight Train Ride will take off for a trip through the redwoods at 8:00, returning at 9:00. Imagine steaming through the moonlit redwoods listening to ukulele music and singing. Hmmm...

At this same time, folks who do not care to go on the train can play along with Herb and Keoki for an informal back-yard style kani ka pila. So bring your instruments and a warm sweater.

After the train returns, we will have dessert and coffee while being entertained by Michelle Kiba and her Aloha Style Band. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening than this party.

Several vendors will be bringing their goodies, and there will be a raffle with some great prizes.

The top prize goes to a lucky ticket holder: two round trip tickets to Honululu with Hawaiian Airlines, to celebrate their new route from San Jose starting in October!!!

Please come and join us for this fun event. Call 1-888-25EVENT for more info and tickets. Oh, and this is a fundraiser for local non-profits. So you're helping the community as well.

Aloha nui loa, Julie

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
E Julie
E-mail me with your mailing address - I have your lei ready.
Wish I could be there!
me ke aloha,
Deb
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  11:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha nui loa e Julie!!
Jus' a "howzit" to bring this posting up to remind people it's this Saturday. We're coming, and bringing friends (I heard ticket sales are going great-- good work!!). Tell Keoki the train is nowhere near as windy as the road to La Honda. Bumbye.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2005 :  9:09:11 PM  Show Profile
Hey Bwop, great to hear I get to see you again. We also have a fantastic raffle with a couple of ukuleles, CDs from Dancing Cat Records, all kinds of goodies. Bring your instruments, as there's a kanikapila a la Napili Bay. At least, that's planned. Also, I will be singing nahenahe songs on the Moonlight Train Ride. Hah! I hope my voice holds out, I'll have to sing above all that engine hissing!
A Hui Hou,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Julie!

Have a great event this Saturday! I will be there in spirit (and especially during your Moonlight Train Ride and kanikapila a la Napili Bay!). Wish I were there.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Aloha friends,

I have to report that this first-time event for me was quite worrisome, new concept, new facility, new people to work with. But it was a great success, thanks to everyone who helped, and everyone who showed up to support this community fundraiser.

First of all, I have to admire the musicians, Herb Ohta Jr. and Keoki Kahumoku for the first show, and Michelle Kiba and her Aloha Style Band for the second show, for putting up with the quirks of the promoter! (Me) As expected, there were some glitches for this maiden voyage, but we were able to deal with them as they occurred.

The Music was fantastic, the food, catered by Aloha Island Grille was fabulous, the moonlight train ride something else, and everywhere I looked there were smiles and people enjoying each other and the evening. The weather cooperated, the breezes were balmy, the moon came up, the hula dancers were great, it was like a touch of Hawai'i.
And I am happy to say we made some money for the local non-profits who provided volunteers for this event.

I just received an email from one of the staff members of this wonderful venue, and it brought tears to my eyes. You never know how you touch someone with the things you do and say. For those of you who came out to support us, mahalo from the bottom of my heart.

Me ke aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  04:18:29 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Julie!
I was thinking about you... if this is the first, that must mean you'll do it again. I'd love to come - gotta give me a bit of time to arrange the details like where to stay etc. It sounds fantastic. Do you have pictures?? Herb and Keoki are 2 of my favorite folks. Besides being terrific musicians and teachers, they are really NICE.
Hope to see you again soon -
nc
Go to Top of Page

karen shaff
Akahai

53 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit karen shaff's Homepage
Aloha,

I am happy to hear this event was so much fun...but sad I could not come! I was in Scotts Valley LAST weekend and would have LOVED to come enjoy this wonderful event if it had been that weekend. I had a booth selling my Beads of Light at Pescadero Arts & Fun Festival this past weekend and didn't get home til 9 pm Sat. and 10:30 pm Sun.

I hope everyone had a good time and you'll do it again next year! I will try to come if possible (but the Pescadero thing happens same weekend as Outrigger, so I have to choose FUN or Make a Living...or at least try to!).

Glad it went well!

Karen

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  3:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
E Julie!
Aloha nui loa! You da best! That show was awesome!
When Keoki asked me why I didn't bring my guitar, and I told him I didn't like to play in Artic weather, he scoffed, but as the night proceded he got my drift. The music was great (will Herb and Keoki ever stop making each other laugh??). Dinner was great (Island Grill gets props for everything except the mac salad and poi). The train ride was wonderful and random. Lights on--- go. Lights off-- stop. You picked a good one in "Kaneohe" for the kani. Peter tamed the rowdies in the back car with his uke. Back to Michelle, cake and cider (and Larry does play a great bass!).
Please do this agian, And again.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000