Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Lahaina vs Lanikai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile
Anyone play both? Which brand is better?

cheeba
Aloha

25 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Send cheeba an AOL message  Send cheeba a Yahoo! Message
i have 2 lanikai ukes. one tenor and one soprano. theyre a great value if youre thinking of getting one of the low end models like the $25-$30 sopranos or the $99 tenor. but i think when you get to their koa models youd be better off with something that is solid wood. i really like the cheap soprano i have after i put some nylgut strings on it. and i can toss it around and not worry about it.
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile
I just got back from a trip to Maui. I teach 'ukulele to some kids at the San Jose Buddhist Church Betsuin and they wanted to get better 'ukes than the "pignose" ones that they started with (can anyone blame them?). A couple got Lahaina 'ukes and some of the others got the Lanikai. The Lahaina 'ukes were surprisingly good, especially for around $50.00! These were the pineapple ones made of mahogany. they seemed like a good beginner instrument. The Lanikais seem to be a little better built. As with all 'ukes, I told them to get what they liked. Some had better intonation than others but all seemed solidly built. One of the appeals of the Lainikais was that some models come with picups preinstalled. I like to think of them as the "new harmony" 'ukes. Fairly bulletproof but playable until you want to graduate to a more substantial instrument.

Hope this helps,

Curtis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000