Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 What kind of guitar do you have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bl0ops
Aloha

13 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:17:14 PM  Show Profile
I had an Ibanez Daytripper because I loved the feel, then I found a Takamine Takamini and loved the tone. But I think I'm going to get rid of the Takamine since I got rid of the Ibanez and get either a Little Martin or a full-size guitar. I'm leaning towards the Martin because I have small hands/fingers, so travel/child size guitars are way easier for me to play. And plus, the Martin has a nicer tone than the Takamine with the feel of the Ibanez.

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile
For me, I love Takamine. Sounds just right. I hope to add a Taylor to my collection one day. I have a series of guitars, including Ibanez. Martins are nice, but I think your buying more of the name than the product, unless you get one of their high end items.
Shop around, when it feels right, sounds right to you, that'll be the one you'll want.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  1:09:25 PM  Show Profile
My first, and only, guitar for over 4 years was a Carlos "hippie" special that I bought used from an amateur classical guitarist whose add I found in the newspaper. It sounds much better than a cheap guitar should - I'm sure it has something to do with the playing that guy did. I still love to play it.
I recently had a classical style, with custom inlay work, made for me by Robert Pimentel of Albuqueque. It's like falling in love all over again.
My "travel" guitar is a Miranda - very pricey for a travel guitar, but it has a good enough sound to play it on a gig, has a full size "bout" and disasembles into a case smaller than a violen case.
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  2:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Ibanez, solid body, very nice, very well aged, can't even buy this one anymore...Taylor 810...so sweet for the slack key. Used to own a Takamine...sad story...I miss that guitar. Also used to own a Fender Strat...miss her too...oh the stupidity of youth!!

I want a Taylor T5, looking for suggestions on a classical and a 12 string.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  4:23:59 PM  Show Profile
I played a really nice Larivee Parlor guitar with koa back and sides. It was small and comfortable with a very sweet sound. The action was high enough to use slacked tunings but not so hard on the fingers. I agonized over this and a Taylor 314K and went with the Taylor (a little bigger and more expensive). I loved that guitar but, I recently was able to trade it up to my Taylor K-22ce with expression system.

For the money, the Taylor Baby and Big Baby really have a nice sound. One of the guys on the Hui Aloha CD plays a bay Taylor and it sounds nice.

But hey, I happen to work near the Taylor factory so it is easy to recommend something familiar.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  5:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
I play an Ibanez arch-back full-size guitar. I forgot what the model number is, but I know it's one that they don't make anymore. However, I'd really like to get a koa Takamine. I saw one at a music shop on Oahu and it had such a nice sound acousically and electrically, plus it was the right size for me cause I'm a small person.

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  07:13:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a 1972 D-18, second hand bought in 1980. 5 years ago I had the neck reset and a fret job. Had a Fishman Thinline installed. Great ki ho'alu guitar. I use light gage bronze strings. Great for lowering the blood pressure.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2005 :  7:34:46 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a used arch-top Joe Pass Epiphone and I really love it. Carlos Andrade, one of the instructors at Uncle George's camp, had one & I was impressed. Of course, I don't come close to sounding like him. The playability is like an electric with acoustic sound, I can't put it down. I also have an Ibanez full-size which I like whan playing in the 1st position, but there is a big difference in the action up & down the neck. When you get halfway up the neck, it gets very hard to fret.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  08:29:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm playing a quilted maple/bearclaw spruce Puna original grand auditorium.

Every part of this guitar was selected and/or shaped for ki ho'alu

Puna
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Puna,

Just coincidence on the Original Puna? Pics?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just a reminder that some members have their instruments (guitars, ukuleles, steel, etc) listed in their member profiles. I've got a McCollum and a Taylor.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  3:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
My only guitar is a La Patrie Collection classical.
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
IMHO, You gotta have one of every kind!
I have a Fender 12-string, a Takamine A/E cedar top cutaway, a Gibson J-50, a plain jane Washburn D10ST, a Samick 335-copy electric hollowbody, a white Strat, a baby Taylor, a cheap dobro and an Aria steel guitar. I haven't found the perfect guitar yet, but it's been fun looking.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Puna,

Just coincidence on the Original Puna? Pics?

No coincidence. I'll work on getting pics posted. I'm definately a proud papa.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  09:36:17 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, if I may....

I got a chance to see and play Puna's original. It is a drop dead beautiful instrument....period. It's one of those guitars where you're a bit nervous just holding....but wouldn't turn down a chance to play if you had to.

Nice!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  10:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You can see my list and descriptions in my profile (just click on my member name to the left). I'm selling the Aria though. (Photos at http://homepage.mac.com/cpatchett/ebay/PhotoAlbum10.html)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/16/2005 10:23:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000