Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack key for RMMGA CD III?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  2:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
You may want to add a little bass boost around 80Hz and bass compression in the 50-150Hz range to tighten up your remarkably steady bass, then some HF reverb "sheen", and then finally bring the level up using Hard Limit, but it also sounds fine the way it is.
How do I add bass boost? Tranform -> Amplitude -> Amplify?

How do I add HF reverb? And where do I find the Hard Limit?

Forgive me for being such a newbie with CoolEdit. Not only do I not know how to do it, but I only have the demo version right now.

I'm glad and thankful it sounded "very good" through your monitors. I recorded it in my 2nd bedroom and had no idea how to do anything to the .wav file.

Squeeks - admittedly do have to work on that.

Keepin' it real,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  3:12:20 PM  Show Profile
Do you have Cool Edit 2000 or Cool Edit Pro demo?

CE2000 is essentially a subset of CEP and does not have a lot
of the functions.

To add simple boost you use one of TRANSFORM:FILTER functions. There are several that will work, the easiest to use would be the 33band graphic equalizer where you can just slide the "knobs" up and down at the frequencies of interest. I use the parameteric EQ mostly but it is a little harder to learn to use.

To add the Compression Bass Boost Use TRANSFORM:DYNAMICS. Once again there are several dynamics functions available. You can limit the band where the compression is applied to just the bass (50-150Hz) under one of the options. For Punchy Bass set the attack to about 10mS and the release somewhere between 200-400 mS. Listen closely to seen what release time sounds best to you.

The reverb is added under yet another "transform" function. I usually use the one called "FULL REVERB". You can focus the reverb toward the High Frequencies with the "coloration" controls for that "sheen" thing that is so popular with a lot of solo steel string recordings.

Wander around through these transform things - there are lots of them!

I know it is too late for diddling too much for the RMMGA thing, but you can play with these things in you spare time for future use. It is almost a much fun as playing the guitar (for me anyway).

And like I said before, there are a bunch of tutorials available through the syntrillium site (directly or indirectly).

Wela ka hao!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/03/2002 3:20:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Larry,

I'm using a Cool Edit 2000 demo. Thanks for all the info. I do want to understand how to use this thing for future use.

I'll take a look at the syntrillium site again too.

Thanks,
Andy

Ps. I still owe you some August 2001 camp video footage. I have not forgotten. Hopefully, I will be getting the two VCRs in the same room soon!
Go to Top of Page

kihoalu
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  01:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalu's Homepage
Hey Andy,

Looks like your in the top three again. At least, for now. MP3 ratings change as people vote. But, for now, it looks like a lot of the visitors at www.hawaiimusicians.com like your song.

Kepa
Come visit us at HawaiiMusicians.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  09:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kepa,

How are you? Long time, no post! How are things on `Oahu and at HawaiiMusicians.com?

Thanks for the update and for creating a place to share mp3's.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2002 :  5:15:17 PM  Show Profile

P.S on the Mastering Notes: more about the reverb

I noticed that your recording was 2 channel mono. Another use for the reverb is to add a stereo dimensiion to a mono source. Cool Edit Pro reverb is stereo by default. By placing your source in the appropriate location inside the "synthethic room" you can create a stereo sound field. This works quite well for solo instruments but not so good for turning a mono band mix into stereo. Of course it is more usual to use two mics to get a wide stereo field from the guitar in the first place.

In order to get CE2000 to have all the features of CEP you would need to purchase pretty much all of the plugins available from syntrillium. The cost of that would exceed the cost of CEP, so if you can afford the bucks go the whole way and buy CEP. However, wait a few months to do that. I am still using CEP 1.2a because there are too many bugs in CEP 2.0 right now. I will buy it within the next few months hopefully (as soon as they have a decent service release).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

kihoalu
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  12:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalu's Homepage
Hi Andy,

I am doing great! Keeping very busy here in the islands. But, then again, who isn't busy.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that Fran Guidry just submitted two MP3's on www.hawaiimusicians.com so if you folks want a real treat, go on over to the site and take a listen. You can even rate them.

To find his songs, just do a search on his name. BTW, they are currently rated in the top three on the site (along with yours, Andy).

Kepa
Come visit us at HawaiiMusicians.com
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks so much, Kepa, for the assist in getting those files uploaded.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  4:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
At the risk of sounding really boring, my song was kind of a homework assignment. Atsuhiko, a friend I met at a George Kahumoku workshop in NYC, encouraged me to compose a song. Atsuhiko who has written quite a few slack key tunes had been planning to record his songs for fun and told me to write a song to record too. The main idea was formed quickly and over time was completed until I felt it had a start, middle and end. We never did find time to record at all but a song was born. The song's about driving home on the NJ Garden State Parkway while dreaming about driving H1 out to Wai`anae to visit Uncle Ray and Auntie Elodia Kane.

I recorded in my 2nd bedroom, sitting on a stool, using my McCollum, Sharp MDSR60(S) and Sound Professional T-mic (emulating Fran's highly recommended portable setup). I am almost embarrassed to say, but I have the most inexpensive guitar strings I know of on my guitar right now, Webstrings.com, tuned to taro patch. So pake, yeah?!?! Since I don't know how to edit, I played the song through about 15 times until my fingers hurt. When I couldn't play anymore, I knew I was finished and picked one of the takes.

I palm mute one section in an attempt to make the arrangement more interesting. To conclude, from original idea to completed song, the process took anywhere from 5 minutes to one year. No tab yet.

Thanks for listening!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2002 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
>2. If it's your home gear, what's that comprised of (mics, pre's, >mixer, room setup, mic booms, da chair, whaddya have to drink Fran? >yada yada)?

My PC recording rig consists of a matched pair of Sound Room Oktava MC012 small diaghragm condenser mics, an M-Audio DMP-3 preamp, M-Audio Omni I/O mixer, and Delta 66 soundcard. I always use the same mic position, an X-Y coincendent pair about 18" from the 13th fret of the guitar. The software was Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and I record at 88.2 Khz and 32 bit word length.

The room is a smallish bedroom, shag carpet floor, walls lined with a few thousand LP records. I have a pretty conventional office chair, and the PC is as far away as the cables will reach, sitting on a block of foam to reduce the noise as much as possible. The PC I use is a Dell Optiplex GX150, an office model that puts out remarkably low noise.

I don't drink when I'm trying to record - I can barely get through a piece with all my faculties, let alone when I'm intoxicated.

>1. How (or where) did you record? (Fran's sounds like at a party)

"Monorail Slack Key" was done in the recording room. "Waialua Slack Key" was pieced together from two recordings. The beginning and end were recorded on the lanai of a rented house on Waialua Beach Front Road on O`ahu. The noise in the background is the surf coming in right across the front yard. The recording rig for this was just like Andy's - a Sharp MD-SR60 minidisc and Sound Professionals T-Mic. The middle of "Waialua" was recorded in the recording room as described above.

>3. Andy, I think you mentioned somewhere da tune was in Taro Patch >tuning. Dat right? What about yours Fran?

Both are in taropatch.

>4. Which geetar? What strings?

I use Elixir Nanowebs on all my acoustics. Usually mediums, occasionally lights. The "live" part of "Waialua" was played on a mahogany Larrivee Parlor. The "studio" part of "Waialua" and all of "Monorail" were played on a McCollum Grand Auditorium, walnut back and sides with an Italian spruce top. You can see pictures at http://www.fxguidry.com/mccollum1 (there's no McCollum2 <g>).

>6. You bruddahs got one tab?

I don't have any tab, I just carry it around in my head and do it differently every time <g>.

"Monorail Slack Key" is a song I've wanted to learn since I heard it on Patrick Landeza's first CD. After about two months of lessons with Patrick he had me comfortable enough with the "Spanish bass" thumb pattern that I dove into it. When I asked Patrick to help me over the rough spots, he had to get out a copy of the CD and relearn it. He hadn't been playing the song much in the last couple of years. Once he got me over a couple of tricky spots, I figured the rest out from his CD. I'm still not close to Patrick's tempo, but the tune is a lot of fun to play.

"Waialua Slack Key" is my only slack key composition. The first little lick came out while I was noodling on the Larrivee Parlor in the Oakland Airport, waiting for a ride to O`ahu last June. Once I heard that I started trying to take the tune someplace - like to the V chord <g>. I played in the Oakland airport, then I played while my wife dealt with the rental car in Honolulu, played at the rental house, on the beach, hey, you know how it goes. I love 2 chord songs, vamps, and sixths runs, so I just went G to D and back for a while, but eventually I decided I needed a middle part - here comes the IV chord!!

Once I had an outline in mind I tried to let it flow, but with some kind of overall structure. By the end of the week on O`ahu I was ready to put something down on the minidisc. The opening verse on the recording was my first recording of the song. We went on to the Big Island for a few days, where I developed a consistent set of variations. Those ideas are the basis for the "studio" recording that makes up the bulk of the mp3. The details still vary each time I play it, but the overall direction is consistent.

Thanks for your kind comments and interest in the details. I have to say that I don't have a strong emotional bond with this little ditty, maybe because it sounds a little childish compared to a lot of the great slack key pieces I've heard, but I'm happy to have added one more bit to the mosaic.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page