Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 aloha from Michigan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  2:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I've been reading and learning for awhile. I'm a historian and a professor; have written a bit on Hawaiian music and hula. Hooked up with steel guitarist Gerald Ross at last, and we've been jamming here in Wolverine country. In addition to two Kamaka ukes (a 4-string soprano bought for me by The Parents when I was born many moons ago; the other an 8-string tenor which I bought to celebrate when I was granted tenure--a big milestone in a professor's life, but of course on a professor's salary, the tenor was a discounted factory outlet model), I just acquired a Flea when I accompanied a colleague to Elderly Instruments; she bought a Kamaka concert, just beautiful sound.

aloha,

amy k

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  3:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Amy - it is wonderful to have another representative from the Midwest here at taropatch.net (sadly, we are rather few and far between...). I have read some of your papers and enjoyed them very much. Since Indianapolis is only about 5 hours away from Ann Arbor, I thought I would let you know about 2 events that are happening next month in case you were unaware of them: The "Dancer's Dream Weekend" is a hula seminar on October 7 - 9 featuring Chinky Mahoe and Moon Kauakahi, with a concert on Saturday night by the Makaha Sons and Robi Kahakalau. The MidWest UkeFest will be held on October 27-30, and several Hawaiian performers will attend. See http://www.keystrummers.org/ukefest/ukefest1.html or the topic under Performance/ Event Announcements & Reviews here on the Discussion Group if you would like more details.

Aloha,

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  4:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha,

It's nice to see another Michigan resident here. I moved to Hawaii 16 years ago and fell ito the music accidently. Now I perform just about whenever I can, and my wife dances hula with me. Go figure. From the Detroit rock scene to slack key....check out my website when you get the chance www.raysowders.com

Aloha,

Ray Sowders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000