Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Monthly Jams--Eugene, OR
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

iwalani
Aloha

23 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  04:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit iwalani's Homepage
Aloha everyone!

There will be an on-going jam session for guitar & uke players in the Eugene area!

This "minikapila" will be held every 2nd Friday of each month, starting 10/15/05.

TIME: 7p-10p
LOCATION: Our Savior Lutheran Church, 2200 Coburg Rd., Eugene, OR
Suggested Donation: $3 (to cover site rental & administrative costs)

See you there!

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2005 :  8:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Iwalani!

You beat me to it! Also, the correct date for our first gathering is 10/14 (still on every second Friday of the month).
E komo mai to any slackers, ukesters, or anyone who is interested in jamming to Hawaiian music. If you have any questions, please email me through the members profile and I will get back to you asap!

Hope to see more of you Oregonians out there!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

michaelc
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  06:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone!

Glad to finally see a regular venue in the Eugene area for those of us who can't wait to get together and share their love of Hawaiian music. Great opportunity to meet new people and share talent and info.

Mahalo to those who put this together!

Michael
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  09:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
E komo mai, Michael! Glad to see more folks interested in Hawaiian music in this area. We hope to attract a lot more!

Mahalo!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Buckalani
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  5:22:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou. I just registered and this is my first post! Long overdue, yah? Wanna say public mahalo to Maggie for all the enthusiasm, organizing savvy, talent, fun, and musical expertise she's shared with me and the rest of the kanikapila-ers in Eugene. Most of what goes on here wouldn't happen without her. Also a big aloha to Iwalani who in case you don't know it has the sweetest voice this side of Moloka'i, plus loads of talent and get it done energy. Keep an eye on this one!

Now da plug: I teach beginning and intermediate uku classes at the Shedd in Eugene. Ukers in the area might want to check it out ... the intermediate class is specially fun. The term is underway for fall but we'll do it again in the winter and the spring. For info call the Shedd at 687-6526. Sorry, I can't do anything about the fee.

Eh taro patchers, there's a lot going on in little old Eugene! Buck. PS this is also the first time I've ever used a smiley face!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  10:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo to Buckalani, Iwalani and Maggie for welcoming me to a wedding luau in Eugene tonight. There was hula, kalua pig and kanikapila till midnight. Great fun! Pekelo (kikaman) was there to start the kanikapila and to play some great instrumentals on his uke. Mahalo nui loa. Eugene rocks!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  10:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo Buck and welcome to Taropatch, brah (finally!!!!). Also, thank you for your kind words!. I have to say we have some of the greatest folks in our kanikapila group! What a great year this has been for all of us here in Eugene. We've had so much fun playing and singing (and eating kau kau) together and having wonderful and talented folks visit Eugene (like Pekelo, and now Hapakid), along with all the other musicians, friends, and Hawaiian music enthusiasts. If you're ever in town, please check out our kankikapila gatherings every 2nd Friday (please contact me for the location and times). Also, if anyone here locally wants to learn uke, Buck is 'da man!

Thank you Andy and all the Taropatchers out there who make this site one of the best, EVER!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  02:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hey Jesse!

It was so wonderful having you come and play with us! We had such a blast! We were so lucky to have both you and Pekelo here at the same time, too. It sure will be an occasion that we will remember for a very long time, let me tell you! Mahalo for a wonderful evening.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  08:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the ho'okipa from the Eugene 'ohana!
I enjoyed the hula in the chilly temperatures and under the giant pine trees in the evening. Here are some pictures:

The dancer who is in focus in each photo is, from top to bottom, Iwalani, Ed (Nalani), Paki and Maggie (mahinam). Below is a photo of Iwalani, dancing solo to "Pua Lilia" being sung by Pekelo (kikaman) accompanying himself on ukulele.

After dinner was filled with dancing and music, which we took inside because it was so darn cold.
Mahalo to Maggie and the whole gang who made me feel at home for one evening.

Edited by - hapakid on 10/08/2005 05:08:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  05:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Wow, great pictures Jesse! Now everyone will know who some of us Eugene folk are. Thanks for capturing the evening with your wonderful eyes and lenses! Most of all, it was so special that you were part of it all. It was great having you here!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

iwalani
Aloha

23 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  07:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit iwalani's Homepage
Wow Jesse! Great big mahalo for sharing these wonderful pics! 'Twas a magical night filled w/friends, music, and true aloha spirit. Great to meet you!

Mahalo & aloha to Maggie (sistah after my own heart!), Buck (mahalo for the compliments brah--I'm totally blushing now!), Michael (the mix-master and resident uke/bass player of the group), and Paki (thanks for coming out of your shell & sharing your talents and aloha w/us. Gotta hear more of the Ka'au Crater Boys style strumming from you, Opihi Man!).

Special mahalo to Pekelo, for playing & singing Pua Lilia that night (and for Sunday). Cannot thank you enough for sharing your friendship and amazing artistic gifts. Wonderful teacher and friend. Such a generous soul!

We all enjoy such warmth and aloha from our musical ohana here in Eugene. We invite all our Taropatch Cyer-ohana to come and visit us sometime.

Malama pono,
iwalani
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  10:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
It was my pleasure to be there. It was true island style hospitality for a malihini like me. For those of you who haven't met Pekelo (Kikaman), he posed for a picture with Iwalani after doing "Pua Lilia" together as a makana for newlyweds who were being celebrated that evening. He is a gifted instrumentalist and singer. You'll probably hear him playing Moses' "Pohakuloa" on the Taropatch.net CD.

I loved to see Paki and Ed's kane hula, which I have only seen a few times. If anyone from the luau wants larger versions of these pics, email me and I'll send them. Mahalo!
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 10/04/2005 10:47:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

nalani
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  6:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to hapakid for coming. Enjoyed meeting you, listening to you sing and play. Hope you will be able to join us again.

Malani
Go to Top of Page

nalani
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  6:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Oops. Typer having bad day. Should be Nalani not Malani.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
You da best, Ed (Nalani). I was honored to be at your pa'ina and meet the family. I hope to visit again and perhaps learn one kane hula to bring home.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Nalani!

E komo mai to Taropatch, brah! Glad to see you can REALLY use your computer once in a while (heh, heh!).

M
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000