Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Ohta-san (Herb Ohta Sr.)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Aloha Everyone
I just wanted to say hello and express my thoughts about my father's concert at the Rio Theater in Santa Cruz tomorrow, and at Whittier college this Saturday.

To be very honest, these concerts will be very special to me. My father and I have only performed together a total of 3 times..only in Hawaii. Of course, we've been part of an event together, but harldy ever do we perform together. It is also special because my Father hasn't performed in the bay area for over 30 years. When famous french composer Andre Popp called my Father from France and told him that he wrote a song especially for him, and for him to come to France and record it, who knew that this song, "Song for Anna" would become #1 in three major markets in the United States, (including San Francisco) and sell over 6 million copies to date.

My Dad credits Eddie Kamae to be his most influential teacher in his life. When he was a youngster, he asked people around Honolulu who was the best 'ukulele player. Everyone told him to see Magua, Eddie Kamae. Eddie was using sophisticated techniques and using them in Jazz and classical pieces. Eddie then started to teach my Father all of these techniques and told him to practice very hard and apply them with his own feel to songs that he enjoys. That was the start of my Father's long journey of musical success.

My Father appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, Dinah Shore Show, and recorded albums for A&M records, Victor JVC, and so on. He has over 75 recording to his credit, and is the only 'ukulele virtuoso to have 300 of his tunes played on national radio.

As you see, if he wasn't my dad, I would still feel that he is the best 'ukulele player in the world...then...now...and forever. Of course we have other 'ukulele performers out there like Jake...of whom I am friends with and higly respect, myself, and so on, but I know that we are riding on my Father's trail that he created. No other has more experience, feel, and knowledge. Sorry..I guess that I'm just expressing too much, but this is how I really feel!

Those of you who haven't seen my Father for a while, these concerts would probably be your chance to witness one of two true masters of the 'ukulele. Those of you who are planning to be there, you are in for a treat. Thank you to Patrick Landeza of LandezaPresents for making this happen for me and for all of you.

Thank you to all of the Taropatchers who support me and my music. Hope to see you all this weekend!

Aloha,
Herb Ohta, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  4:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hey Herb,

You don't post often but when you post... whoa. Best wishes for one awesome show with your Dad. If third time was a charm, I sure wish I could be there for number four, five...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  6:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Herb,
Really looking forwad to tonights show!

Bwop

Edited by - Bwop on 09/23/2005 12:13:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  7:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Herb,

What a wonderful tribute to your father, and what talent he has passed on to you! I'm sure your dad is as every bit as proud of you too. I am real sorry that I won't be able to see what will be a couple of truly amazing concerts with both of you playing together (lucky folks who will be able to catch these performances!). It will certainly be one not to miss!

Wish I could be there too!

Big hugs to you,

Agent Mags
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  7:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Herb
I wish I could be there to experience the magic moments these events will be. You are shareing wonderful times with your dad, and what pure joy that must be.

Thank you for shareing your music with us. I know you to be an honest, sincere, most giving person, and I thank you for being the man of character you are.

Guys arn't supposed to say mush stuff to other guys, but I can't find other words that express my admiration for you in so may ways, other than

Love you Bro Have a great concert

Edited by - Ianui on 09/22/2005 7:18:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  05:07:19 AM  Show Profile
Herb,
See ya Sat. at Whittier
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile
Herb,
Paul Okami says he just made a new ukulele for you. Will you be playing it at the concert?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  10:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for your message, thanks for your wonderful playing.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile
What a terrific performance yesterday! It was way different than what I had expected - I had heard Keoki was up north, so hoped he'd be here - then I saw Daniel before the show! And then there was this old guy around who seemed to know stuff - turned out he's Ohta-San's pal Uncle Swan (cuz I forgot his first name). The first half was the kids we know and love making terrific music. Daniel sang "Cuppa Joe", written for his fiancee. I'm still waiting for Herb to sing a bit more. Keoki is wonderful - still best voice for love songs, in my very humble opinion. He has to leave today and will not be back for the Cerritos ukulele festival although he's listed because his gramma just passed on (tutu wahine for your hawai'ianaphiles). He was wearing a great hat - (for farming?) anyway, felt hat with wide brim going down. So he told us the story of the hat. His cousin has a boutique and when Keoki was over in town, he stopped in to say hi, saw the hat on the shelf, picked it up and bought it. So then he went to see Gramma. she said I see you've been over to ?? town..(that town - chunky monkey ya gotta help me here...) and he acknowleged he had. You see, it was Gramma's old hat - part of donation to store! So cool yah?
And the second half was Ohta-San and friend Uncle Swan playing old jazz like what I picture lounge singers of '40s and '50s. Uncle Swan clearly was having way too much fun. He laughed a lot, we enjoyed a lot. Now, Ohta-San told jokes.. we laughed... good thing he's a Fabulous musician; not going to make a living as stand-up comedienne.
Besides getting to visit with the guys, especially fun meeting Ohta-San (he and Herb sit same way, hold instrument same - definitely a family resemblance!).
And then Sheila and Dusty, Mary and Terry (the chunkey monkeys), friend Rick and I continued across the street for dinner and lots more talk story.
Hope to see folks again in November when John and Brittni come to town. We went to the 3:00 show, and there are still good seats for that time for the rest of the series.
n
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  5:59:49 PM  Show Profile
The town of the hat story was Honokaa and I think Nando Suan was the guitarist. Beautiful Gibson ES-175 (maybe, if I remember my jazz guitars - cutout didn't have a rounded edge like an L5)
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  7:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Aloha ahiahi kakou, yes, that was a wonderful show. I always enjoy Keoki and Herb, having spent time with them at Aloha Music Camp and other great places. Watching Ohta-San and Nando Suan was a very special treat. It's true, you can see the resemblance in the Ohtas, same posture on stage, same mannerisms, same fingering.

What was really a treat was to watch the very different styles of Ohta-San and Nando Suan, and yet they fit together as smoothly as a delicate French sauce. Ohta-San was reserved but Nando's head was bopping up and down, back and forth, and now and then he let out a laugh or a yelp, and you could tell he was really enjoying the music. It was obvious that these two have been playing together for many, many years. You know that smoothness when you see it and hear it. Every now and then they exchanged glances and smiles. Isn't it just wonderful how music is a language all to its own.

We had the pleasure of the company of lots of folks. CatheGlass, Fran Guidry, Ilio Nui, Bwop and missus, Pulelehua and Lawrence, many folks from the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz. I saw so many friends I could hardly keep track, but I was also busy with photographing. These auspicious and momentous occasions need to be chronicled!

Herb Jr, if you're reading: you're da best. I love you. And Keoki. And ......... Keep playing and making people happy. You and Keoki are so very entertaining and so very much like two trouble kids (you know the ones in school that always seem to find things to get in trouble about). Maybe that's why I can relate to your show and routine, I got into trouble as well.

Julie

Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  8:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou:

Ah, it was truly a night to remember. From the tight harmonies and falsetto of the opening act to the final "Hawai'i Aloha" every moment was magical.
Herb, what a fine tribute to your dad. And he lived up to every word. Except you didn't mention the jokes he told <BEG>. I could have listened to to he and Nando Suan play forever, especially the numbers by Carlos Joabiem. (did I spell that right?) It was just over the top. I had never had the chance to hear him live before, I'll never forget it.
I'm grateful for the opportunity to be there.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile
And it was SO cool going to Borders Books here in Torrance today to see and hear Herb and Daniel, and get to talk to Daniel's future father-in-law Marvin - another very nice family!! Good to see Doug K and try to find out what more he has up his sleeve for local concerts.
So much aloha -
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  05:03:43 AM  Show Profile
and then there were Ohta-san's jokes...

Ohta-san, HerbJr, Keoki, Daniel, Nando, thanks to all of you for the great performances!

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 09/26/2005 05:12:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

leokiekie
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile
does anybody know who the opening act for the santa cruz show was? i didnt get their names but i believe there were two brothers in the group. one of them played a beautiful slack key style. their harmonies were tight. does anybody know how to contact them?
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  11:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Aloha Everyone,

To all of you who came out to see my Dad's concert, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Thank you to the people that came from Salem and Portland Oregon to see my Dad!

My Dad, Nando, Keoki, and I had such a great time in Santa Cruz and Whittier. Special thanks goes out to Patrick Landeza of LandezaPresents, Susie Kagami, Craig Law, Braddah Kawika, Uncle Claude, Andy Andrews and the Santa Cruz 'Ukulele Club, Daniel Ho & Lydia Miyashiro, the Miyashiro Family, my Japan Mangager Fumiko Kouketsu (who came to LA and hung out with Daniel and I), David Palmer, Aunty Nancy, Cathe, Julie Hendricks for being you and for the plants in Santa Cruz, and last but not least...you taropatchers!!!!!!!

Talked to my dad yesterday from LA and he said to tell everyone that he had a great time.
Okay, okay, okay! I guess everyone saw some resemblance, but can't help it...he was my teacher!

It was also fun for me to see how much Keoki and my Dad get along.
Keoki really went out of his way to make sure my Dad was okay. Thanks Keoki! Hey...he's my brother! Brother's do fight!!hahaha.

Thanks to Paul Okami, Alan Okami and the KoAloha Staff for finishing my new 'ukulele before my trip. Hey Paul, great 'uke!!!!

Hope to see you all again soon! Maybe Jan 2006 with Daniel and Keoki....hint...hint....hint.

p.s.
Just recorded something new with Daniel....can't wait for it to be done.

Aloha,
Herb Ohta, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: