Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Central Texas!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:33:40 AM  Show Profile
Aloha ya'll!

I'm a haole boy from the mid-west - 'bout as far from the ocean as one can get! Met a hapa haole girl in high school (ohana from Hilo side) and the rest is history. Settled here in central Texas (thanks to the US Army), and only recently (4 years ago) reestablished our roots with Hawaii. I plucked around on guitar for decades, never really finding my true musical outlet, until I heard slack key for the first time. I was hooked before I even knew what it was.

I picked up a copy of Keola Beamer's Slack Key book and CD while in Hawaii earlier this year. I've already consumed the first four songs, and anxious for more!

I've always learned very quickly from watching others play guitar, so without a visual guide, my skills have not grown much. That is, until I discovered tablature! It's the next best thing to sitting with the masters!

Speaking of which, I just ordered the Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key instructional book! I can't wait to get started. Not too many slack key or ukulele artists smack in the middle of Texas. San Antonio is the nearest group I've found, about 2 1/2 hours' drive south.

I plan to attend the 2006 Ukulele Festival on Oahu. I'm not quite as good on ukulele - can't seem to get that wrist going quick enough!

Here it is late September, and we hit 102 degrees yesterday, probably the same today! Oh, how I miss the Big Island. I'm very glad I've discovered the Taro Patch. It won't be too long before I get signed up for an Aloha Music Camp (Keola Beamer's web site).

Thanks for the all the sharing and aloha in the Patch!

Frank
Deep in the Heart of Texas

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
E komo mai, Heart-O! We're glad to have another member from the heartland. Most of us Taropatchers are on the mainland and too far from Hawai'i, but that's where life has put us.
There are a lot of slack key instructional DVDs out there to learn from if that's how you learn best. If you search previous threads, you can find reviews of them, or just ask here and people will be glad to help.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the TP
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  1:32:48 PM  Show Profile
How far are you from Houston? Jim Garson is a very good player from Houston. His taropatch id is garson.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  2:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Welcome to Taropatch H.O.T. (and it sure is down there, right now!).

Aloha!
M
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  3:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome H.O.T. I counted about 17 Taropatch.net members in TX. Look at my search (check one page before and one after). I know it's a big state but maybe someone is near you.

When the time comes, I hope you'll post about the 2006 Ukulele Festival on Oahu. We can experience it via the web.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
For great visual learning - get John Keawe's DVD.
For tab and others to play with in the background on CD, get Slack Tracks from i'anui. Both have links here. Ray Sowders posted some mini-lessons and they too are visual and excellent. The search engine in tiny letters at the top of the page works very well for more info on what's out there. ENJOY!!
n

Edited by - Pua Kai on 09/27/2005 07:14:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  5:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow. Thanks to all for the great links and encouragement. I will check out the TX members of the patch. It takes about 4 1/2 hours to drive to Houston. Thanks again to all!

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Texas, Welcome aboard. Exactly where are you at? My son is in the Army in central Texas too. Well, I think its central. He is taking an interest in slack key and plays ukulele too.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  10:39:37 AM  Show Profile
Kiwini, I'm retired Army still working for them as a civilian. We settled near Fort Hood, halfway between Austin and Waco. Chances are, if your son is in the Army in Texas, this is where he'd most likely be.

H.O.T.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  9:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
HOT,
Heck 102 degrees? That's nothin'pardner. Had 153 here in Alaska yesterday, almost broke a sweat. 'Course it gets down to 'bout 83 b'low nights. Gotta put on more'n just slippers fer that. And, winters????? Geez, y'oughta see 'em. I scare myseff jes thinkin' 'bout 'em.
'member, Pard, you're in the SECOND biggest state.
Least y'all got some other slack-pickers there...all we got is blewgrass!
Welcome to the stew

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  09:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well,if any apologies are in order, I am sorry. It seems that i must be more of a curmudgeon than i thought, as i am often the last to post something on a variety of subjects. There will be one lively discssion after another, then i say something and everyone else shuts up. It may be that i take my idea of humor a little to far? Maybe i am just late?! Anyway, I find that seeing my name so often as the last poster on a thread makes me feel as if i had just announced that i had worms at a dinner party.
Sorry if i've been stepping on any toes, and, Heart of Texas, a sincere welcome to Taropatch

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  2:31:09 PM  Show Profile
H.O.T.,
I got to Fort Hood last year. Nice drive up from Austin. I had to visit the CTSF with some new gear. They liked it but sent it back so we can giv'um the new ones.
I looked all over but couldn't find anything near Hawaiian. Had a great STEAK though!!! Had a hard time looking for a guitar store to buy some strings.
Next time I go I'll bring something with strings and we can KanikaTexas.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  04:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Karl, no offense was ever taken by me. I rather appreciated your sense of humor, although I've been extremely busy lately and hadn't taken time to respond. Thanks for your welcoming me to the Taropatch. I just received my 2nd Slack Key book, Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key, and took up Pua Kai's suggestions to purchase John Keave's instructional DVD. (yet to arrive) I've also downloaded Ray Sowder's mini-lessons, and gone through about the first 4 of them. As I get time, I'll be making my way through more threads and topics in the 'patch. It's great to exchange info with others more gifted in slack-key than this beginner.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

HeartOTexas
Akahai

55 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  05:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Mika'ele, Thanks for the reply. There is ONE Hawaiian eatery in Killeen, TX: C & H Hawaiian Grill, at 903 E. Rancier Ave (out the East Gate of Fort Hood). The best place to find strings in our area is at the Holze's Music store on W.S. Young just south of Hwy 190. I take it you are in Austin? I'm there quite often.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  07:14:22 AM  Show Profile
HOT,
No, I live in the San Diego, Kaleponi area (Navy bubba). I flew in to Austin and drove up to Killeen. Had a great steak at that eatery on the main highway with the peanut shells on the floor. Had some free time to drive around the Texas Hill Country and buy some Justin Boots (Roper style).

The Masters book can get overwhelming. Mark is a great instructor and writer. The CD is essential to get the feel for the songs. I would suggest starting with Sonny Chillingworth's "Ho'omalu Slack Key" and work on the constant pciking pattern, memorize the second string melody work and work it in with the alternating bass pattern. Lastly try the harder hammer-on-pull-offs to give it a slack key feel. I found a liner note on this song that stated that Sonny used it to teach slack key to his students. It is simple yet complex.

John Keawe's DVD is excellent as well. No tablature. You have to learn the old way -- watch and mimic. The best part is that John breaks out the song into sections you can learn, then string together.

Go Navy, Beat Air Force!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000