Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chopstick Effect
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  01:58:47 AM  Show Profile
I was there eating some Chinese food, watching some TV with the sound off (as I'm prone to do), and listening to Ledward's "Kanaka Waiwai". He plays it on an autoharp, and I've been trying to get something that had a little different sound like for one of my songs that's chord based.

So I fiddled with a chopstick until I was eventually bouncing it off and dragging it across the strings, giving a 'psuedo' autoharp sound. Doesn't work well with a pen though ... darn thing kept slipping out of my fingertips.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has found little different effects to enhance some songs that just sound better than fingerpickin' em'. Outside of the 'dangling needle' of course .

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2002 :  3:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
couple things come to mind, ive heard Keola put a matchbook cover under the strings at the bridge giving it a muted sound, i know theres a song on Mauna Kea where he does this.something else id never seen, was on the "The Hawaiian Way" , the Eddie Kamae video on slack key, where instead if picking the strings, you use your right hand fingers to hammer on and pull off notes, while the left hand frets as normal. this was demonstrated by Manu Kahaialii, not many who play this style. anyone who plays/played rock guitar could see this as a basic form of tapping, taken to the extreme by rockers like Van Halen, who i admit i tried without much success to emulate in my small kid time haha.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  03:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
doesn't keola play a song by sort of slapping the strings? it's a weird effect but very effective.

the weirdest effect i've heard of was how this one person played the ukulele with his teeth. i didn't see this, but heard it from ray sakuma. apparently he got frustrated at one point and started biting his uke, and realized that he liked the sound. ray said that his fretboard down where he bit it was a mess.

i'm still trying to work in led's "bend the neck move" into some of my songs...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
doesn't keola play a song by sort of slapping the strings? it's a weird effect but very effective.

Thanks to Auntie Maria, you can reference the sound sample of Makee `Ailana which is on the album titled Island Born.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  6:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link Andy. Hmm, do I like the sound? It's growing on me. A bit.

I think Michael Hedges is supposed to be the usual example of tapping, etc, on acoustic. I wonder who does on nylon?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2002 :  9:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
After first hearing Makee `Ailana on CD and then later seeing Keola play it live, my first impression was that the effect was far more impactful in live performance. At first I did not like the recorded version as much. It has grown on me over time, and I've come to really appreciate this arrangement for the percussive effect Keola gets out of his guitar.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Andy is really right about the live verion vs. the recorded one. Sarah and I had gotten Island Born and listened to it before we went to Camp and didn't think too much about it. When Keola played Makee `Ailana during the "staff concert", my heart actually stopped. This is *not* a "figure of speech". It was simply astonishing what emotion leapt from his playing and that percussive technique. So, it is certainly not a gimmick, and this loops back to another discussion about emotion and making mistakes, etc. Keola's playing that night was certainly not a mistake, but emotion counts for a *lot* and Keola was filled to overflowing that week. Don't judge the technique by that recording.

There are reasons that there are lots of "Live" albums out there.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2002 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
reid, i agree; i first heard keola play it live. i was not as enthralled with keola as with other artists, but we went to hear him play with ozzie and george jr. in whittier. "makee 'ailana" live was riveting... more broadly, keola live was something quite different from him on recordings.

cheers,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000