Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Sounds of O`ahu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  08:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We pulled in at noon yesterday, and since it was a Tuesday you know we where headed to Kapono's for the evening. Led was off to Maui, so we enjoyed an evening of uptempo favorites from Alika Odom, Barry Kimokea, and Gavin ??? on bass. In spite of occasional showers, the crowd was really excellent, one of the best I've ever seen at Kapono's. The Ledheads filled about five tables, two tables of friends from Japan, another two or three tables of locals, and a few tables of mainland visitors. Gavin had a sweet falsetto, Barry does some great "slack key stylings" in standard tuning, and Alika is a rhythm machine. We'll be here through next week so we'll be back to see Ledward next Tuesday.

Oh, and on the way out we passed Chai's Bistro where Robi Kahakalau was doing "No Ke Ano Ahiahi" with a Jawaiian twist - not my usual cup of tea but this was quite a compelling rendition of one of my favorite pieces.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  2:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
OK, no music Wednesday and Thursday - hey, what did we do, anyway? Actually, we caught a poolside show at the hotel, our deal at the JW Marriott at Ko`olina is really nice but, sorry, no Hawaiian style artists so far. Lottsa that pop stuff, so you know I won't be coming here if I can help it.

But we made up for it on Friday and today. Friday evening over to Native Books to enjoy Irmgaard Mihana Farden Souza (Auntie Irmgaard's daughter) presenting her new CD. Mihana performed with her mom for years, and after her kids were raised began her own songwriting and performing career. Her first, "Rust On the Moon" has been a fave, the new one is "Dream a Little Dream of You" and it's pretty compelling too. Both titles are Auntie Irmgaard songs, but most of the other compositions are Mihana originals. Some jazzy, some country-ish, some bluesy-rocky, but all terrific songs with lyrics both catchy, fun, and deep as well. Mihana is one of those folks who are obviously totally comfortable on stage, she just picks the audience up and wraps them in her arms.

She set up on the Wards Warehouse outdoor stage and had a strong audience of family and friends, so we got a nice collection of hula to go along with some of the tunes. It was one of those musical events that seem to happen in Hawai`i but not in Walnut Creek, CA, if you know what I mean.

Today we headed up for our first visit to Queen Emma's summer palace, where the Daughters of Hawai`i were holding their annual fundraiser/crafts fair/plate lunch/mele and hula extravaganza. In spite of the very heavy rains courtesy of tropical storm Kenneth, we and the rest of the crowd had a ball. The hula was charming, and got us in the mood for the featured performer, Makana. He mentioned that he began playing these events when he was about 13 and was returning after missing for a few years.

I offer the same suggestion that I have mentioned in the past - I would be pleased if he would mention the sources for tunes like Maunaloa Slack Key (the Poi Song) and Radio Hula, but at least he credited Slack Key #1 to Uncle Sonny. He got me in trouble with Lynnie, though. I had told her there was no way to do a slack key version of "Nu`uanu" which she is currently dancing with her halau. About halfway through his set, Makana capoed up to the 5th fret in drop C and played just a sweet version, complete with a vocal. I've been busted and gotten a new assignment, needless to say.

To our surprise, Mihana arrived and did a brief set at the show, so we got to enjoy her tunes and her style once again. As she says, songs of the place that so many call paradise, and these folks call home.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 10/03/2005 12:19:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks to all the patch-heads who suggested that Olomana with Jerry Santos, Haunani Apoliona and Wally Suenaga was a "don't miss." We had an adventure finding parking (without paying HHV prices), but it was certainly worth the walk. We made a little detour to the new (to us) Aloha Ukulele shop in the new (to us) Kalia Tower. Embarrassed to say I didn't get the proprietor's name, but he was a charming gentleman who plays sweet jazz stylings on the tenor uke. He showed me a very rich voiced Kamaka baritone that I was barely able to resist. When I asked about a koa nylon strung cutaway guitar on display, he pulled it out and invited me to slack it ... did I resist? Oh, some fun going through a few tunes on that beauty, a very nahenahe voice. We seemed to pull in a few customers as well, and finally wound up in a photo session with a young flute player from Japan who was shopping for CDs but wound up with an ukulele lesson, strumming through "Silent Night" after learning the C-F-G7 triumvirate. I'm pretty sure this was one of those "only in Hawai`i" moments.

On to the Paradise Lounge, and what a lot of fun. Great singing, great song selection, great stories, tremendous energy!! Haunani's slack key was very very interesting, she uses the familiar shapes to play a strong driving rhythm on her Alvarez-Yairi doubleneck 6/12. The 12 string neck in taropatch, the 6 in some C wahine maybe? Jerry was playing a Taylor in standard and another in taro F or maybe his D tuning? Why didn't I ask, you ask? 'Cause I'm a big shy dummy, and all I could do was blather about how great their music was, and how much they are recommended on this placed called Taropatch.net.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2005 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
OK, I guess we're just lightweights. We should be headed over to Waikiki to see George Kuo, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi, but we're toast. We just spent four incredible hours at Honey's drenched in the sounds of Mike Ka`awa, Ocean Ka`owili, and Analu Aina, along with a room full of singers, dancers, and enthusiastic fans. This band just smokes, they seem to know every song in the Hawaiian universe, each of them is a great player and singer, and they play together like a magnificent unstoppable machine.

The audience is at least half the experience. Tonight the room was packed, they spilled over onto the patio, and I heard they were turning people away. The vast majority are locals, many getting up to sing, play the uke or guitar, or dance hula singly or in groups. Some of the singers, players, and dancers are well known, judging by the reaction (I'm far too limited in my knowledge to recognize these folks), others are being egged on by their friends and family. This is one of those experiences that could cause a permanent facial distortion - a big wide goofy grin that just won't go away.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  02:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Once again Fran, I wish I was a little person in your pocket traveling with you! You sure seem to know where all the good music is! Thanks for the great commentaries on your musical adventures in Hawaii!

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  06:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Fran, an FYI for your next visit to HHV -- valet parking is free, and there's a valet desk right there at the back door to Paradise Lounge (end of the long main entrance driveway). Generous tips are suggested!

We'll be there this Friday night with friends -- will this be our opportunity to finally meet???

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  08:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mahina, it's no trick to have great musical adventures here on O`ahu. I just get the Advertiser and look for names in my CD collection <grin>. There's so much great music that we have to let some go by.

Auntie Maria, I'm sitting here with my face all red and blisters on my feet! We gave up on cheapskate parking, feeling all burned out, and headed up Kalakaua to H1 when my ku`u Lina spotted a parking place and challenged me to walk back to HHV. I (being of the big dumb male persuasion) couldn't turn away from her challenge, even though I was wearing "dress up" loafers with no socks, ooooooh I'm paying for it now. Still worth it of course, but I'm definitely going to go for valet next time!

Sad to say, we're leaving on Friday AM for the next leg of our trip, off to the Big Island, Tahiti Fete, Kona Bob (if he's back from the mainland), and whatever musical adventures we can find Kona side.

We'll be on the Garden Isle next spring and try to connect then, I hope. Have a safe and fun visit.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Fran.

Thanks for the musical journey. Okay, I give up, what is HHV? My wife and I, plus the Lennon's are arriving on O`ahi on Thursday for our musical adventure. Auntie Maria, maybe we can hook up there. Generous tipping for valet parking is okay by me.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  12:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloha, large dog,

Hilton Hawaiian Village. I'm about half insulted by the name, especially considering that the "village" consists mostly of shops intended to separate designer-label-chasers from their money, but I have to give 'um credit for bringing in some terrific musicians - Herb Jr. and David play the beach bar a couple of afternoons a week (if Patrick hasn't stolen them away) and Jerry Santos brings versions of Olomana Friday and Saturday nights.

Sounds like we're gonna cross over, we're pulling out Friday AM. One of the performers at Honey's mentioned that there's an ongoing kanikapila near the Waikiki police station on Thursdays and Sundays at 8 PM. We plan to be there this week.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Fran, thanks for the tour. Brings back memories.

I got a few observationas and questions though.

When Sarah and I caught Olomana at the HHV, Haunani was playing this humongous Gibson Super Jumbo. It roared and rumbled and was wonderful. Did she do any of that, or has she changed her act?

The room we remember was a small annex to a bar and it had BIG square piilars you had to look around to see the performers. Is it still like this or did they change the venue?

Wally Suenaga was a revelation to us. Most bass players we have encountered just stay in the background, but Suenaga was/is definitely a musician and would take serious melodic breaks. Expanded our understanding of what a bassist could do in slack key. Is he still doing that?

Jerry Santos really made us trip over our minds. "Who is this haole guy with the short hair and the little mustache and the little pot?" Then he played and sang. Same as ever. MOREOVER, we were *absolutely* convinced he was *pushing* the strings with the tips of his fingers, rather than plucking them, as he played. We only had a single G&T to keep the management off our backs, so we were clear and clean as we watched and listened. Did you notice any of that at all?

More.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

Mahalo. We're staying at the Outrigger Reef. Not too much of a walk to HHV. I'll try to catch you at the kanikapila.

Safe travels,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  7:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid
When Sarah and I caught Olomana at the HHV, Haunani was playing this humongous Gibson Super Jumbo. It roared and rumbled and was wonderful. Did she do any of that, or has she changed her act?

No Gibson SJ, just a jumbo A-Y doubleneck, with oval soundhole, very similar to the one George Kuo plays. I understand Uncle Sonny had a similar instrument. She did a fair amount of roaring and rumbling, though. She also had a pedal board in front of her that put my old rock'n'roll rig to shame. It was kinda cute to see her bare feet peek out and punch one of the pedals.

quote:
The room we remember was a small annex to a bar and it had BIG square piilars you had to look around to see the performers. Is it still like this or did they change the venue?

Same room, but the seating is arranged so many seats have a good view. Ours, dead front and center, certainly did.

quote:
Wally Suenaga was a revelation to us. Most bass players we have encountered just stay in the background, but Suenaga was/is definitely a musician and would take serious melodic breaks. Expanded our understanding of what a bassist could do in slack key. Is he still doing that?

Yeah, Wally was popping and thumping and taking breaks.

quote:
Jerry Santos really made us trip over our minds. "Who is this haole guy with the short hair and the little mustache and the little pot?" Then he played and sang. Same as ever. MOREOVER, we were *absolutely* convinced he was *pushing* the strings with the tips of his fingers, rather than plucking them, as he played. We only had a single G&T to keep the management off our backs, so we were clear and clean as we watched and listened. Did you notice any of that at all?

Sorry, I didn't catch such a motion, but then I was really focused on Haunani's plucks, strums, and back-of-the-thumb rakes.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 10/03/2005 7:41:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  08:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Tuesday = Kapono's, because there's nothing like a Led Ka`apana show. If you've been to a couple of Led's performances you may have noticed a wide variety of instruments sharing the stage. I've seen the famous Martin 000-16 with the "automatic shift" on the low E, of course, and the little black Guild, there was a 12 string at one show, an autoharp at another, a banjo, two different solid body `ukuleles, and recently a Taylor 414. But last night was the first time I've seen the master going to town on an electric guitar. His "standard tuning" instrument was a Strat clone, and naturally he made it sing so sweet. Led took advantage of the sustain to stretch out on two different ballad medleys that each wove together about a half dozen melodies from the forties, fifties, sixties, and seventies into a dreamy pop concerto.

Those hours on the road during Led's recent mainland tour seemed to provide a lot of time to experiment, because the Martin was also spilling out some outrageous new licks in old familiar slack key pieces. The Fearless One found room for stuttering muted clucks and bluesy double string bends that took me by surprise in the middle of "Ku`u Ipo Onaona."

The crowd at Kapono's was way up from our previous visits, which was great to see. By the middle of the evening every table was occupied, with a medium (four table) gang of Led Heads, two or three tables of visitors from the mainland, one couple from Japan, and a bunch of folks Led identified as the American Airlines gang. We even brought guests ourselves, Lynn's cousin and husband visiting Hawai`i for the first time. They were really happy to catch this special part of island life, made even better by a talk-story visit by Danny Lopez, who regaled us on a break with tales of his Savannah, GA grandkids lined up to say "Aloha, y'all."

I've probably said this every time I've posted about music on this island, but folks, I'm telling you again, if you're in Honolulu on a Tuesday evening, you really owe it to yourself to get over to Kapono's at the Aloha Tower marketplace. Ledward Ka`apana is one of the all time masters of guitar, regardless of style, and the feeling he projects will take your visit to the next level.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Fran,

My next trip to Hawaii will definitely have a Honolulu stop incorporated. It seems like I miss a lot by not stopping on Oahu! I would not miss a show by Led either, if I know he's playing somewhere. He is truly one of the best there is, hands down!

M
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  9:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
M, as hard as we try to chase shows here, we miss more than we catch. Auntie Genoa Keawe, Sean Na`auao, Ray Sowders, Robi Kahakalau, George, Martin, and Aaron, these are just the artists we know about who are performing regularly around town, doing traditional music, and getting listed in the Hono Advertiser. I'm sure there's lots more going on that we don't even know about.

And, of course, this is a place of stunning beauty and charm. We circled the island today with Lynn's cousin, here on her first visit to the state. The dancing water of the east end, thunderous surf at Sandy's, exquisite beaches of Lanikai and Kailua, majesty of the Ko`olaus, country calm of the north shore. Many people we talk to think O`ahu is only Honolulu, H1 traffic jams, and Waikiki shopping hustle, but there's so much more.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  10:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
To follow the previous post, after we circled the island we brought cousin Cathy and hubby Greg back to HHV where they're staying a few days, and headed down to the Tropics beach bar where the inimitable Herb Ohta Jr. plays ukulele duets with David "sweet fingers" Kamakahi. These guys are _real_ players, folks. Both gentlemen were using KoAloha low G tenors, and they sounded absolutely lovely. They traded off lead and rhythm on soft jazz, pop, and traditional Hawaiian material, both guys dancing up and down the fretboard to pull colorful harmonies and entrancing counter melodies into the musical blend.

Picture the scene: balmy breeze, sparkling sand, exquisite sunset, and these two artists weaving a magic spell on their little koa boxes. Our only regret was that it had to end. Just because Herb got hungry <grin>.

Thanks, guys, for sharing your talent.

Fran

PS: Auntie Maria, we did the valet parking thing - it was SOOOOO much better than walking 8 blocks in the wrong shoes <grin>.

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 10/05/2005 10:05:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page