Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 South Bay Open Mic - Oct 05
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:00:49 AM  Show Profile
Next South Bay (San Jose) Open Mic is coming close -- Wed. Oct 5
Espresso Garden on Bascom.

Doors open at 6:30.
Sign up - no longer wait till 7 -- first come first serve when the board gets put out, which should be very close to doors open time.

First performance at 7:15.

Count on 15 minutes times per act which includes set up time. Gives you ample time for 2, maybe 3 numbers, typically plan for a (short) hano ho. OK if you only want to do 1 song.

If we have a full slate, I'll watch the time more carefully. If we don't get 9 performers, timing can be more lax.

Kona Bob is probably going to visit.

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  06:58:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to going to my first South Bay Open Mic next week. It always sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. I told Konabob that I'll bring my Superior lap for him to use. I don't know how to play it (yet), so it might as well get some use. Maybe he can transfer some of his mojo into it..(after brushing away the spider webs...)

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Super -- looking forward to seeing you there
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile
E RobO, what made you wait so long to join us? This next week should be really great, I just love KonaBob, and his wonderful wife Shirley.
I was hoping to have this vintage Rickenbacker I bought on eBay last week, (unfortunately not a Frying Pan) because I know Bob can make it sing.

Bob, what was that song we played on Maui that was so sweet, was it Pua Lilia or another one? Can't remember, you know, those senior moments are turning into senior hours...

Aloha no, Julie
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  05:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Julie...
I guess I waited so long because I'm still a relative beginner slack key player and beginner uke player, and I wanted to wait to go until I felt confident enough to play a song or two. But, with that self-imposed prerequisite, I now realize it may be a long time before I get to join in on the fun. So, I've decided to remove that unnecessary pressure and at least come and watch. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy..... At any rate, I'm going to just dive in and try to start making some connections with the TP ohana. BTW...I saw you guys at the Aloha in the Redwoods while you were playing and singing in the shade...I was hovering over your shoulder a couple of times... When I saw how low key the kanikapila was, I regretted not bringing my guitar and my uke. Well, eventually I'll get my feet wet. I've also met some of you at Patrick's Hawaiian Music Institute last year with Uncle Dennis, Uncle Cyril, David, and Herb Jr. And also attended Peter Medeiros' workshop at Gryphon this summer, and saw familiar TP faces there too. I'm absolutely hooked on playing hawaiian music, so I'm going to start venturing out of my comfort zone and start joining in on the fun. Wow, you asked a simple question and I've more than rambled on huh? Aloha

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  09:44:22 AM  Show Profile
Raymond,

Again due to work constraints I will be running late. Add me to the end again if you would. I think Mark will be with me this time.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  7:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Consider it done
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  2:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I just got into San Jose today. Love visiting California! We are planning to get to Espresso Gardens plenty early. I am going to bring a bass along with me just in case the opportunity arises. It will be great to see Mark again.
-aloha
Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  4:05:45 PM  Show Profile
EG used to open their doors at 6:30 for us. I think they are now just keeping open straight through the day into the evening. So, if you want to get there earlier, I don't think there will be a problem.

Anyone planning to do so, however, might consider posting here to let others know they are coming. a 1 person party isn't all that much fun
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are some photos from Pulelehua:

Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  7:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Andy, mahalo for posting these photos for me from the Espresso Garden open mic in September 2005!

In descending order of appearance above are:

Na La'au Ki'eki'e
RJS
Julie Hendriks
PearlCityBoy
Kiwini
'Ilio Nui

Looking forward to another delicious dinner, supportive performance venue, and the best music in the world!

Aloha,
Pulelehua

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2005 :  8:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Pulelehua, for the photos! We had such a great time and the fun thing is performing for people who refrain from lobbing overripe tomatoes at the stage when you have an oopsie!

KonaBob and Shirley, Larry and I will try to get there early as well and maybe we can have dinner together and chat before the mad rush at the sign-up board. Anyone else game?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Raymond,

I'm planning to play again at the open mic tomorrow and am looking forward to seeing Kona Bob and Shirley, along with the rest of the Kahumoku Workshop and Taropatch gang. I'm not sure if I can get there early since it's a haul from the East Bay--but I'll try. Which reminds me, I better practice tonight!

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  6:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Wish I were there!
The west coast gets the best gatherings outside Hawaii!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  08:06:25 AM  Show Profile
"Hot Hawaiian Nights, San Jose."
Nothing like having an accomplished musician from the Islands join the evening to get everything kicked up a notch.
The music was really smokin' last night - thanks to all the musicians, as well as our "audience." Extra thanks to Lawrence for handling the sound system. And special thanks to KonaBob for joing us and bringing his slide stylings.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Cy er.. Pulelehua for sharing the pictures. It looks like Larry's walking stick bass got pregnant.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000