Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 feedback on Ko'aloha custom 6 string
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Who's got the new custom tenor uke by Ko'aloha and how do you like it so far?
...seems more guitar like, with a little bit of mandolin quality...but punchy yet sweet sounds.
really love it's sound on Daniel Ho's cd...
and while the budget's tight...well I'm jus' thinkin' ahead.

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  04:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Write to Doug Katsumoto, Island Legends -
He's been busy with stuff like the Ukulele Festival this last weekend...
n
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  06:58:19 AM  Show Profile
I have had one on order for a few months. It should get here in the next few weeks. KoAloha is treating a D-VI order as a custom ukulele with several very nice options - (e.g. I asked for guitar dots vice ukulele dots, a built in pick-up, and maple binding).

I was able to play around with Daniel Ho's D-VI at the San Diego Ukulele festival a few weeks ago. It had a nicer tone than my current KoAloha Tenor ukulele (I string it low G) which I really like. Because the scale length is shorter, it will have much less sustain than my Taylor nylon string but much sweeter tone than playing the guitar at the fifth fret.

I have been chatting with Paul Okami (at KoAloha) and he assures me that the wood I selected will have;
quote:
Upon further inspection, the tone will come out really deep, with good sustain. Pretty much what you want with the D-VI.

Daniel plays the D-VI on his album with Herb Ohta Jr. "Ukeleles in Paradise" (Herb in the left ear and Daniel in the right ear), on his solo album "KoAloha", and his album with George Kahumoku Jr. "Hymns of Hawaii 2". In all three, the D-VI is sweet and clear. Daniel is meticulous in playing each note with the tone he wants suing both rest and free strokes. I understand George Kahumoku, Jr. now has a D-VI as well.

Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta Jr. just recorded another album last week, but I don't know when it will be released. It features Herb's new signature KoAloha Tenor Ukulele and Daniel's newest D-VI.

You can contact Paul Okami through this forum. His moniker is "KoAloha".

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Daniel used Doug's when he played here in Gardena w/ George Kahumoku jr.
Go to Top of Page

KoAloha
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  10:26:07 PM  Show Profile
Kapila Kane - Give me a call at the shop or e-mail anytime, if you have questions about the D-VI.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000