Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Uke building at Aloha Camps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha -

I spoke with luthier Dennis Lake yesterday about his Build Your Own `Ukulele Classes at the Aloha Music Camps. Dennis had proposed building a vintage-style cigar-box `ukulele, similar to the highly collectable Kamaka instruments. All of the musicians he'd polled, myself included, thought this was way cool.

However, he has heard from a couple of folks who wanted to build the same Pineapple style he'd done at previous camps. So, here's what we'll do: you have your choice! You can build either a long-scale cigar box `ukulele, or a pineapple uke. Of course, we'll have to know in advance. Same details apply as to price, time commitment and fun quotient.

I'll change the website to reflect this ASAP.

Who says we don't listen to ya?

Please pass this on to anyone you know who may be interested.

cheers,

Mark

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,
Those cigar-box ukes are awesome. I had a chance to play a proto-type while having dinner at the Lake's in August. Wonderful rich sound. I'd love to make one at camp this year, but are there enough hours in the day to do all I want to do!!???

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  08:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
... in fact, i got the prototype for susie's birthday. her dad was crazy about cigar box ukuleles. it has an incredible tone.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  09:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Those cigar-box ukes are awesome. I had a chance to play a proto-type while having dinner at the Lake's in August. Wonderful rich sound. I'd love to make one at camp this year, but are there enough hours in the day to do all I want to do!!???

Life's too short to dither about what to do at any given moment. Carpe carp -- seize the fish! Take the bull by the tail and face the situation!

Seriously -- when are you ever going to get this chance again? Sure, it's a couple hours a day -- what's that compared to a lifetime of being able to answer the question "Where'd ya get that cool uke?" with a knowing smile and the statement, "I made it."

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000