Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Hawaii Concert Guide Podcast
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  9:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
There's a new podcast available feature concert information for Hawaiian artist performing on the mainland:

http://www.hawaiianconcertguide.com

It's not listed in iTunes yet but you can still subscribe by selected "Subscribe to Podcast..." from the "Advanced" menu and copying and pasting the following URL into the box:

http://www.hawaiianconcertguide.com/rss

When you're done press the OK button and you should be all set.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sorry Craig. For now, I've decided to remove the link. See http://keola.editthispage.com/discuss/msgReader$2071

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:46:35 AM  Show Profile
I think it is a good idea to leave the topic and the link to
Keola Donaghy's page so folks become aware of this kind of stuff.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/21/2005 07:47:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:56:31 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Lawrence. I looked at that site and indeed saw no other info than was available on mele.com, except for ways that the site operator could make a few dollars. Shame because I think there is a real niche to develop, especially with Maria's policy of publicing (at least by name) only Island based performers. He right to do that. Hal does a decent job with Bay Area Hawaiian Resources, but I'm sure there are more stateside based musicians playing Hawaiian music at venues about which I do not know.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  08:30:20 AM  Show Profile
I looked at his list, listened to a few podcasts, and some of the information is wrong. I agree with Keola Donaghy. He is playing song snippets from the artists' web sites in the podcast. Don't know if that is implied permission from the artist or not.

Keola is more informative anyway.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, I've had an email conversation with Andrew, the host of the podcast that's being called into question, and he's pretty upset at all of this. He says that he used many online calendars as well as artists' web sites to compile the information that went into his podcasts, that he contacted both Keola and Maria weeks ago to discuss reciprocal links, and that he now feels Keola and Auntie Maria have stolen his idea by putting together Maria's podcast with the same format as his. To be honest, if what he's saying is true then I tend to agree.

As for the Amazon.com and Google ad links on his site, so what? The bandwidth for podcasting costs money...he'll be lucky if he covers even half those costs with the links he has. Get mad at Auntie Maria for making money selling CDs while you're at it. And if an artist offers music clips on their web site for free public consumption and this guy mixes them into his podcast to help promote the artist you're going to jump on him for that too? Give me a break. (Keola was referring to a different podcast that was playing full tracks from the artists' CDs in his criticism, which was fully justified.)

This is a guy who has a genuine love for Hawaiian music and a genuine desire to help promote it. Let's all beat the crap out of anyone who should dare to try and spread that love around.

I'm obviously in a good mood today.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/21/2005 11:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  11:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Craig, my friend, you know we have a high regard for you, and you know we have a high regard for Keola and Maria, and we might very well have a high regard for Piko/Andrew if this were not such a blurry area. Normally, I would stay out of something like this that doesn't directly concern me, but it is painful to see good people get crosswise with one another in such a nebulous situation. Please don't feel so badly about this; let it play out on its own - it is a very new kind of situation, after all (could this have even happened 2 years ago?), and there are not very clear guidelines about how to do what or how to judge anything.

I hope this doesn't make things worse, and if it does, just tell me to shut up, and I will (unlike usually :-).

me ke aloha,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  12:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No, I appreciate your respect and your input. I'm just ticked off that people (including Keola) are jumping on this guy without knowing all the facts.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  2:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
I looked at my posting after your last comments - in part you are correct in that I didn't have the whole story. I also didn't mean to lambast the guy 'cause he has some links to shirt vendors. Frankly, if the blog has info that I can't find at mele and Bay Area H Resources, i'd be happy to pay for it. So let me restate my most important point -
I think there is a real need for someone to create a list of Hawaiian music events taking place on the mainland which includes notices for stateside based entertainers. In terms of getting notices from the usual suspects - I suspect sending the known groups an email of the site will eliminate any cribbing from other lists. Someone wants to give me a free plug, I'll take it. How to ferret out the less well known stateside performers might be a more difficult task.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  2:53:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
What this guy is primarily offering is a free podcast, a downloadable MP3 that you can listen to to get the concert information. Using a program like iTunes you can subscribe (again for free) to this podcast and have the new ones downloadaded automatically to your computer where you can listen to them or transfer them to your portable MP3 player. That's what makes it different and original from the text schedules that he is drawing from to create the podcast. It's the equivalent of a radio show getting concert information from the web and then presenting it on the air to their listeners.

What Keola seems to be complaining about is that he doesn't feel Andrew has the right to take the information Auntie Maria has published on the web and use it as part the resources for his audio show. What Andrew is complaining about is that Keola and Auntie Maria appear to have copied the format of his show to do their own version of it (Keola worked with Auntie Maria to produce Maria's show) but Keola is complaining that Andrew is unfairly copying from Auntie Maria. (I have no idea what Auntie Maria's take is on this so I'll leave her out of it.)

Personally I think Keola jumped to a hasty and unreasonable conclusion with his original accusation and owes Andrew an apology.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/26/2005 1:59:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2005 :  10:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
There is a big difference in being creative and copying. I think the complaint is he is copying what is already on someone elses site. They are not copying his.

He can certainly Podcast all he wants, but he has not received permissions to play (distribute) other peoples works. Its a fact that he did copy the concert list from Auntie Maria's site.

Just my opinion but doing cut and paste jobs from what other people have created without their permission does not qualify for broadcast.

Edited by - Ianui on 10/23/2005 09:28:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  1:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
We're talking about concert schedules here...information that is by its very nature intended to be spread around to as many people as possible. Are you saying, Don, that if Andrew were to be the first to publish informatoin on one of the concerts you're putting together on his site then Auntie Maria doesn't have the right to publish the same information on her site without Andrew's permission? Or if she does that she has to word the information differently from what Andrew has? I still can't believe we're all having this conversation in the first place. Am I missing the point somewhere?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Don't like plagiarizing, but I see Craig's point too. I decided to put the links back. Frankly, I do not know who gets what from where, but I do know that these shows need all the publicity they can get. Guess I'm going the other way now. Innocent until proven guilty. In the meantime, we're all old enough to figure out which sites we want or don't want to visit.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  05:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Craig here is how I know he copied the schedule from Auntie Maria's web site.

Auntie Maria removes Patrick Landeza's name from any concert he is listed to play in. If your friend listed concerts on his own, then why did he also omit Patrick's name from those same concerts.

I certainly agree anyone can list concerts, but your fried is copying what others have on their web sites.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  07:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Easy solution - Don't click on it in the future
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  08:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks Andy.

Don, I never said he didn't copy information from Auntie Maria's site, just that it wasn't the only place he got information from, and that the information he copied was information that she herself got from somewhere else and that was intended to be publically distributed.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/26/2005 10:37:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000