Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 SCSKS / BRITNI PAIVA WORKSHOP
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  04:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Aloha there SCSKS dudes, Hey great news!! The day after the John Keawe/Britni Paiva concert in Whittier on 11.12.05 Britni will be down in Carlsbad joining the Uke club down there for and informal get together of some sorts. Anyways...a friend-of-a-friend who's mom is a friend-of-a-friend of Britni's says she can offer some informal slack-key workshops throughout the afternoon. It'll be at one of the Pacific ballrooms near the Karl Straus brewery, (y' know, the one by LegoLand) Cost will be $35.00 but well worth it I imagine.
For those who missed Britni's workshop in Cerritos earlier this month, this will be a good opportunity. If you haven't seen Britni perform, she is quite awesome. Only 16 years!! yikes!! she's goooood.
I was talking to the organizer a few nights ago at the John Cruz concert and he asked if I happen to know people who play slack key, (huh?). I told him I would spread the word.:0
I'll have better/more details Monday...stay tune.
-slkho

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  05:20:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
For those who missed Britni's workshop in Cerritos earlier this month

She didn't do a slack key workshop in Cerritos.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  07:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

quote:
For those who missed Britni's workshop in Cerritos earlier this month

She didn't do a slack key workshop in Cerritos.

Then everyone missed it.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  08:10:35 AM  Show Profile
I talked to Frank Leong last night (of the Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers) at the weekly, Wednesday night Kani-ka-pizza. He said Brittni's Mom had asked him what we would like Brittni to cover at the workshops - sort of give her more direction to work on than what she did at Cerritos. So, if you have some definite ideas let me know and I can funnel them through Frank to Brittni's Mom.

I suggested that I would like to know the basics of how to jam with ukulele/bass players when playing a Hawaiian song say, in the key of F with Taro Patch F or in the key of G with Taro Patch G. What are the most common chords/easiest chord forms (say I, IV, V7); what are the common types of vamps/turnarounds; what scales and/or parallel 3rds/6ths are useful to be able to follow a song's ukulele chord chart; and how do you tie it all together and jam on in. I think we can all memorize a tablature piece -- but that doesn't help when someone asks, what can we sing and play with you -- or what can you sing and play with us?

Some of y'all SCSKS bubbas may know (like Keith) but I don't.

Dusty - she will also do a ukulele workshop so if Shiela has some ideas, please chime on in.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  12:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Yup, I know she didn't tap on a slack key class, (she ended up giving a Uke class) but she will at this event, which would be cool.
-slkho

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  1:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'd like to know how to significantly improve my playing ability without significantly increasing my practice time. If she can teach me that I'll teach her what guys are REALLY thinking. (It will save her the years of emotional stress she'll save me.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/20/2005 2:03:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  2:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Yikes!
Sorry Craig, just time. You have to put the time in, short or long.
Sorry bro.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  4:58:12 PM  Show Profile
Now, Craig, since you are already practicing 2 hours a day, you shouldn't have to significantly increase your practice time to increase your proficiency, should you?
Go to Top of Page

kahealani
Akahai

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kahealani's Homepage
Hi Everyone!
I'm really looking forward to being in CA again!
Yeah, if you have any ideas, just pass them right along to me, so you don't have to relay messages.
My e-mail is info @ brittnipaiva.com

Practicing 2 hours a day should only be increasing your proficiency in playing.
The only way to play better is to challenge yourself.
At the workshops, I'll explain how to make the most of your practicing time, and I'll also answer any questions you may have, but some of the things I do in my practice times are: scales, riffs, picking techniques, etc. I can explain and show more of these at the workshops. Will try to have as many handouts as possible.

Thank you!

Aloha,
Brittni Paiva

Brittni Paiva
www.brittnipaiva.com
www.myspace.com/brittnipaiva

Edited by - kahealani on 10/20/2005 8:29:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
He was kidding about the 2 hours a day...it's more like 30 minutes at best. I AM thinking about writing a book called "What Guys Really Think" though, so my daughter can read it when she gets older.

A good practice routine would definitely be worth having. I'd love to break out of just playing through various tabs and start developing more general skills.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/21/2005 06:58:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  06:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

I'm thinking about writing a book called "What guys really think" so my daughter can read it when she gets older.
Potentially could be a best seller. But I do not even know what I'm thinking half the time!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:19:13 AM  Show Profile
....Like Uncle Clinton used to say, Play don't Practice. Although I'm a firm believer on practice-practice-practice followed by repitition-repitition-repitition, then start all over again. :-)
Thanks for the feedback Britni, I look forward to meeting you again, and learning anything new.
Mahalo nui loa,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Rik!
It's a good thing you don't have daughters!!
p
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  07:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Brittni,
I guess what we would all like to do is to be able to play/sound better. Simple but hard.

I like the watch, listen, learn of a workshop and the ability to meet an exceptionally talented musician (like you) on a personal level - talk story. But after I get home, much is forgotten. That is why the handouts are so important - as a reminder of the major points of what was taught and a guide to structure practice and reinforce the learning (both in the workshop and back at home).

I sat in on two of your ukulele workshops in Cerritos - one on turnarounds and one on improvisation. The turnarounds was great; very interesting chord formations for standard turnarounds in several keys. I walked in late and missed your introduction so had to play catch up. Good thing the man next to me let me borrow a pen so I could write down what you put on the whiteboard or your words would have been lost. Fortunately for me, it was written in my Roy Sakuma Ukulele Chord dictionary book.

For improvisation, the room was very large with too many people. I never made the connection between the standard key of C Major blues chord progression you presented and the C scale improvisation. When Dusty's wife, Shiela, and I tried to play together -- one the chords and the other the free scale improvisation -- we couldn't hear each other over the noise and either couldn't remember the chord progression or the scale. We just looked at each other funny. Frustrating.

I would like to hear what you have to say on ho'o ma'ama'a (practice). I once heard at a Chris Proctor workshop, a very talented Taylor Guitar clinician, that "good practice annoys other people" -- in other words we practice what we can't already play in order to master it and move to the next challenge, and in the process annoy anyone that might be listening for music. My wife has closed the door to my music room many times - a good sign (I guess or I am hooribly bad - either one).

If you are in San Diego on a weekday you can tour the Taylor Guitar Factory. Very interesting and informative. You might be able to call them and get a "musician's tour" maybe even get a chance to play the new T5.

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  08:01:38 AM  Show Profile
I think it is important to get a good system for making the most of practicing, and I'm glad someone is going to address this in a workshop format. For people who can't attend, however there are various tapes and books available on developingpractice "protocols." A good cup of coffee or other drink and an hour or so in a Borders or Barnes & Noble could be very helpful. (Don't know about you folk, but I tend to use these stores as my "reference library.")
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile
Wondered why so many books looks used.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000