Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 flatpick
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
I know, no flatpicks for slack key (unless you're Barry Flanagan). But, these Tortis picks are amazing, and expensive. $20 a pop, so not items to misplace. They sound bigger and cleaner than Tortex or plastic, hands down.

http://www.redbeartrading.com/picks.html

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  1:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
As much as I wanted to clutch my wallet and resist hearing any significant difference, I have to admit that the tortis pick is clearer and louder than anything else I've heard. Still a little resistant to purchasing but I can confidently say that it produces a better tone. I'm trying to invent a pick "lo-jack" so that if I do own one of these, I won't easily lose or misplace it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  2:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Tony Rice once told me that the tone resides in the player, rather than in the equipment. Clarence White could produce incredible tone even from using a 50 cent piece for a pick.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

pastorharry
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  5:51:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit pastorharry's Homepage
True,to a point,(and easy for T.R.& Clarence to say),but remember Tony uses only certain strings on certain guitars and only real tortise picks,and Clarence's FAVORITE pick was that old 50 cent piece that was ground thin on the side he picked with.Yes, it's the player but good gear does help!Take it from one who needs all the help he can get! Aloha, Pastor Harry

Isaiah 38:20
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  03:23:54 AM  Show Profile
Pick lojack = guitar sound hole, at least that's where my 3 year old likes to put them, and other various sundry items.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  10:03:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow at 20 or so dollars a pop!.,,,the way I lose picks I'd need a second job just to play guitar! Almost hard to believe they make that much of a sound difference!..Ken.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  04:42:18 AM  Show Profile
I use Tortex mostly for my flatpick needs. I have a Golden Gate, it's nice. (Mostly I use a "Dobro" style Dunlop thumbpick, filed down point, and Dunlop brass finger picks.) As for ki ho'alu and flatpicks, listen to Leonard Kwan's "Red Album" and check out "Kaneohe-Mama E". It sounds like a flatpick or at least LK's famous thumb doing most of the work.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000